SportsWrath

Has anyone been this satisfied with a draft?

BlueInCanada

Pretty much where I'm at. Offensive line is still too shaky, so is the secondary and not sure we have the horses in the front Seven to mask it.

How is the offensive line still shaky? Solder and Herbandez are stellar.... Jones was solid... Its gonna take some time for the line to jell but shaky its not.

Solder is about average, and Hernandez is a rookie. So.... I'm going to go with iffy.

I do think those two will be improvements, and Flowers will be better at RT than what we had there last year (Bengals fans are pissed they have Hart in the running for a starting job). So, optimism!

I think Solder is better than average. You know who else was better than average, David Diehl. I see Hernandez as the new Chris Snee, same way I saw Richburg.

RT is the biggest question mark and backup center is the other question. Situation with Flowers has deteriorated since the end of the season unlike everything else going on at 1925 Giants Drive. Hard time seeing Wheeler/Bisnowaty out there starting and Flowers choosing to be elsewhere. If this is the way things have to be, so be it. Lets find out what Wheeler & Bisnowaty have and hope it works out this season.

I think Solder is better than average. You know who else was better than average, David Diehl. I see Hernandez as the new Chris Snee, same way I saw Richburg.

RT is the biggest question mark and backup center is the other question. Situation with Flowers has deteriorated since the end of the season unlike everything else going on at 1925 Giants Drive. Hard time seeing Wheeler/Bisnowaty out there starting and Flowers choosing to be elsewhere. If this is the way things have to be, so be it. Lets find out what Wheeler & Bisnowaty have and hope it works out this season.

he's durable, steady, reasonably young considering he's been healthy. So I'm not saying I disagree with the signing.

I hope he can do for us what Diehl did.

I wasn't super thrilled with Barkley pick UNTIL we got Hernandez in 2nd. Then I was stoked and had A grade for first two rounds. That grade continued with Carter in 3rd, now that I've read a little on him. 4th rd QB seems a wasted pick to me with arm strength concerns. Sure, he might be accurate, which I value more than most, but if he can't make all the throws, then what's the point.

So all told, I'm thinking B+ or A-.

Assuming you believe PFF... here is what our line looked like and what it looks like now, with their respective category grades.

Flowers - Pugh - Richburg - Jerry - Hart

Poor - Poor - Average - Average - Poor

Solder - Hernandez - Jones - Omameh - Flowers

Average - *No Grade - Below Average - Poor - Poor

So assuming Hernandez is "Average" in his rookie year, we're coming out ahead. How much ahead is up for debate, but the line should be at least slightly improved... also assuming that Flowers is the starting RT and does at least as well (as poorly?) on the right side as he did on the left.

I can't imagine Flowers staying on the team...let alone field, after this offseadon

I'm still a little worried about that right side of the line... but given Gettleman's past of getting "diamonds in the rough" through FA and the draft, specifically on the OL, I have to give the benefit of the doubt.

Assuming you believe PFF... here is what our line looked like and what it looks like now, with their respective category grades.

Flowers - Pugh - Richburg - Jerry - Hart

Poor - Poor - Average - Average - Poor

Solder - Hernandez - Jones - Omameh - Flowers

Average - *No Grade - Below Average - Poor - Poor

So assuming Hernandez is "Average" in his rookie year, we're coming out ahead. How much ahead is up for debate, but the line should be at least slightly improved... also assuming that Flowers is the starting RT and does at least as well (as poorly?) on the right side as he did on the left.

And when you consider Pugh and richburg being on the sideline all year its an even bigger improvement.

Still though, the line isnt finished being fixed. If omameh was doing a good job then a team with a ton of big contracts on the books wouldnt have given another big one to norwell to replace him. Hes a total finger crosser. And we have all said everything that needs to be said about flowers. The important thing is that we are moving in the right direction as opposed to standing pat like last offseason

Well, if Flowers was 'poor', then there needs to be some other term for Hart. As underwhelming as he was, Flowers was twice the player Hart was last year.

Richard Pryor said that growing up his family was so poor that they called it 'po' because they couldn't afford the whole word.

Personally I liked Chubb more than Barkley at #2. Partly based on position. Apparently the Giants had the same pre-draft grade on both dudes.

I also liked James Daniels in the 2nd. I think he went 2 or 3 picks after us. Hernandez seems solid however.

We will see what happens but I would be surprised to see this team win more than 5 or 6 games this year.

Taking Lauletta went against their narrative of not taking QB at 2

They didn't take a QB at 2 because Barkley was better than the QBs available at 2. Fact that they didn't have a consensus on who the best QB to draft at 2 was another factor.

Taking Lauletta went against their narrative of not taking QB at 2

No, instead of taking a QB they took the best player in the draft which is something they won't be able to do again for a while.

Not to mention have you heard Shurmur talk about Lulu? The guy has a raging chub for the kid.

He was obviously a Shurmur pick that Getty let him had.

Let's all not get too excited and worked up about the position drafted in the 4th round or later. These guys generally have such a low success rate in the league (yes, there are exceptions like Davonte Freeman, Telvin Smith, Stefon Diggs, Ahmad Bradshaw etc). If we get a starting caliber player out of the 4th round or later, I don't really care what position we drafted there, I'll take it regardless.

No, instead of taking a QB they took the best player in the draft which is something they won't be able to do again for a while.

Not to mention have you heard Shurmur talk about Lulu? The guy has a raging chub for the kid.

He was obviously a Shurmur pick that Getty let him had.

Have you heard any coaches, general managers or owners say anything bad about their picks before camp? Honestly they all talk up these guys, as the next great player to join the NFL. I"m sure they see value in Laulettta and all we see is a guy who might never have a meaningful snap in the NFL.

Have you heard any coaches, general managers or owners say anything bad about their picks before camp? Honestly they all talk up these guys, as the next great player to join the NFL. I"m sure they see value in Laulettta and all we see is a guy who might never have a meaningful snap in the NFL.

I agree however he talks about Lulu like EA talked about Eli, he's fascinated with the kid.

might never take a snap probably won't but doesn't mean the coach can't be excited about him.