SportsWrath

Mets sign Jason Bay

RandolphScott

WFAN’s Mike Francesa says the Mets will announce the signing of free-agent OF Jason Bay early next week, assuming all goes well with his physical.

…like i said earlier, from what i can gather, the deal will likely be for four years, and around $16.5 million…

…so, i guess that’s the news the team is hoping to break soon after the New Year, like i alluded to in the previous post…

He says free-agent C Bengie Molina is still holding out for a guaranteed, three-year deal, but the Mets have so far only offered a one-year contract with a vesting option.

Updated at 2:26 pm:

…like i said before, word from people around bay has been that he is close to agreeing to a four-year deal… i’m glad to see the Mets did not give in to the fifth year… instead, it seems they goosed up the amount of money per season, from, say, $16 million, to, say, $16.5 million… i also believe the deal will be backloaded, with bay getting around $10 million in the first year, and close to $19 million per season in the final years of the contract…

…i still believe Matt Holliday will prove to be the better player, long-term… but, bay for four years is not bad… especially if it is actually backloaded and still allows the team to fill in with some role players, like i had been suggesting towards the end of last week…

…also, for what it’s worth, in talking with people close to bay, i never got the impression he was uninterested in signing with the Mets… i think that was just a logical conclusion for fans and reporters… in reality, he was simply trying to milk as much money as he could, with so little leverage… i mean, with the Cardinals the only other team looking to pay big bucks for an outfielder, bay’s only leverage was time, and hoping the Mets got antsy, or might cave in to public pressure… that was his only card, and so he used it… i don’t think it was personal, or for fear of playing in Queens… he was just trying to get paid as much as he could, using the only tool available to him: time…

Jon Heyman of SI.com confirms the Mets and Bay have an agreement.

Mets Blog

I dont love Bay, but the Mets had to sign him...as far as Bengie Molina, why do they want him? Im going to go right ahead and say it..Bengie Molina is the worst player (who starts) in baseball.

Ollie, Maine, and Pelfrey. If Molina can help just two of them to turn it around, he'd be the best catcher for the Mets since Gary Carter.

I dont love Bay, but the Mets had to sign him...as far as Bengie Molina, why do they want him? Im going to go right ahead and say it..Bengie Molina is the worst player (who starts) in baseball.

I'm not rooting for them anymore until all these players are gone, Bay, Molina included

I'm not rooting for them anymore until all these players are gone, Bay, Molina included

LOL. As far as Molina goes, there are not too many catchers in baseball better than him. It should be noted that there are not very many good starting catchers in baseball to begin with, but he is better than most.

I'm glad they got Bay. Man if we could just get these guys to do what we know they are capable of doing during a whole season, without the long stays on the DL:

Beltran

Wright

Reyes

Bay

I should add Francouer to that mix. The Mets know have some pretty good pop from the right side. If Delgado is healthy, I would still want him back to play 110 games or so for us.

I do agree with signing Delgado for a year. I still like Murphy though. I like this signing but I would have liked to see the Mets sign Holliday instead. If the Mets stay injury free, they can have a pretty successful year but they are still not as good as the Phillies. I do not trust this pitching staff besides Santana. Can Pelfry turn the corner, Perez has been working his ass this off season but how inconstant is he going to be? How about Maine? I am not confident at all in these guys.

Im pretty sure you guys still think Bengie Molina is the same catcher he was with the Angels...Blunatic..care to tell them how awful that guy is behind the plate?.

Like I said, Bengie Molina is amongst the worst players in baseball..., its not an argument, its a fact.. He is awful. He cant throw, He can barely block a pitch in the dirt becuase he can barely move, you can run on him all day, shit, you could steal second on Bengie Molina running backwards. And he is a terrible hitter. he has no patience whatsoever, he swings at everything, but he does make contact...which wold be good if he wasnt the slowest man on the planet, he can get thrown out from right feild on ground balls through the right side. he has 180 walks in 12 years, thats beyond terrible. There should be a new word invented for how bad Bengie Molina sucks, thats how bad he is. I know he is a catcher and most catchers arent good offensive players, but Bengie is a horrible defensive player as well. He is one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball. I dont understand why any Met fan would want him. The Mets become worse with him as their starting catcher. Fact.

Im pretty sure you guys still think Bengie Molina is the same catcher he was with the Angels...Blunatic..care to tell them how awful that guy is behind the plate?.

Like I said, Bengie Molina is amongst the worst players in baseball..., its not an argument, its a fact.. He is awful. He cant throw, He can barely block a pitch in the dirt becuase he can barely move, you can run on him all day, shit, you could steal second on Bengie Molina running backwards. And he is a terrible hitter. he has no patience whatsoever, he swings at everything, but he does make contact...which wold be good if he wasnt the slowest man on the planet, he can get thrown out from right feild on ground balls through the right side. he has 180 walks in 12 years, thats beyond terrible. There should be a new word invented for how bad Bengie Molina sucks, thats how bad he is. I know he is a catcher and most catchers arent good offensive players, but Bengie is a horrible defensive player as well. He is one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball. I dont understand why any Met fan would want him. The Mets become worse with him as their starting catcher. Fact.

none of that is true except he's slow as shit. and he's a bit sensitive to the media which might not play well in NY. Other than that, he's clutch. I don't know where you get the defensive stuff. he's definitely above average and he has quick feet behind the plate. lincecum is one of the toughest pitchers to catch and he had no problem.

none of that is true except he's slow as shit. and he's a bit sensitive to the media which might not play well in NY. Other than that, he's clutch. I don't know where you get the defensive stuff. he's definitely above average and he has quick feet behind the plate. lincecum is one of the toughest pitchers to catch and he had no problem.

He's not a Yankme.

He's not a Yankme.

thank god he isnt the yankees starting catcher(and Im fully aware of Jorge Posada's defensive struggles)

I dont know what Blu is talking about. He is a below league average player in every aspect of his game...his BA is pretty much his OBP, which is awful. As I said before, I know there arent many good offesive catchers, but he is not a good hitter and belive it or not, he is worse defensively than he is offensively. He does put the ball in play and has some power, but his base running is so bad that it negates anything he does offensively.

Having Bengie Molina as your starting catcher makes your team worse, not better.

thank god he isnt the yankees starting catcher(and Im fully aware of Jorge Posada's defensive struggles)

I dont know what Blu is talking about. He is a below league average player in every aspect of his game...his BA is pretty much his OBP, which is awful. As I said before, I know there arent many good offesive catchers, but he is not a good hitter and belive it or not, he is worse defensively than he is offensively. He does put the ball in play and has some power, but his base running is so bad that it negates anything he does offensively.

Having Bengie Molina as your starting catcher makes your team worse, not better.

Can't get much worse than Brian Scheinder.

Can't get much worse than Brian Scheinder.

I really dont know what the mets should do about their catching situation, but I do know that giving Bengie Molina a 2 year deal is a really, really bad move. I would barely want him as a back up catcher......paying him a few million dollars is really stupid. Santos would be a better option when you consider the money the Mets are going to give to B-Mo

hugh, i really thought you were more of a student of the game, not a yankee hack.

don't let facts stand in your way of hating every move that makes the mets better. on every ranking, bengie is a top 10 catcher in the league, not the NL. and your defensive facts are just preposterous, he's more than adequate for a catcher with pop.

hugh, i really thought you were more of a student of the game, not a yankee hack.

don't let facts stand in your way of hating every move that makes the mets better. on every ranking, bengie is a top 10 catcher in the league, not the NL. and your defensive facts are just preposterous, he's more than adequate for a catcher with pop.

I am a student of the game Blu and Im not hating every move the mets make, just the Molina move(if it happens). I like the Bay signing, I dont love Bay as a player, Holliday is much better, but Bay is a fine player and one the Mets really need.

Im not sure where youre getting your information on Molina from, but its wrong or you and I have a different way of evaluating a player.

the mets are a terrible organization, I dont blame you

Yes terrible. The Yankees? No. terrible? Hardly.

YOu have proven yourself to be nothing but a bandwagon fan and I bet somewhere back around 1989 or 90 you wanted as much to do with the Yankees as you do now with the Giants. Fan attitudes like that do not just "pop up".

yeah i use facts and you go off the cuff. rolleyes.gif

http://espn.go.com/m...e/nl/order/true

http://espn.go.com/m...ng/_/position/c

gee if he's top 10 in hitting and top 10 in fielding, i guess he's top 10, no? confused.gif

Stop making sense Blu, hes not a Yankee, only Yankees viewed through the eyes are front running band wagon fans get the nod of greatness.

For the record I do not like Molina either, but they could do worse and something tells me by the end of the year he is sharing at bats with Thole anyway.

Stop making sense Blu, hes not a Yankee, only Yankees viewed through the eyes are front running band wagon fans get the nod of greatness.

For the record I do not like Molina either, but they could do worse and something tells me by the end of the year he is sharing at bats with Thole anyway.

you know those cubans, they hate puerto ricans.

i happen to like molina for 1 year- iif he'd accepted a year, giants would've kept him. but he had no desire to mentor buster posey, who is going to be over his head for a while. i don't blame bengie. he had a year in 2009 that earned him a starting role.

I dont want to sound condescending, but there are much better ways of evaluating baseball players. The stats used by ESPN and many others in the mainstream are extremely flawed and geriatric. Yes according to those stats he is top ten, but if you were to look deeper, youd see what I know.....that Bengie Molina is a horrible baseball player who I would barely want as a back up catcher.

It seems as if youre going by feidling percentage and batting average..two of the most misleading stats there are.

xxi- you obviously know nothing about me or my fanhood. I'll just leave it at that.

I dont want to sound condescending, but there are much better ways of evaluating baseball players. The stats used by ESPN and many others in the mainstream are extremely flawed and geriatric. Yes according to those stats he is top ten, but if you were to look deeper, youd see what I know.....that Bengie Molina is a horrible baseball player who I would barely want as a back up catcher.

It seems as if youre going by feidling percentage and batting average..two of the most misleading stats there are.

xxi- you obviously know nothing about me or my fanhood. I'll just leave it at that.

lol, the old 'i know things that other people don't ' excuse.

so tell me what you go by? i watched 95% of his games last year and you've watched maybe 1%. you even asked for my opinion knowing i've seen more of him. face it you're just prejudice against slow latin people.

I know this....you stated you are no longer a Giant fan based on some bad sequences of events. I assume that when the Yankees were god fucking awful in the late 80's and early 90's and were only fortunate enough that Steinbrenner was banned and Gene Michael cleaned that awful situation up you were not a fan of that team either. Nobody who off a few bad games that would abondon a team would have rooted for that shitshow. The bandwagon only started back up around 95 96....i you say you rooted for the Yankees at those times then so be it. I just find it hard to believe.