SportsWrath

"Kevin Gilbride still questions overhaul of Giants offense"

JMFP

During a time when every team in the NFL also had some of the highest scoring offenses in history...

Kelvin Gilbride has been offensive coordinator for over 20 years in the NFL and his time with the Giants was the high point. He bounced around a lot was even out of football. He is a decent offensive coordinator who was lucky enough to have had some talented offensive players to run his playbook.

I think its pretty damning that a first year offensive coordinator manages to do slightly better with the same problems.

With a ROY candidate though. When Cruz played like Beckham the Giants won the SB. Gilbride was top 10, top 5 a few times, when teams were setting records. I get that McAdoo gets a pass because it's first year but Gilbride gets throwen under the bus when he had to deal with the same shit. The fact of the matter is that Gilbride is a good OC but had to deal with a lack of talent, just like McAdoo. IMHO the offense would have been a lot more explosive with Gilbride this year.

With a ROY candidate though. When Cruz played like Beckham the Giants won the SB. Gilbride was top 10, top 5 a few times, when teams were setting records. I get that McAdoo gets a pass because it's first year but Gilbride gets throwen under the bus when he had to deal with the same shit. The fact of the matter is that Gilbride is a good OC but had to deal with a lack of talent, just like McAdoo. IMHO the offense would have been a lot more explosive with Gilbride this year.

5th in offense in 2010, top 10 2008, 2009, 2014. McAdoo is doing a better job with essentially the same problems, lack of a running game and an ineffective offensive line.

It really is impossible to say how much better things would be if we kept Gilbride and he had the opportunity to work with Beckham. I think if Gilbride was still running the offense, Manning would be on IR and we would still have a losing season record.

This is year one for Eli in this offense, and he is on pace to surpass or equal most of the average offensive seasons under Gilbride. One would think next year there will marked improvement as Eli and most of the other players will not only be familiar with the offense, but have all of these game reps going into the season. In light of these facts, it is premature to really judge McAdoo's offense next to Silly Gilly as this is not an apples to apples comparison, except to say that it's been a modest improvement, which is somewhat encouraging for a first year offense.

This is year one for Eli in this offense, and he is on pace to surpass or equal most of the average offensive seasons under Gilbride. One would think next year there will marked improvement as Eli and most of the other players will not only be familiar with the offense, but have all of these game reps going into the season. In light of these facts, it is premature to really judge McAdoo's offense next to Silly Gilly as this is not an apples to apples comparison, except to say that it's been a modest improvement, which is somewhat encouraging for a first year offense.

Agreed.

Also, I don't think people question Gilly's scheme as much as his complete inability to adapt his scheme in his last few years. By week 5 last year it was obvious Brandon Myers couldn't block, Will Beatty needed some help, and the offense could benefit from a quick passing game. Why we hadn't seen adjustments in those areas by week 11 was maddening.

The situational play calling is less retarded

Yeah, those 4th and 1 fullback dives and end arounds really instill confidence in situational play calling.

Or the constant fades into the end zone that never work...well, never work to anyone when thrown to anyone not named Odell Beckham.

;)

Exactly.. that's what drives me nuts about the McAdoo critics on this board... are they serious? For every INT Eli threw last year, I lost a few days of my life... I'll take this year's O with the same problems over last year's any day.

Yeah, those 4th and 1 fullback dives and end arounds really instill confidence in situational play calling.

Or the constant fades into the end zone that never work...well, never work to anyone when thrown to anyone not named Odell Beckham.

;)

We're not seeing nearly as many 3rd and long draws. I'm not saying he's perfect, he's just LESS retarded

Jim,

Lets not kid ourselves... The O-Line was a lot worse last year than this year... no question. Gilbride was a great offensive coordinator... The problem is the O-line got old on us and offense suffered because of it.

5th in offense in 2010, top 10 2008, 2009, 2014. McAdoo is doing a better job with essentially the same problems, lack of a running game and an ineffective offensive line.

It really is impossible to say how much better things would be if we kept Gilbride and he had the opportunity to work with Beckham. I think if Gilbride was still running the offense, Manning would be on IR and we would still have a losing season record.

I assume you meant to type 2011.

In the same paragraph, you say it's impossible to tell how things would be if we kept Gilbride, then go ahead and trash him anyway. Sounds reasonable.

I'm sorry, but outside of Beckham, I'm just not seeing this vast improvement. The line, while marginally improved, still is terrible in the heart of the pocket, the running game is only as good as Jenning's ankles, and we might be getting slightly better play from the TEs. To his credit, McAdoo's offense does seem to be better in the red zone--but we've lost a lot of the big play offense we used to have.

As far as interceptions are concerned, how many times were we blown out this year, where desperation passes weren't even attempted?

Agreed.

Also, I don't think people question Gilly's scheme as much as his complete inability to adapt his scheme in his last few years. By week 5 last year it was obvious Brandon Myers couldn't block, Will Beatty needed some help, and the offense could benefit from a quick passing game. Why we hadn't seen adjustments in those areas by week 11 was maddening.

This year, we've marginally improved the line. (Richberg, Walton and Jerry might not strike fear, but they're better than any of the crap we put on the field last year.) We scrapped the scheme, and put in one that's supposed to be short count/quick routes. We aren't getting significantly better results, you've said so yourself.

So similar results (and I'm assuming we get to 6-10 at least, which isn't a given) with new players and an offseason to study and prepare with a scheme specifically designed to alleviate the pressure on the oline. What do you think Gilbride could have done last year midseason that would have had any significant effect, based on the results we've gotten this year?

Again, I'm not trashing McAdoo--I hope he has a nice, long, successful stint here. I'm not even criticizing the job he's done so far. I just don't see the basis for praising him yet.

Exactly.. that's what drives me nuts about the McAdoo critics on this board... are they serious? For every INT Eli threw last year, I lost a few days of my life... I'll take this year's O with the same problems over last year's any day.

Yet when they fail to score on good defenses or fail to score for entire halves of football, or can't string together an entire 4 quarters of football, or can't score from the 5 yard line, or consistently go three and out---it's ALWAYS Fewell's fault to you, Nas, which makes significantly less sense.

And Herc, less draws on 3rd and long, but the draw is the bread and butter of McAdoo's running game---our first and second down run calls are 75% draw plays.

This year, we've marginally improved the line. (Richberg, Walton and Jerry might not strike fear, but they're better than any of the crap we put on the field last year.) We scrapped the scheme, and put in one that's supposed to be short count/quick routes. We aren't getting significantly better results, you've said so yourself.

So similar results (and I'm assuming we get to 6-10 at least, which isn't a given) with new players and an offseason to study and prepare with a scheme specifically designed to alleviate the pressure on the oline. What do you think Gilbride could have done last year midseason that would have had any significant effect, based on the results we've gotten this year?

I'm honestly not sure the scheme was scrapped. Yeah we get more quick passes but we still seem to get a lot of slow-developing plays as well. This looks like what it was billed as: a blending of the systems (in the games I've watched this year).

What could Gilly do to improve the scheme? Honestly I'm not sure. Here's what I'm sure didn't work in week 11 though:the same thing that didn't work in the first 10 weeks of the season.

Yet when they fail to score on good defenses or fail to score for entire halves of football, or can't string together an entire 4 quarters of football, or can't score from the 5 yard line, or consistently go three and out---it's ALWAYS Fewell's fault to you, Nas, which makes significantly less sense.

And Herc, less draws on 3rd and long, but the draw is the bread and butter of McAdoo's running game---our first and second down run calls are 75% draw plays.

It could just be that in able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I look at our D and see a disaster year after year after year including the last time we won the SB.... That's why I can't stand Fewel.

I look at McAdoo as a young OC in his first year and I'm asking people like you to hold their fire...

I'm honestly not sure the scheme was scrapped. Yeah we get more quick passes but we still seem to get a lot of slow-developing plays as well. This looks like what it was billed as: a blending of the systems (in the games I've watched this year).

What could Gilly do to improve the scheme? Honestly I'm not sure. Here's what I'm sure didn't work in week 11 though:the same thing that didn't work in the first 10 weeks of the season.

Yeah he wasn't sure either which is another reason why he watches football instead of coaching it.

McAdoo had a good game today--let's hope that becomes more the rule than the exception going forward.

Offense is heading in right direction and Eli is clearly very comfortable......helps having a weapon like Beckham, too.

In gilbrides defense (yes I will actually defend him)....he had garbage to work with last season....Nicks stole his salary in 2013

It could just be that in able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I look at our D and see a disaster year after year after year including the last time we won the SB.... That's why I can't stand Fewel.

I look at McAdoo as a young OC in his first year and I'm asking people like you to hold their fire...

I agree....given this roster, not sure his much more I should expect from a rookie coordinator installing a new system around a QB coming off a bad year.