SportsWrath

JPP

Sephiroth

JPP FINALLY got help when they Kiwanuka got hurt. Thats' what really happened. They also finally started moving him around. Fewell will be a HS JV team next season. His incompetence makes my blood boil.

I've been raging against him since.. well.. years now.. even the year we won the SB... was never a fan.. hated his bend over defense and lack of imagination.. while most reserved their rage for Gilbride, I reserved mine for Fewel.

Well, he's up to 9.5 sacks.

Good to see he can make impact plays when nobody is watching and it doesn't really count towards anything but a big contract. Nicely done.

Inflated from playing bad teams. The past two years, he's tended to disappear in big games, and disappear on containing the flanks.

Inflated from playing bad teams. The past two years, he's tended to disappear in big games, and disappear on containing the flanks.

Yup. And yesterday, he was playing against a back up OT after the starter went out. He's been invisible for long stretches this year. Somebody else can give him a cap busting contract.

Yup. And yesterday, he was playing against a back up OT after the starter went out. He's been invisible for long stretches this year. Somebody else can give him a cap busting contract.

My other problem with JPP and paying him with a big contract: He hasn't proven that he can be "the guy." He's always needed a very good DE on the other side of him (Osi or Tuck), and has never been able to adjust and be dominant when teams focus on him with chips and doubleteams. Guys like Strahan and Watt dominate no matter who else is on the D-Line. JPP hasn't proven he can, so in my mind, doesn't warrant a massive contract.

My other problem with JPP and paying him with a big contract: He hasn't proven that he can be "the guy." He's always needed a very good DE on the other side of him (Osi or Tuck), and has never been able to adjust and be dominant when teams focus on him with chips and doubleteams. Guys like Strahan and Watt dominate no matter who else is on the D-Line. JPP hasn't proven he can, so in my mind, doesn't warrant a massive contract.

Indeed.

I'm thinking 8-10 mil a season sounds fair. He does play the run well even if he's invisible in the big games.

If the Raiders want to pay him like he's a world beater... see ya, JPP.

It's just the way it is after a team wins a championship or two. This is why I hate seeing the big contracts, these guys are all done and NY paid too much keeping them here. It will take several years to get things on the right track again.

JPP is a flawed player, but there are aspects of the position at which he's the best in the game. We'd be damn fools to let him walk.

We'd be fools the break the bank for him too.

He's a nice player but he's no Michael Strahan, and I'd argue he's not even an Osi.

We'd be fools the break the bank for him too.

He's a nice player but he's no Michael Strahan, and I'd argue he's not even an Osi.

He's much, much closer to Strahan than he is Osi. He's not merely "nice"... he's one of the top five all-around defensive lineman in the game. And he could still improve. A lot.

Obviously there's a price at which you have to say its just too much, but its a damn high price for JPP.

"invisible in the big games".... when was the last time the Giants even played a big game?

I haven't seen him as 'invisible' all season... the sacks come in bunches, and when he wasn't getting them, he was drawing relentless double-teams. The problem is a lack of pass rush from the other side of the defensive line and a lack of linebackers who can.... well, I was going to say rush the passer, but really they can't do anything.

I read somewhere that he was the #1 DE against the run this season. Couple that with 9.5 sacks, and his contract is going to be quite large.

I agree, the sacks came against lesser competition after the season was already lost. I agree, he doesn't always beat the double team...but there's 10 other guys on the field that have to do their jobs too.

I think the Giants should keep him. I think franchise tag would be wise if a long term can't be worked out.

"invisible in the big games".... when was the last time the Giants even played a big game?

I haven't seen him as 'invisible' all season... the sacks come in bunches, and when he wasn't getting them, he was drawing relentless double-teams. The problem is a lack of pass rush from the other side of the defensive line and a lack of linebackers who can.... well, I was going to say rush the passer, but really they can't do anything.

The Eagles game? The Cowboys? Hell, the 49ers? Any game before the season was officially over? For weeks in a row JPP didn't get a sniff of a quarterback. How many weeks in a row did we look at an opposing QB drop back and say, "no... pass... rush?" Tony Romo and Andrew Luck were making sandwiches in lawn chairs back there.

And the double teams the last six weeks or so have mostly gone to Hankins... as they should; he's a monster.

You're right about the linebackers though. Those guys run directly at the blockers... can't blitz to save their lives.

But getting back to JPP, if the Giants offer him more than 10 mil per season, they're nuts. He's more Michael Bennett than Jared Allen. They're both nice players but only one of them is a real difference-maker.

I think the Giants should keep him. I think franchise tag would be wise if a long term can't be worked out.

The franchise tag will cost 15 million this season, and the Giants only have 20 mil under the cap.

If we tie up 3/4 of our money in a guy that hasn't made an impact play in a big game in three years, I'll flip my shit.

The franchise tag will cost 15 million this season, and the Giants only have 20 mil under the cap.

If we tie up 3/4 of our money in a guy that hasn't made an impact play in a big game in three years, I'll flip my shit.

Does that 20 mil figure include his current cap hit or not?

The Eagles game? The Cowboys? Hell, the 49ers? Any game before the season was officially over? For weeks in a row JPP didn't get a sniff of a quarterback. How many weeks in a row did we look at an opposing QB drop back and say, "no... pass... rush?" Tony Romo and Andrew Luck were making sandwiches in lawn chairs back there.

And the double teams the last six weeks or so have mostly gone to Hankins... as they should; he's a monster.

You're right about the linebackers though. Those guys run directly at the blockers... can't blitz to save their lives.

But getting back to JPP, if the Giants offer him more than 10 mil per season, they're nuts. He's more Michael Bennett than Jared Allen. They're both nice players but only one of them is a real difference-maker.

oh, he was close. Just because he didn't get home and get credit for a sack doesn't mean he wasn't making an impact.

And lets not completely discount that he was coming back from a very dinged up 2012 and a wasted 2013 season. As raw as he still is, all that lost time had to have an impact on the field. Is it a coincidence that he's come on later this season? I doubt it.

About Hankins... yeah, the man can play. But he generally isn't out there on passing downs.

I'll tell you what, if the Giants can get JPP back long term for anything under $10 million per, fuck yeah. I'll take it. My only concern is that perhaps he won't be a worker after the contract... at his high end, he'll be the best in the game. Absent a work ethic he'll stay raw and physically revert as he ages. So I'm all for an incentive laden contract that rewards him richly for high-end play, and provides the Giants an out if he doesn't keep developing.

oh, he was close. Just because he didn't get home and get credit for a sack doesn't mean he wasn't making an impact.

And lets not completely discount that he was coming back from a very dinged up 2012 and a wasted 2013 season. As raw as he still is, all that lost time had to have an impact on the field. Is it a coincidence that he's come on later this season? I doubt it.

About Hankins... yeah, the man can play. But he generally isn't out there on passing downs.

I'll tell you what, if the Giants can get JPP back long term for anything under $10 million per, fuck yeah. I'll take it. My only concern is that perhaps he won't be a worker after the contract... at his high end, he'll be the best in the game. Absent a work ethic he'll stay raw and physically revert as he ages. So I'm all for an incentive laden contract that rewards him richly for high-end play, and provides the Giants an out if he doesn't keep developing.

I didn't even think of incentive-laden, but that's a great idea.

Lions, Cardinals, Eagles, Cowboys, Seahawks, 49ers.

Define impact, because to me apart from beckham in the second half, who on this team actually made an impact. Eli already sucks most of the cap up. We pay rolle big money to take imaginary photos and miss tackles and cruz has been hurt.

Franchise him, cut rolle, pay prince. If jpp isnt worth it after next year,then look across theline and pay hankins, who may end being the better player