SportsWrath

The elephant in the room

Nas

Eli's contract....

Is Eli worth $21M per year? Looking at it from a pure performance, the answer is currently no... Would Eli entertain taking a paycut if it means landing a stud left tackle? That's the question....

It would be nice to restructure him, but the only way to do that really, is to extend his contract...so I think the real question is, was his off year last season a sign of things to come, or will he rebound in 2017? If you think he can and will rebound, then yes, by all means, restructure his deal. If you think last year was the first step on the steep downward slope of ineffectiveness that all players go down eventually, then you suck up the cap hit this year.

That's the going rate for a QB these days, even if they don't have two Super Bowl rings and MVPs!. Check out what Cousins will get from Washington.

I'd pose a different question: would you give our #1 for Joe Thomas? I realize it's strictly hypothetical, since the Browns say he's not available.....but then again, that could be smokescreen, too. Would you?

I would give THIS year's 1st, THIS year's 2nd in exchange for Joe Thomas and their 2nd THIS year.

Essentially, our first for Thomas and swap 2nds. I'm really hoping for one of the TEs from the draft, be it Njoku or Howard and with the early 2nd rounder, I think we could still get one of the top 3 TEs or at the very least, one of the top G prospects.

That's the going rate for a QB these days, even if they don't have two Super Bowl rings and MVPs!. Check out what Cousins will get from Washington.

I'd pose a different question: would you give our #1 for Joe Thomas? I realize it's strictly hypothetical, since the Browns say he's not available.....but then again, that could be smokescreen, too. Would you?

Yes. We have a sick defense and a franchise qb with a couple of years left. We have to go for it

I'm not discounting what Eli has done... but at this point in time, I don't see him as a $20M+ player and his contract is hamstringing the team from signing guys who would bring us more wins and hopefully championships... Not all QBs are created equal and nor should they get paid that much... the flipside of the market argument is how many teams would pay Eli $20M at this point in time?

Btw, I have no idea who Joe Thomas is... any explanation is appreciated.

Joe Thomas - best LT of this decade. Guy is solid and one of the best pick the browns ever made.

As for Eli. Ask the Texans, Browns or bears if they are willing to pay $20 mil for his service?

Yea.. The Texans, Browns, and Bears will say no at this time.

I would give THIS year's 1st, THIS year's 2nd in exchange for Joe Thomas and their 2nd THIS year.

Essentially, our first for Thomas and swap 2nds. I'm really hoping for one of the TEs from the draft, be it Njoku or Howard and with the early 2nd rounder, I think we could still get one of the top 3 TEs or at the very least, one of the top G prospects.

Rather just draft Ramcyzk

I think (not positive) the difference with Brady is he never took the big $20M contract to begin with. He took less when he signed his last contract and also structured it in a team friendly way (hell, his wife makes so much more than him, if they ever split, she'd owe him alimony!). I'm not even sure (again, not positive), under the current CBA, teams are allowed to cut a player's salary if he's under contract. You can restructure but you can't just tear up a contract and give a guy less.

I think (not positive) the difference with Brady is he never took the big $20M contract to begin with. He took less when he signed his last contract and also structured it in a team friendly way (hell, his wife makes so much more than him, if they ever split, she'd owe him alimony!). I'm not even sure (again, not positive), under the current CBA, teams are allowed to cut a player's salary if he's under contract. You can restructure but you can't just tear up a contract and give a guy less.

That was what I was driving at. I don't think it's actually possible.

Who do you have in mind to replace Eli?

I don't... but if one player is hamstringing the team from making headway, then what's the point? We're stuck in the middle where we don't suck enough to get good draft picks and aren't good enough to win the big one... At some point, Eli can look at his bank account and say to himself "Hmmmm, I got a few million dollars there... roughly 48% of what I'm making goes by way of Taxes (Federal is 39% alone)... taking a cut to get a few more trophies may very well be the right thing to do... and before anyone of you says "It's easy for you to say that.. I bet you wouldn't do it if that was you", I'll say this... I actually I would...

I don't... but if one player is hamstringing the team from making headway, then what's the point? We're stuck in the middle where we don't suck enough to get good draft picks and aren't good enough to win the big one... At some point, Eli can look at his bank account and say to himself "Hmmmm, I got a few million dollars there... roughly 48% of what I'm making goes by way of Taxes (Federal is 39% alone)... taking a cut to get a few more trophies may very well be the right thing to do... and before anyone of you says "It's easy for you to say that.. I bet you wouldn't do it if that was you", I'll say this... I actually I would...

If there is one player hamstringing the Giants, Eli Manning still isn't that player. Need to take a real look at the QB market.

If there is one player hamstringing the Giants, Eli Manning still isn't that player. Need to take a real look at the QB market.

He's in range with Ben, Rodgers, and Russel Wilson... You can make what you want out of it... But at some point, you just can't have gaping holes year after year and not address the glaring issue that's your QB's contract... It's like the US gov't running deficits yet always increase "defense" spending...