SportsWrath

Corey Washington

Nas

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/12/offense_making_progress_and_whats_the_deal_with_corey_washington_giants_offensive_observations.html

Corey Washington playing time

Coughlin tried to explain rookie wide receiver Corey Washington's playing time (or lack thereof) earlier in the week. Washington was on the field for one snap against the Redskins even with starter Rueben Randle benched for the second time in three games early in last Sunday's contest.

Washington is clearly behind Kevin Ogletree on the depth chart. The rookie only came on the field for his one snap because Preston Parker got banged up and the Giants were out of options.

Washington caught a pass for four yards on that play. He has five catch for 52 yards and a touchdown on 54 snaps this season. That's a reception every 10 or so snaps. Rookie phenom Odell Beckham averages a reception every nine or so snaps.

So why isn't Washington on the field more? What does he have to do?

"Do a better job on the practice field. Do a better job all around," coach Tom Coughlin said. "My standard operating procedure is I like to have the fourth and the fifth receivers be outstanding contributors on special teams. We're not there right now. That would help a lot. Corey can be and has been on our punt return and our kickoff return team. I'd like to see him improve in that area as well."

Consider me confused. He can't play offense because he's not good enough yet on special teams?

Washington is 6-4 and has produced every time he's been put on the field this year, whether it be training camp, preseason or the regular season. Coughlin insists it's not a matter of learning the offense either. Washington has that part down.

"No, he does a good job," Coughlin said. "He can play multiple positions from the standpoint of knowing what to do. He's done that from day one. He does have to, obviously, become better at his job."

So why can't he get some more snaps on offense, especially with the season long lost? Consider me confused on this one.

This is part of the 'Coughlin Code' that bugs me. Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach, borderline Hall of Famer, but it would seem to me that certain players are going to have superior skills in one area, that don't translate to others.

Odell Beckham was a first round pick, missed basically all of camp, and preseason. He did not have to 'earn' his way onto the first team offense because he clearly has the talent to improve the offense with his presence. Because Washington was not a first rounder, I believe undrafted, he somehow has to be a great gunner or something before he can help the team on offense? Clearly, Washington has ability, and clearly, the Giants have a need at starting receiver opposite Beckham, because of the lack of improvement by Randle, and the talent drop-off at the position behind him.

A coach's job should be to put the best players in the most optimal positions to help the team win games. I think Washington's talent is being wasted, and he's demonstrated ability as a weapon already enough for everyone to see that he should get more snaps to prove he can be a starter at the highest level, especially given this is not a playoff team, and given Randle's struggles.

This is part of the 'Coughlin Code' that bugs me. Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach, borderline Hall of Famer, but it would seem to me that certain players are going to have superior skills in one area, that don't translate to others.

Odell Beckham was a first round pick, missed basically all of camp, and preseason. He did not have to 'earn' his way onto the first team offense because he clearly has the talent to improve the offense with his presence. Because Washington was not a first rounder, I believe undrafted, he somehow has to be a great gunner or something before he can help the team on offense? Clearly, Washington has ability, and clearly, the Giants have a need at starting receiver opposite Beckham, because of the lack of improvement by Randle, and the talent drop-off at the position behind him.

A coach's job should be to put the best players in the most optimal positions to help the team win games. I think Washington's talent is being wasted, and he's demonstrated ability as a weapon already enough for everyone to see that he should get more snaps to prove he can be a starter at the highest level, especially given this is not a playoff team, and given Randle's struggles.

Kinda like the talent we are wasting with Moore, oh wait.

How many undrafted players have we watched in pre-season light up a game against third string scrub to not do anything in the regular season? Cruz is the only exception I can think of.

Coughlin has been a WRs/Offensive guy his entire life, if anything I would take his opinion over some sports beat writer tying to make some story over a losing teams final two games. Do people not remember where Odell first got experience when he got back from injuries? Returning kicks and punts, on special teams.

Maybe just maybe, there isn't a "Coughlin code" like everyone here seems to think there is, that he's against playing rookies or letting talent sit on the bench.

Or yeah maybe people are right and every single coach on the Giants is saying "Oh Washington is our next starting WR, but we don't want him on the field for reasons"

Kinda like the talent we are wasting with Moore, oh wait.

How many undrafted players have we watched in pre-season light up a game against third string scrub to not do anything in the regular season? Cruz is the only exception I can think of.

Coughlin has been a WRs/Offensive guy his entire life, if anything I would take his opinion over some sports beat writer tying to make some story over a losing teams final two games. Do people not remember where Odell first got experience when he got back from injuries? Returning kicks and punts, on special teams.

Maybe just maybe, there isn't a "Coughlin code" like everyone here seems to think there is, that he's against playing rookies or letting talent sit on the bench.

Or yeah maybe people are right and every single coach on the Giants is saying "Oh Washington is our next starting WR, but we don't want him on the field for reasons"

Remember when Jernigan blew it up in meaningless games last year. Everybody went we have a diamond in the rough that Coughlin refused to play, then in the preseason everybody went why is Jernigan still on the roster?

Yet there is guy named Victor Cruz who went undrafted and also is on the same team. He did everything asked of him and earned playing time. Jonathan Hankins is starting because he has also done everything asked of him.

Don't blame Coughlin for the short comings of Randle, Moore and the inexperience of Washington.

Yet there is guy named Victor Cruz who went undrafted and also is on the same team. He did everything asked of him and earned playing time. Jonathan Hankins is starting because he has also done everything asked of him.

Don't blame Coughlin for the short comings of Randle, Moore and the inexperience of Washington.

The thing about Washington is he can't be good on special teams because of his height... he's freakishly tall and doubt he can be a good gunner or anything...

The thing about Washington is he can't be good on special teams because of his height... he's freakishly tall and doubt he can be a good gunner or anything...

Because some beat writer who obviously knows more about football than anyone on the Giants said so?

He's 6ft 4, not 6ft 11.

David Tyree was 6ft1, three inches shorter and had an great career on special teams as a gunner.

With all of this Washington hype, one has to question if we're falling into the "backup QB fan syndrome," but now applied to a WR. The age old meme that the backup QB is always the most popular guy for the fans... until he gets out on field and his inexperience/shittyness shows. It's the allure of the unknown.

With all of this Washington hype, one has to question if we're falling into the "backup QB fan syndrome," but now applied to a WR. The age old meme that the backup QB is always the most popular guy for the fans... until he gets out on field and his inexperience/shittyness shows. It's the allure of the unknown.

Nope.. but this IS the time to see what the young guys can do.... especially when you have Olgertree taking snaps from this 6 4" guy... let's SEE what he can do.. not what uncle Tom says he can't do.

I can see both sides of this argument that you guys have already stated. However, I liken it to the, "running back has to block" phenomena of why we rarely saw David Wilson on the field at first. And it wasn't like he got any better at picking up blitzes but he started seeing playing time. I understand the importance of blocking for a running back and that if you keep a guy only in to run the ball or to run routes in the passing game, that you show your hand to the defense. But there is no harm in getting guys in Washington or even Wilson's situation some playing time and getting them the ball 4 or 5 times a game.

This team is 5-9. Give him a fair shake. Ogletree is a career journeyman, and Parker is not a long term solution, either. I should also note that Washington was great in camp against established defensive backs on the Giants. He was great in preseason, and he HAS played in very limited duty and has, for the most part, done very well. It's not the benching by itself that is the issue, it's the justification for it that he has to be some great special teamer to see the field on offense. It's a non-sensical argument. Btw, ODell did NOT exclusively play specials before he was "promoted" to the offense.

If BiC can't see that a player can be very good in one aspect of football, but not very good in another aspect, and this fact should not determine a player's real value at what he does do well, then I don't know what to tell you.

Nope.. but this IS the time to see what the young guys can do.... especially when you have Olgertree taking snaps from this 6 4" guy... let's SEE what he can do.. not what uncle Tom says he can't do.

This. You can't teach 6'4". It's not everything, but it certainly helps.

I can see both sides of this argument that you guys have already stated. However, I liken it to the, "running back has to block" phenomena of why we rarely saw David Wilson on the field at first. And it wasn't like he got any better at picking up blitzes but he started seeing playing time. I understand the importance of blocking for a running back and that if you keep a guy only in to run the ball or to run routes in the passing game, that you show your hand to the defense. But there is no harm in getting guys in Washington or even Wilson's situation some playing time and getting them the ball 4 or 5 times a game.

And this. Except this is worse.

I remember very first goal line snap of the season he lined up and we tried a fade to him. I always wondered why we didn't see him much after that but I'm guessing he just happened to be ahead of Parker on the depth chart at that point

This team is 5-9. Give him a fair shake. Ogletree is a career journeyman, and Parker is not a long term solution, either. I should also note that Washington was great in camp against established defensive backs on the Giants. He was great in preseason, and he HAS played in very limited duty and has, for the most part, done very well. It's not the benching by itself that is the issue, it's the justification for it that he has to be some great special teamer to see the field on offense. It's a non-sensical argument. Btw, ODell did NOT exclusively play specials before he was "promoted" to the offense.

If BiC can't see that a player can be very good in one aspect of football, but not very good in another aspect, and this fact should not determine a player's real value at what he does do well, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, you know what you've got on ogletree and parker, they aren't looking term wr2 options.

it's the justification for it that he has to be some great special teamer to see the field on offense. It's a non-sensical argument.

I definitely come down in the camp that Washington should get a shot, but I think Coughlin's point isn't that a guy has to be a great special teamer to play on offense, its that the 4th string WR needs to be good enough on special teams to dress on Sundays.

Then I looked it up.... Washington has dressed 13 times this season. What the....