SportsWrath

Welcome to the #7 overall draft pick 2015

gmenroc

I get that, but at some point, if you have WRs who can play, maybe not dominant, but can play....and you have no linebackers worth a damn...you have to make the call to go linebacker despite that flashy new toy for the offense. If that involves trading down to get value out of the picks, so be it...but my point is that you can't ignore glaring holes on draft day.

during a typical bad giants season like 7-9 or 8-8 and a pick towards the middle of the first round i agree with this mindset. but if we're bottoming out and have holes everywhere with a top 10 pick then i want to take advantage of the increased superstar odds that come with it and just take the best possible player. it's not often that we get such opportunities

Yep WR is my 1st round pick and since the Dallas game I think the most evident thing is lack of playmaker other than Beckham. I want Cooper, White or Strong. Leaning towards Kevin White

i've only watched a little college this year but from what i've seen all 3 of these guys look like studs--all over 6 feet too. i'm a little partial to strong but i don't think we can go wrong with any of them. i was at a bar saturday and looked up at the tv once which was all i needed to see cooper's long catch at the 1. guy has some serious skills

Agreed, though I'm always wanting more defensive talent. A 'franchise' LB, S or CB would be great too.

yeah doesn't matter what position either. we went heavy at cb this past offseason but you can never have too many of those

during a typical bad giants season like 7-9 or 8-8 and a pick towards the middle of the first round i agree with this mindset. but if we're bottoming out and have holes everywhere with a top 10 pick then i want to take advantage of the increased superstar odds that come with it and just take the best possible player. it's not often that we get such opportunities

Yeah I kind of think there's only a few positions you take with a top-10 pick.

QB

LT

WR

CB

DE

LB (if he's a Lawrence Taylor/Ray Lewis type)

Call me crazy but I'm willing to bet the Giants target a defensive lineman, likely a defensive end.

Not crazy at all, especially if they're negotiating with JPP, Kiwi's gone and they still clearly don't trust Moore to be an every-down DE.

I agree with this philosophy... when we picked LT... a once in a generation guy we had a huge need at RB... everyone wanted George Rogers... Thank GOD we chose LT as opposed to positional need.

I agree with this philosophy... when we picked LT... a once in a generation guy we had a huge need at RB... everyone wanted George Rogers... Thank GOD we chose LT as opposed to positional need.

Actually, thank god we didn't have a choice - the Saints took Rogers with the first pick of the draft and we got LT next! I was always thankful to the Saints for that!

Actually, thank god we didn't have a choice - the Saints took Rogers with the first pick of the draft and we got LT next! I was always thankful to the Saints for that!

You're right bro... I think I remember people saying stupid shit like lets set up a trade to get the number one or hoping the Saints wouldn't pick Rodgers... :P

Fish, I don't see us going WR again especially with the state of both lines... BPA yes but a fatass indeed. Regardless if who the coach is we're getting killed in the trenches... Dallas went back to what got them championships in the 90s and now have a dominant OL that was atrocious not too long ago.

If we wind up drafting as high as we think we are, it will be too high to draft the olineman we desperately need--a guard. Beatty has been OK this year, and looks to be back to where he was before 2013. Pugh is having a serious sophomore slump, but is that solely on him, or being next to Jerry?

I suppose you could draft another tackle and try to shoehorn Pugh as a guard, but why not draft a guy that has proven in college he is a guard early in the 2nd round?

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a tackle at all--our best backup is Jack Schitt-- but I don't know if we need a starter. A top-flight LT would be great, but you draft one, you have to get rid of Beatty because of the cap, and you're stuck in the same spot as this year--except now you're either starting a rookie or Pugh at LT.

Right now, we don't really have much in the way of guys capable of moving the ball. Jennings and Williams are ok, if they stay healthy and if the line can generate something resembling a hole, which they haven't. A tight end would be good, but that early?

But at WR, we have Beckham, maybe Cruz, maybe not; and a bunch of other guys who aren't really doing much with their chances. And at the rate we seem to go through them, it wouldn't hurt to have another WR.

On defense, I have no idea what the next coordinator would want--the only semblance of strength (on IR, at least) on our current roster is the backfield and at DT. JPP's contract is up, so if we're blowing up the defense, now is the time to go from base 4-3 to 3-4, if the DC wants to. But if we go 3-4, how important is a DE, in relation to the pick? Do you trade down a couple spots, and then trade back up into the tail end of the first to get a couple of LBs?

Like I said, it's too unsettled to really hazard a guess which way to go.

What we do with Beatty will be the key. He's got 3 years/$26M left on his contract. We can void and walk away clean by making him a June 1 cut. Going into this season, it would have been a no brainer to walk away but last I saw, he's grading out as the 7th ranked OT in the league this year. I think we keep him, even with the almost $9M cap hit. Otherwise, we have two positions on the OL to fill. Keep Beatty and we can concentrate on finding a starting caliber Guard and yes, some better quality backup OTs.

Has anyone looked at the free agency pool for OL? I heard Mike Iupati is a UFA but besides him being a 1st rounder a few years ago idk much about him.

I don't recall the last time we signed an OL during FA that worked out great dating back to McKenzie (how did we get O'Hara?)... we need to build thru the draft.

I don't recall the last time we signed an OL during FA that worked out great dating back to McKenzie (how did we get O'Hara?)... we need to build thru the draft.

I believe O'Hara was a FA from Cleveland or some obscure place. I agree on building through the draft but if we end up at 7 or higher is there an OL worth taking at that point? I'm all for trading down as well if there's no once in a lifetime guy available but I want to keep all the options open.

I believe O'Hara was a FA from Cleveland or some obscure place. I agree on building through the draft but if we end up at 7 or higher is there an OL worth taking at that point? I'm all for trading down as well if there's no once in a lifetime guy available but I want to keep all the options open.

No disagreement there... Trading down to land two first round caliber OLs sounds good to me... (Our 2nd rounder is close enough to be considered a first)...and I'm rooting for top 3 pick.

2015 NFL Draft: UCLA's Owamagbe Odighizuwa a name to know now

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

November 22, 2014 11:27 pm ET

img24834365.jpg

Owamagbe Odighizuwa (94) is having a breakout season after missing all of last year. (USATSI)

With more star power than a Hollywood blockbuster, the USC-UCLA matchup Saturday night was essentially must-see TV for NFL scouts.

There were storylines everywhere as the Bruins took another step towards the Pac-12 South title with a surprisingly dominant 38-20 win over their cross-town rivals.

Southern Cal defensive lineman Leonard Williams - the player Dane Brugler and I each project as the No. 1 overall pick - was every bit as dominant as expected. His embattled (but talented) teammate Josh Shaw made his return to the field. Quarterbacks Brett Hundley and Cody Kessler each flashed the skill-set that puts them in the mix to follow Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston as the No. 3 quarterback on NFLDraftScout.com's board.

Given the recognizable names, you can be excused for not focusing on UCLA's left defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa. Scouts certainly will be, however, after the 6-foot-3, 270 pound redshirt senior helped UCLA win the line of scrimmage, recording two sacks and disrupting several other plays.

His name may be hard to say (pronounced Oh-wah-MAH-bay Oh-DIGGY-zoo-wah) but for Southern Cal right tackle Zach Banner, Odighizuwa was even harder to block.
Banner, the 6-foot-8, 350 pound son of former Los Angeles Raider Lincoln Kennedy, signed with USC amid much fanfare. Banner is so gifted he's already generating buzz as a potential early entry into the NFL, perhaps as soon as 2015.

Despite the fact that Odighizuwa was giving up 80 pounds to his opponent, the UCLA defender frequently stood up Banner at the line of scrimmage, including on a failed 4th and two early in the second quarter.

Rather than take an easy field goal to narrow UCLA's lead to 14-10, USC head coach Steve Sarkisian opted to challenge the Bruins' talented but inconsistent defensive line. Sarkisian called for Buck Allen run behind Banner. While certainly imposing, it takes Banner an extra half-second to get all that mass moving. Odighizuwa used his advantage in quickness and leverage to stand Banner up at the line of scrimmage and UCLA's fast-flowing linebackers stopped Allen for no gain.

On their next trip to the red zone - early in the second quarter - they tried running behind Banner again. Odighizua once again set the edge, creating the pile that stopped Allen for no-gain.

Given his advantage in quickness, perhaps it wasn't surprising to see Odighizuwa also beat Banner as a pass rusher. He didn't rely on speed to the outside, however, instead beating Banner inside with good initial quickness and a powerful bull rush.

It wasn't just Banner that struggled with Odighizuwa. When the muscle-packed defensive lineman moved inside, he quickly slipped past USC's guards, registering one sack in the third quarter and nearly recording another a series later. When he flipped sides, his quickness and a powerful slap challenged USC's left tackle Toa Lobendahn.

Odighizuwa, who started six games for the Bruins back in 2010 (but only two the past three years), is enjoying a breakout campaign that could have the No. 21 defensive end on NFLDraftScout.com's board moving up quickly. He missed all of last season after undergoing surgery on his hip and entered Saturday night's game with 45 tackles, including 7.5 tackles for loss and three sacks.

He doesn't possess the explosive burst off the edge or nifty change of direction expected of a first round pick. He does, however, possess the stout frame, quickness and power valued by clubs operating out of each alignment.

That position and scheme versatility could land Odighizuwa a spot within the first 100 picks of the 2015 draft and certainly qualifies him as one of the feel-good stories of the year.

I am with Fish. Why move Pugh when we can just a draft a guard. Like he said probably no OT worth a top ten pick. Even if we did it would just be opening a hole that doesn't need filled. Plus I don't like Pugh at guard. Schwartz will be back and will stick him at RG, move Richburg to C and draft a OG. I am still 100% on drafting a WR to pair with Beckham

I am with Fish. Why move Pugh when we can just a draft a guard. Like he said probably no OT worth a top ten pick. Even if we did it would just be opening a hole that doesn't need filled. Plus I don't like Pugh at guard. Schwartz will be back and will stick him at RG, move Richburg to C and draft a OG. I am still 100% on drafting a WR to pair with Beckham

Why don't you like him at guard? He really looks more like a guard to me, and lord knows he's been terrible at tackle this season, Schwartz was an immediate upgrade on Sunday.

I wonder what free agent receivers will be available next off season. The offense could really use an effective, tall receiver to compliment Beckham.

Has anyone looked at the free agency pool for OL? I heard Mike Iupati is a UFA but besides him being a 1st rounder a few years ago idk much about him.

He was injured in NFCC. Still very good guard. James Carpenter is from Seattle a really good OG and is free agent. Only 25 and I liked him at Bama

We can draft pretty much any position, and it will fill a need. I'd prefer to see OL. We'll likely net out with the 8-10 spot.

Looks like there are a fair amount of 1st round talent Tackles in this draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT

Guys I do NOT want us to draft. Jamis Winston (can you imagine him with the NY media circus?), Landon Collins (will be a decent safety in the league, but not worth a top 10 pick). I'm also not big on drafting RBs high, as I believe the OL is more critical to a successful running game, and RBs can be found mid-late rounds (e.g. Jacobs, Bradshaw, Jennings).

Agreed. OL all the way! With a LB close behind!

Agree.