SportsWrath

Free agency/Tag

Bigblue25

I think grabbing Solder and Sitton would be a coup. That solidifies the left side of the line for four years. Those are two veterans who can change the attitude of the offensive line and set the tone for new players going forward.

A Nate Solder in decline is still substantially better than Erica Flowers at LT. Perhaps because of that fact, Solder will command a lower contract? Maybe 3 years $27 mil, with incentives and a small bonus?

Solder will easily command twice than and most likely will not accept anything less than a four year contract. Solder hitting the market at 29 yrs old is not based on his performance but his contract with the Patriots. He accepted a deal that paid him below market but guaranteed the team could not franchise tag him. There isn't a young better player ready to step up on the Patriots roster so they will make an effort to re-sign him.

According to PFF for those of you who just like that kinda thing: 74.7 overall grade

2017 stats (via Pro Football Focus): four sacks allowed, six quarterback hits allowed, 51 total pressures allowed in 16 games Highlight of the season: After struggling in pass protection early in the season, Solder turned things around following New England’s bye week. He surrendered just one sack and one QB hit over the Patriots’ final eight regular-season games and did not allow a sack in the playoffs.

Admittedly, Solder has been among the more inconsistent tackles in the NFL as he can have both hot and cold streaks featuring boom or bust games. However, he was able to put together very solid couple months in 2018 and was among the league’s best offensive tackles after the Patriots’ bye week in Week 9.

Not if he regressed...

Yea he will. He's the best LT on the market in a weak year. And when I checked he was already making an average of $12M/year. I doubt he'll accept anything less than that going into free agency in his prime.

• 2 weeks later...

A Nate Solder in decline is still substantially better than Erica Flowers at LT. Perhaps because of that fact, Solder will command a lower contract? Maybe 3 years $27 mil, with incentives and a small bonus?

I'm really interested in what the new coaches can do with Flowers, and I bet they are too.

I'm really interested in what the new coaches can do with Flowers, and I bet they are too.

They can move him to RT then decide to opt out of his fifth year option. That is what they can do with him. Problem with Flowers isn't coaching. He is simply not the LT the team sold the fanbase.

They can move him to RT then decide to opt out of his fifth year option. That is what they can do with him. Problem with Flowers isn't coaching. He is simply not the LT the team sold the fanbase.

He struggles with basic mechanics. If that's not a coaching issue then what is?

He struggles with basic mechanics. If that's not a coaching issue then what is?

His ability to use what he has been taught. The biggest problem with Flowers has been his footwork - handwork/placement. When Flowers gets into trouble he stops using what he has been taught. I did see an improvement in 2017, he played with more technique.