SportsWrath

"99.9% chance" coughlin returns

Herc

this same writer had his source putting it at 50/50 3 weeks ago

The odds of Tom Coughlin returning to coach the 2015 Giants have skyrocketed dramatically. So dramatically, in fact, The Post has learned the Giants are leaning strongly towards bringing him back next season for one last Super Bowl run.

How strongly?

“99.9 percent he’s back,” a source familiar with the club’s thinking told The Post Sunday night.

The Giants, as is their preferred policy, prefer to make their decisions public when the season ends.

“I have no comment,” co-owner John Mara said following Giants 24, Redskins 13.

“No comment,” co-owner Steve Tisch said.

Neither owner would divulge whether the decision on Coughlin’s future has already been made.

A source told The Post several weeks ago Coughlin’s return at that time was “50-50.”

It has since become crystal clear that the Giants are fighting to the end with Coughlin.

There are other factors that have weighed strongly on ownership’s thinking:

•  No one ever likes using injuries as an excuse, but the 2014 Giants have been decimated, with 20 players and key players such as Victor Cruz, Jon Beason, Geoff Schwartz, Walter Thurmond III, Prince Amukamara and Rashad Jennings — sidelined either for all or significant stretches of the season. The drunken-sailor free-agent binge general manager Jerry Reese went on in the offseason has hardly paid dividends.
  • Coughlin is widely, if not universally respected in the locker room and at the highest levels of the organization. He and Reese have enjoyed a healthy working relationship.

• Coughlin — and Eli Manning — were asked to preside over the changing of offensive coordinators, from Kevin Gilbride to Ben McAdoo, who is calling plays for the first time in his version of the West Coast offense. Manning is growing more comfortable, and asking him to start over again with a new offense and new coordinator next season wouldn’t make sense. If the powers-that-be view McAdoo as a possible heir apparent, another season of working under Coughlin would only help his candidacy. Give them Odell Beckham Jr. and Cruz together on the field and get them another offensive lineman or two, and let it ride.

•  Coughlin is the only head coach Manning has played for, and he has told The Post he believes Coughlin remains the right man for the job.

• Coughlin still has the fire in his belly and no one, now that 68 is the new 67, has seen a drop-off in his energy, passion or will to win.

• The Giants have long reaped the benefits of stability and continuity, and Coughlin’s values remain treasured by the organization.

TOM MUST STAY is the right call.

Yes, he has missed the playoffs three straight seasons. But his voice is still being heard. His preparation isn’t the reason the Giants are 5-9. This isn’t about sentimentality. It’s about keeping a Hall of Fame coach where he belongs. Coughlin once wrote a book entitled “A Team To Believe In.” The Giants still have A Coach They Believe In.

First-and-2015 for Tom Coughlin.

Guaranteed this is what we get:

1. Fewell is gone. Because, you know, Strength and Conditioning and Special Teams have historically been awesome under Coughlin, and that'll fix everything.

2. Reese stays. Odell Beckham totally makes up for the 2008-2011 drafts... because one great pick is the same as 28 shitty ones.

3. We go 8-8 next year. Progress!

I'm not happy with things myself, but who would really be a good coach for us right now? we can't stay healthy anyway, so a new coach would most likely have the same results.

Somebody who doesn't have to replace their personnel, offense, defense, and special teams in a 12-month period I think would do the trick.

Somebody who doesn't have to replace their personnel, offense, defense, and special teams in a 12-month period I think would do the trick.

People thought we were nuts saying these wins would result in no or very minimal change and....here it is

I understand how a few of you are disappointed by this possibility however I do not understand how anyone is surprised by this realistic outcome.

Who knows if there is going to be a staff change-up again this season, the anonymous source wouldn't even hint on that and yet it still could happen. I think it is realistic to think that this will happen because of the number of key injuries again this year. Kevin Gilbride was shown the door over a broken offense that suffered from key injured players, it is very possible that a similar fate is waiting for Perry Fewell.

People thought we were nuts saying these wins would result in no or very minimal change and....here it is

So a coach who would of probably not been fired, is probably not going to be fired.

I just don't understand people's logic over a couple wins.

Coughlin/JR are not going to be fired this offseason, heck I've been saying it the last six weeks.

Fewell is gone and I'm sure a a handful of assistant coaches and the strength and conditioning staff are sent packing.

The Giant's arnt prone to the Snyder/Davis/Matt Millen line of running teams, I honestly don't know what people excepted this offseason.

Even in 2004 the "rebuild" was gradual over a three-four season period, Mara isnt a idiot and he knows what needs to be changed.

Sports news filler that has little to no bearing on what will or will not happen a couple of months from now. Too much can happen, opinions can and do change, and TC himself might say it's time to retire. Enjoy the last 2 games and lets get ready for the draft.

Sports news filler that has little to no bearing on what will or will not happen a couple of months from now. Too much can happen, opinions can and do change, and TC himself might say it's time to retire. Enjoy the last 2 games and lets get ready for the draft.

The only way I'd possibly be cool without a total house clean would be:

1. Reese goes and takes Marc Ross with him.

2. We hire a young DC or a guy like Spags and let him fight it out with McAdoo to replace TC when he retires.

3. Fewell and the entire conditioning staff goes.

Even then, I still think its a horrible idea. Why not just clean house and start fresh?

The only way I'd possibly be cool without a total house clean would be:

1. Reese goes and takes Marc Ross with him.

2. We hire a young DC or a guy like Spags and let him fight it out with McAdoo to replace TC when he retires.

3. Fewell and the entire conditioning staff goes.

Even then, I still think its a horrible idea. Why not just clean house and start fresh?

Because with everyone healthy, we have 3/4s of a contender for the NFC East.

I seriously think it will just take a little patience. If you clean house, you're talking 5 more years of mediocrity instead of potentially one more year (and that's not guaranteed, I think we come back and play well next year, with a healthy secondary and a healthy Cruz). Mix in some young talent and a key starter on both sides of the ball...maybe a few role players (we could use an explosive 3rd down running back, for one) and we're talking about a 10 win team.

Because with everyone healthy, we have 3/4s of a contender for the NFC East.

I seriously think it will just take a little patience. If you clean house, you're talking 5 more years of mediocrity instead of potentially one more year (and that's not guaranteed, I think we come back and play well next year, with a healthy secondary and a healthy Cruz). Mix in some young talent and a key starter on both sides of the ball...maybe a few role players (we could use an explosive 3rd down running back, for one) and we're talking about a 10 win team.

5 years? Harbaugh turned a 5-11 team around in a lockout season and had them a fumble away from Super Bowl.

5 years? Harbaugh turned a 5-11 team around in a lockout season and had them a fumble away from Super Bowl.

Yeah and what about the 7 years before Harbaugh became head coach? 5 head coaches, not a winning season in 7 years. Other consideration is the division, its not as competitive as the NFC East.

Its true, with everyone healthy we'd be a contender. Unless we keep the same trainers that see 25% of the team on injured reserve every year, because Coughlin isn't especially proactive when it comes to hiring coaches and is overall too loyal.

So why NOT keep a guy like Palmieri who we KNOW sucks! He's sucked for 20 years... that's 20 years of suckage. That's loyalty right there. 20 years of sucking. While we're at it, I think we should sign Kiwi to an extension... he sucks too, but he's been a good soldier.

Or Coughlin might hire a guy like Tim Lewis. Or Bill Sheridan. Or John Huffnagel. Or Perry Fewell. Or anyone who's ever been our special teams coach since he's been here.

No thanks. I'd rather take my chances with a new guy who's proven... but I'm pretty sure we'll have more mediocre football next year with Reese and TC both likely staying. Get ready for more injured reserve and 8-8 seasons, baby!

Yeah and what about the 7 years before Harbaugh became head coach? 5 head coaches, not a winning season in 7 years. Other consideration is the division, its not as competitive as the NFC East.

yup, a good hire is important. That's why if harbaugh is available, you got to go after him. You hire opportunistically,not desperately. That's when you get 7 years of crap. And I think you're mistaken about divisions. NFC west is tougher than east at this point.

So a coach who would of probably not been fired, is probably not going to be fired.

I just don't understand people's logic over a couple wins.

Coughlin/JR are not going to be fired this offseason, heck I've been saying it the last six weeks.

Fewell is gone and I'm sure a a handful of assistant coaches and the strength and conditioning staff are sent packing.

The Giant's arnt prone to the Snyder/Davis/Matt Millen line of running teams, I honestly don't know what people excepted this offseason.

Even in 2004 the "rebuild" was gradual over a three-four season period, Mara isnt a idiot and he knows what needs to be changed.

Well like Herc said Coughlin's chances went up 49.9% since losing to Jacksonville and beating the Redskins and Titans. I am not saying they should go full on dumpster fire, but at the same time you can't just keep blaming one guy for the mediocrity each season