SportsWrath

Florida at Mets

mws44

Lima takes on rejuvenated Marlins

Florida (36-46) at New York Mets (51-34), 7:10 p.m. ET

By Marty Noble / MLB.com

No matter who starts for them this weekend, the Mets must beware the upstart Marlins. After their most recent game against the Fish, on May 28, the Mets had a 14 1/2-game lead on them. The Marlins were the last-place team in the National League East, with a 15-33 record. Now they're 10 games under .500 and fighting for second place.

Since the Mets won, 7-3, in Miami on May 28, they have a 21-15 record. The Marlins' record in the same period, the best record in the division over that time, is 21-13.

The Mets see Dontrelle Willis on Friday night. And Willis again is pitching as he did last season when he finished second to Chris Carpenter in the balloting for the National League Cy Young Award. He has won four of his last five decisions and has a 2.45 ERA in his nine most recent starts.

Each of the remaining starting pitchers the Mets will see in this four-game series -- Ricky Nolasco, Josh Johnson and Scott Olsen -- has a winning record. With Jose Lima, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey starting for New York on Friday and Saturday, the Mets can't say that.

Pitching matchup

FLA: LHP Dontrelle Willis (5-7, 3.96 ERA)

In six career starts at Shea Stadium, Willis is 3-0 with a 2.44 ERA. The Mets did not record their first victory against him in any ballpark until May 27 this year.

NYM: RHP Jose Lima (0-3, 8.79 ERA)

Left-handed hitters are batting .346 in 26 at-bats against Lima this season; right-handed hitters have a .273 average in 33 at-bats.

Player to watch

Julio Franco has nine hits, a .360 batting average and three walks in 28 career plate appearances against Willis.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• SNY

On radio

• WFAN 660 AM, WADO 1280 AM (Español)

Up next

• Saturday: Marlins (RHP Ricky Nolasco, 6-5, 3.97) at Mets (RHP Mike Pelfrey, Major League debut), 1:20 p.m. ET, Game 1

• Saturday: Marlins (RHP Josh Johnson, 7-4, 2.34) at Mets (RHP John Maine, 0-2, 5.40), Game 2

• Sunday: Marlins (LHP Scott Olsen, 6-4, 4.17 ERA) at Mets (LHP Tom Glavine, 11-2, 3.43) 1:10 p.m. ET

Ron Darling was saying yesterday that Lima has worked hard on his pitches in the minors and has a 4-2 record since he was sent down. We'll see if he has improved any.

We are screwed this weekend, Lima, Maine, Pelfrey then who? Glavine?

1-3 This weekend I see!

Yeah thats the right order, But I definately want your job if your weekend is 4 days long!! :TU:

Not the most proven of rotations we are runnin out these days.

Dontrelle Willis is showing the Mets why they need to do whatever it takes to get him. How about that Grand Slam???!!! :worshippy:

Yep. Exactly why any team should sell the farm, cuz a pitcher hits one grand slam in his carrer. :rolleyes:

Ron Darling was saying yesterday that Lima has worked hard on his pitches in the minors and has a 4-2 record since he was sent down. We'll see if he has improved any.

Guess not. :TD::TD::TD:

Yep. Exactly why any team should sell the farm, cuz a pitcher hits one grand slam in his carrer. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about the way he's owning the Mets on the mound. A pitcher that can hit is a bonus. 4th career homer in what, his 4th year? If the Mets had Willis, Glavine and a healthy Pedro in a playoff series, you wouldn't be excited about that?

I'm talking about the way he's owning the Mets on the mound. A pitcher that can hit is a bonus. 4th career homer in what, his 4th year? If the Mets had Willis, Glavine and a healthy Pedro in a playoff series, you wouldn't be excited about that?

:)

Welcome dude!

No I agree that would be sweet. I am just not excited at the thought of what we would give up for him. I know Milledge has a bit of an attitude, but I just look at what we nurtured in Wright and Reyes and don't want to lose another guy like that. I agree that a solid starter is definately needed.

No I agree that would be sweet. I am just not excited at the thought of what we would give up for him. I know Milledge has a bit of an attitude, but I just look at what we nurtured in Wright and Reyes and don't want to lose another guy like that. I agree that a solid starter is definately needed.

I wouldn't mind losing Milledge for Willis. Willis is 24 years old and is very good, sometimes dominant.

Pitching wins championships, and this guy is one of the best young pitchers in the game. I've wanted him in a Met uniform since I first saw him pitch.

Besides, when the Marlins have their next fire sale, we can steal Milledge back. :TU:

I wouldn't mind losing Milledge for Willis. Willis is 24 years old and is very good, sometimes dominant.

Pitching wins championships, and this guy is one of the best young pitchers in the game. I've wanted him in a Met uniform since I first saw him pitch.

Besides, when the Marlins have their next fire sale, we can steal Milledge back. :TU:

Tough logic to argue. Definately wouldn't look forward to facing Milledge 19 times a year though. It's tough to give up an everyday player for a pitcher, but you're right, pitching does win championships. We might not get another lead like this for another 10 years.

Tough logic to argue. Definately wouldn't look forward to facing Milledge 19 times a year though. It's tough to give up an everyday player for a pitcher, but you're right, pitching does win championships. We might not get another lead like this for another 10 years.

Are you kidding me, if they were to take Millege for Willis straight up, I would throw in my nut sack to seal the deal. We have plenty of outfielders- how many 24 year old cy young canidate 20 game winners does our staff have?

I would not trade Wright or Reyes for him, but anyone else on the team i would ship down.. I might have a slight hesitation about trading LoDuca.... but he is far from untouchable

He certainly has hit his stride. On a somewhat happy note, Owens looked pretty good. If he starts gettin that slider over he could be nasty.

Yeah he was throwing some heat. How old is this guy? How did he do in the minors? I know nothing about him.