SportsWrath

David Wright on Jimmy Rollins' Comments

Blue Jeans

Quote: Wright on Jimmy Rollins

by Matthew Cerrone at 12:47PM (EST) on January 29, 2007 | Permanent Link

Earlier this off-season, according to MLB.com, Jimmy Rollins had the following to say regarding his team’s chances this coming season…

“I think we are the team to beat in the NL East…finally, but, that’s only on paper.

“For the first time since I’ve been here, I can say I know we have the pitching to get us there. Our offense has been productive the last couple years, but it’s tough when it’s 6-0 in the third inning.”

Earlier today, David Wright appeared in-studio as a guest on WFAN.

Wright, on Rollins, while talking with WFAN…

“I read in the paper that Jimmy Rollins thinks nobody else has a chance...When you read that, it irks you a bit and makes you wanna go out there and beat them that much more.”

…nice…them’s fighting words…let’s get it on…

To listen to Wright’s entire interview, check WFAN.com’s audio archives throughout the day.

Awesome.

He better hope that David Wright is the only one irked by this.

17 days?

I think it's cool that we're getting back in the swing, and that we are going to have legit competition this year.

I'm not keeping the countdown. But it better come fast!

Um, Rollins saus they are the team to beat and that they now have a good pitching staff, and Wright somehow hears nobody else has a chance? Sorry guys, but thats reaching, thats looking for a reason to get up.

Thing is, Rollins is right, the Phills have a good team, and they are gonna win the NL east.

Um, Rollins saus they are the team to beat and that they now have a good pitching staff, and Wright somehow hears nobody else has a chance? Sorry guys, but thats reaching, thats looking for a reason to get up.

Thing is, Rollins is right, the Phills have a good team, and they are gonna win the NL east.

Just like the Rangers won the AL West last year?

Doesn`t matter if they have a good pitching staff, you know they`ll under-achieve again this year anyway.

Last year the Mets won the NL East using 13 pitchers, one of them was Jose Lima and another was Jeremi Gonzalez.

Don`t give me this bullshit the Phillies are going to win the NL East, it just ain`t gonna happen.

And the AL was a sure thing in last year's World Series...

In baseball, everyone has a chance.

Doesn`t matter if they have a good pitching staff, you know they`ll under-achieve again this year anyway.

Last year the Mets won the NL East using 13 pitchers, one of them was Jose Lima and another was Jeremi Gonzalez.

Don`t give me this bullshit the Phillies are going to win the NL East, it just ain`t gonna happen.

I don't know what's more redundant these days, "The Phils will win the division", or "The Yankees will win #27." :unsure:

Now VG, don't be stupid. As long as the Mets are around, no one else in the division has a snowball's chance in hell at winning it.

Now VG, don't be stupid. As long as the Mets are around, no one else in the division has a snowball's chance in hell at winning it.

You know, as a Philly fan you can't say that. We baseball fans are a supersticious bunch of people so you better take that back or knock on wood or something.

I don't know why Philadelphia fans get their hopes up only to have their heart broken every year. They should just savor the Calder Cup and not expect anything more.

lol they do have two Calder Cups in the last 10 years. Well that is something to be proud of. The Phantoms suck this year.

The Hershey Bears just barely made it 2 Cups in 10 years. 1997 and 2006. Now that Cassivi is back in net we're expecting one more this year :TU:

Yeah you guys moved a head of us in the recent weeks. We had a hot start but cooled off quiet a bit. Got our asses handed to us by Norfolk a few nights ago.

Yeah you guys moved a head of us in the recent weeks. We had a hot start but cooled off quiet a bit. Got our asses handed to us by Norfolk a few nights ago.

There are a lot of bandwagon fans in Hershey though. It's that or the fan base is really starting to grow, which is good for hockey. In 97 the arena wasn't even full during the Cup celebration. Last year the parking lot was full for 2-3 hours before the celebration.

There are a lot of bandwagon fans in Hershey though. It's that or the fan base is really starting to grow, which is good for hockey. In 97 the arena wasn't even full during the Cup celebration. Last year the parking lot was full for 2-3 hours before the celebration.

Last time I was down there is when we sweeped you guys in the conference finals a few years ago, and that was the old arena. I hated that place, I was there a few times before it but never liked it. I have never been to the new one though. I go down to Lancaster quite a lot but we don't go to any games or anything.

Last time I was down there is when we sweeped you guys in the conference finals a few years ago, and that was the old arena. I hated that place, I was there a few times before it but never liked it. I have never been to the new one though. I go down to Lancaster quite a lot but we don't go to any games or anything.

HAHA. The old arena. The ceiling was falling in and the steps were so steep it felt like you were falling.

HAHA. The old arena. The ceiling was falling in and the steps were so steep it felt like you were falling.

and the seats would stab you in the ass. So uncomfortable but I did enjoy receiver some Hershey candy at the gate at the end of the game. We were pretty rowdy that evening. There were no Bears fans, the whole arena was invaded by Penguins fans. I went up to St. John, New Brunswick for the Calder Cup finals that year. That was really a great time.

and the seats would stab you in the ass. So uncomfortable but I did enjoy receiver some Hershey candy at the gate at the end of the game. We were pretty rowdy that evening. There were no Bears fans, the whole arena was invaded by Penguins fans. I went up to St. John, New Brunswick for the Calder Cup finals that year. That was really a great time.

I've never had more fun at a sporting event than I have when I'm at a hockey game. I'd say baseball is next. Been to many football games and I'm always bored. I'd much rather watch football on TV than be there in person.

I've never had more fun at a sporting event than I have when I'm at a hockey game. I'd say baseball is next. Been to many football games and I'm always bored. I'd much rather watch football on TV than be there in person.

I used to go to about 15-20 home games a year but I haven't had the time and money in the past few years. Yeah it is only minor league hockey but it is so fun to watch. The crowd, how fast the game is, just very exciting. Even when St. John won the cup a few years back, we were at a bar up there and there were some players on the team who brought the Calder Cup and I actually got a chance to drink out of it. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. That thing was so heavy. Rico Fata was the one who held it up for me while I drank out of it.

I used to go to about 15-20 home games a year but I haven't had the time and money in the past few years. Yeah it is only minor league hockey but it is so fun to watch. The crowd, how fast the game is, just very exciting. Even when St. John won the cup a few years back, we were at a bar up there and there were some players on the team who brought the Calder Cup and I actually got a chance to drink out of it. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. That thing was so heavy. Rico Fata was the one who held it up for me while I drank out of it.

NICE!! :clap: :worshippy:

Yeah and in 2004 the Ranges used 16 different starting pitchers to win 89 games, were bringing back a better overall team and ended up well below 500. Point is, teams over achieve sometimes.

And the AL was a sure thing in last year's World Series...

In baseball, everyone has a chance.

When did I ever say anything to the contrary, in fact many of you guys have already reserved a spot at the top of the division, if the the league.