SportsWrath

Former pro bowl/All pro OT Jake Long visits Giants today

osi724dasack

Nbc sports

"Jake Long

AP

The Giants, who are likely to be without their starting left tackle for at least part of the 2015 season, have reportedly huddled with a four-time Pro Bowler at the position.

Ex-Ram Jake Long, who has struggled with injuries in recent seasons, met with the Giants on Thursday, per Dan Graziano of ESPN.com.

The No. 1 overall pick in 2008 by Miami, the 30-year-old Long has torn his right ACL in back-to-back seasons, most recently on October 26. He also has suffered biceps and triceps tears in 2011 and 2012, respectively. The Rams released Long in March after two seasons.

The Giants’ incumbent left tackle, Will Beatty, suffered a pectoral tear last week. The injury could force first-round pick Ereck Flowers to step into the lineup right off the bat on the left side.

If healthy, Long would bolster the Giants’ tackle depth, giving them insurance in the event Flowers isn’t ready. However, Long would have to pass a physical."

Dominant LT up until 2011

Since then it's been IR every year

2008-2011 1st overall pick and 4 pro bowls

2011: IR Torn Triceps

2012: IR torn biceps

2013: torn ACL

2014: torn ACL (October)

If his knees are healthy, his upper body should be fresh.

Kick those tires Reese!

This would be a Sean Andrews type stopgap signing, Long can probly give us 5-6 good starts up until he goes on IR again but by then Beatty will hopefully be nearing his return

He left NY without a contract. Not sure if that means the FO doesn't think his health warrants a deal, or that Long is looking for a payday beyond what the Giants feel is reasonable.

If he's healthy enough to fill in for Beatty for 8 games and play up to his past potential, he would certainly be worth an incentive laden, short-term contract. I trust the FO knows what it is doing (knock on wood)

I think its funny. People have been mentioning this idea of bringing Jake Long in as they tweeted or posted Will Beatty is out for five months with a pec injury. Now after the team has seen Flowers in action during the OTA, they call Jake Long. Now with his injury history and our team injury history; sounds like a match made in hell. Surprised if he makes it out of the stadium healthy.

• 1 month later...

I have to believe, one way or another, we'll bring in another OT. Going with a rookie at LT and a journeyman back up at RT sounds like a good way to short circuit the season before it starts. I hate to give up draft choices, especially say, a 2nd or 3rd but in this case, I think you have to do it if you can land a legitimate starting LT. This would allow Flowers to go back to RT and the OL might have a chance to be passable. Otherwise, we could be looking at another long season.

I really don't think we see anyone signed until rosters start gettting shaved down after camps are over. Any way you slice it, it's going to be a stop gap kinda guy.

I keep taking comfort in the offense's ability to get the ball out quickly under McAdoo. If they can do that, then it solves a lot of ills for the offensive line. Where you'd see the catastrophic failure is if the offensive line can't run block. If they can't do that, then we have no run game, then we become one dimensional, then pass rushers just tee off knowing what's coming. Really, all we need to ask our offensive line for is 3-4 seconds in pass blocking and to be above average in run blocking. They don't need to be Dallas offensive line dominant to be successful.

It would be easier to get a guard and move Pugh to LT and put Flowers ar RT. Mathis is still out there, but wants too much. Hearing Andy Levitre may be released. Levitre struggled last year giving up six sacks, but Whiz moved him all around due to injuries. He was probably the top guard in the NFL two years ago

Sounds like they are moving forward with plan A.

Plan A is to move through training camp with the team we have now. There will be no more injured starters, players that are expected to start will do so and play up to if not beyond expectations. It would be a good sign if they didn't shuffle the offensive line again but I think it should be.

Plan B was to use some of the cap space we still have sign Jake Long 1-2 yr contract, gives us depth at OT and come up with best possible offensive line with depth.

We are one injury away from starting Brandon Mosley and John Jerry.

I really don't think we see anyone signed until rosters start gettting shaved down after camps are over. Any way you slice it, it's going to be a stop gap kinda guy.

I keep taking comfort in the offense's ability to get the ball out quickly under McAdoo. If they can do that, then it solves a lot of ills for the offensive line. Where you'd see the catastrophic failure is if the offensive line can't run block. If they can't do that, then we have no run game, then we become one dimensional, then pass rushers just tee off knowing what's coming. Really, all we need to ask our offensive line for is 3-4 seconds in pass blocking and to be above average in run blocking. They don't need to be Dallas offensive line dominant to be successful.

Yeah when you look at it, nobody on the Giants line is playing the same position as last year. It's all either new guys or new positions.

I don't think Eli is going to make it through all 16 games to be honest. He's tough as nails and I sure as hell hope I'm wrong.