SportsWrath

ooh-AH-nee OON-gah

BleedinBlue

I'm pulling for LB Uani' Unga to make the team. I think he's got a chance to replace Herzlich. I actually like Herzlich on special teams, but with his size a lack of speed, he just gets burned too often in the passing game. He's great against the run, but once the ball is thrown, he's a big liability...and of course, the NFL is a passing league and when Herz is on the field, they target him with a pass.

Uani' Unga, pronounced "ooh-AH-nee OON-gah", had more tackles as a senior at BYU than any other player in college in 2014. But...and that's a huge "but", he fucked up his knee on the last play of the last game of his senior year destroying his draft stock.

He spent the year rehabbing and building muscle. The Giants picked him up last year for pennies and put him on the practice team to see if his knee was salvageable. He impressed the coaches so much that they signed him to a 3-year contract in December. They must see some potential to hand out a 3-year deal. Now he's competing for the 5th or 6th LB spot.

The guy is a bit of a monster (6'1" 240) and is pretty old for a rookie. He took off 2 years to do missionary work after leaving Oregon State and returned to play at BYU, which makes him 27 years old who will turn 28 at the end of the year. I would think age is a concern. If he was 21, every team in the NFL would have been trying to sign him.

How cool would it be for TV announcers to have to say, "Owa O-diggy-ZOO-wah got ahold of the runner and ooh-AH-nee OON-gah finished him off". His name alone makes him qualify as a Giant.

5497.jpg

Here's some film on him courtesy of the New England Patriots

http://www.patriots.com/video/2014/03/01/2014-draft-prospect-uani-unga-lb-byu

Given his age, injury history, and lack of experience, sounds like a long shot, BB.

But like you said, his batshit-crazy sounding last name makes his chances a little better.