SportsWrath

Here's a team up I'd like to see more of in the future.

Sephiroth

I find these calls for Cohwer hilarious. He was a classic pound the pigskin, play D kind of guy, as vanilla as it gets. Yes, he almost always got to the playoffs on the strength of those great Defenses but he was 8-9 in the playoffs, including losing four AFC Championship Games at home. Many Steeler fans I know - and I married a Pittsburgh girl, been going out there for 30 years now - blame Cowher for being too conservative in those games. They say he wouldn't budge from his philosophy. And now he's been out of the league for 8 years. This Board would be on fire after half a season of Cowher.

As much as I joked about Cowher making Eli cry, I do agree that the game has changed so drastically, even in the past 5 -10 years, that his run the ball/play defense style is almost a thing of the past.

That said, I think we need a hard-nosed coach whose philosophy works in today's league.

I think Seattle proved that running and a good defense does win championships still.

Yeah, it will always work too. Eat up the clock by keeping their offense off the field and the defense stays rested. We don't do that anymore, it's 3 and out and the defense on the field all day.

Here's my case for Cowher:

1. He'll provide a stable element to the team. Lets be honest... we need a new GM, a new head coach, and probably about 50% of the starters need to be replaced. Cowher is a guy that can come in and build a program. That ring on his finger gives him instant credibility, and we're going to need , someone who's "been there, done that," so that the new GM (I hope at least) can get his feet under him. Cowher's the man for the job.

2. He knows the Maras. Its no secret he's wanted this job for a long time. Cowher knows the Maras personally and in the past has expressed his desire to be in blue. It won't simply be a matter of a pay raise; he wants to be here. There also won't be any question as to how things are done in the Meadowlands... he knows the drill.

3. He can win with shitty rosters. Tell me what these players have in common: Mike Tomczak, Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox. Well, those were the QBs that Cowher all took into the playoffs. Yeah, I know he "never won the big one" for 13 years, but when that's who your GM is trotting out to play the most important position on the field, what do you expect? The fact he had winning records alone is a miracle, and he was three Neil O'Donnell picks away from beating the Aikman, Smith, and Irvin holy trinity in the Super Bowl. The first year he got a decent QB on the team? Well, he won the Super Bowl with a rookie Ben Roethlisberger. Not just that, but the Pittsburgh roster was raided literally EVERY year... and every year he'd develop new talent and put a competitive team out on the field.

4. His brand of football is Giants football. Like power running? How about Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Chris Fuatu-Ma'afala, or some guy named Jerome Bettis? Wish you could trade Larry Donnell for a Heath Miller or Eric Greene-type guy? This is the man for the job. You want linebackers? How about Levon Kirkland, Chad Brown, Kevin Greene, James Farrior, Greg Lloyd, or James Harrison? Fucking shit, when was the last time we had a Larry Foote-caliber linebacker on the team? Cowher's teams are built on the interior line, with linebackers, running backs, and TEs... Giants football.

5. He won't hold on to coaches that suck because they're "his guys" or whatever. He fired Tim Lewis when he posted the 1st, 7th, 7th, and 9th ranked defenses in Pittsburgh. Enough said.

TO WHATEVER IMGRATE REPLACES JR... SIGN COWHER NOW!!!!

TC and JR arnt going anywhere this off season, or they are atleast not going to get fired.

TC may retire if he figures he doesnt want to go through another rebuilding process.

Mara/Tisch are going to give JR a chance to bring in his own HC (if Coughlin retires) as well as a chance to shake up the roster/coaches/whatever to try and rebuild the team.

Fewell is the only guy I can actually see being "fired" at the end of the season.

And no, The Chin isnt the answer, much like Gruden he's enjoying his time in the broadcast both making millions spouting football knowledge, and I've never thought his teams were anything special and could never finish in the playoffs, outside of paying refs to beat the Seahawks.

He was carried by Dick Lebaus defense during that SB win and outside of that his defenses were nothing special.

TC and JR arnt going anywhere this off season, or they are atleast not going to get fired.

TC may retire if he figures he doesnt want to go through another rebuilding process.

Mara/Tisch are going to give JR a chance to bring in his own HC (if Coughlin retires) as well as a chance to shake up the roster/coaches/whatever to try and rebuild the team.

Fewell is the only guy I can actually see being "fired" at the end of the season.

And no, The Chin isnt the answer, much like Gruden he's enjoying his time in the broadcast both making millions spouting football knowledge, and I've never thought his teams were anything special and could never finish in the playoffs, outside of paying refs to beat the Seahawks.

He was carried by Dick Lebaus defense during that SB win and outside of that his defenses were nothing special.

If Reese and Coughlin are both here next year, I won't be watching football.

I live in New Hampshire. To watch Giants games, its cost me 400 bucks these past two seasons... 400 bucks to watch this total, embarrassing shit show week after week. No fucking way I'm doing that again.

If Reese and Coughlin are both here next year, I won't be watching football.

I live in New Hampshire. To watch Giants games, its cost me 400 bucks these past two seasons... 400 bucks to watch this total, embarrassing shit show week after week. No fucking way I'm doing that again.

Well considering all of your "I hate football now a days" post I'm just surprised you're even watching this season at all.

Plus.

http://firstrowca.eu/

http://cricfree.sx/sky-sports-1-live-stream-01.php

Free streaming, no need to pay.

I don't want Cowher... I have no idea what some see in him.. I don't. The game has evolved and we need someone with fresh ideas and a roster built on character... Just think how this team went downhill when leaders like Strahan and Peirce were no longer on the roster...

Well considering all of your "I hate football now a days" post I'm just surprised you're even watching this season at all.

Plus.

http://firstrowca.eu/

http://cricfree.sx/sky-sports-1-live-stream-01.php

Free streaming, no need to pay.

Not for nothing, but those sites don't seem worth the hassle. I tried doing the online free stuff and you spend as much time getting rid of pop-ups and uninstalling toolbars as you do watching the game (which get taken down every 20 minutes or so).

No to Cowher.

Agreed, Coughlin and JR will be back for one more go of it.

Agreed, Fewell will be thrown on this year's grenade.

Another year like this - it's Coughlin/JR's turn to go so that new coach/new GM can start with a high draft pick (again, assuming another year like the current one).

No to Cowher.

Agreed, Coughlin and JR will be back for one more go of it.

Agreed, Fewell will be thrown on this year's grenade.

Another year like this - it's Coughlin/JR's turn to go so that new coach/new GM can start with a high draft pick (again, assuming another year like the current one).

Once more onto the breach dear friends... :D