SportsWrath

Josh Freeman A Giant

Mr. P

People are nuts if they think that his game against the Giants was more about having only a week or two to get ready. He lacked every physical tool needed to be a professional quarterback in that game. He could not make throws. It wasn't that he was confused about plays, he was physically awful.

Josh Freeman's departure in Tampa Bay was ugly, but there are two sides to every story. The former No. 17 overall pick threw for 4,065 yards and 27 touchdowns back in 2012 and was on the brink of becoming a top-tier quarterback.

A clash with head coach Greg Schiano ensued, a standoff that brought mixed results in the past. Freeman had one poor game against the Giants during his only start with Minnesota (one where he had barely any time to learn the offense) and now we're here. He should provide the Giants with a sense of security behind Eli Manning, who is recovering from ankle surgery, and he should push Ryan Nassib, unless the Giants have other plans for the 2013 fourth-round pick (new offensive coordinator, new quarterbacks coach and a draft with a few QB-starved teams looking for a sure thing).

Freeman wasn't the first backup off the board during free agency, but he may very well be the best. Take a look at these numbers between 2010 and 2012.

Player A:

11,108 yards passing, 68 touchdowns and 45 interceptions.

Completion percentage: 59.6

Yards per attempt: 7

Yards gained per pass completion: 11.8

Player B:

11,049 yards passing, 67 yards passing and 32 interceptions.

Completion percentage: 59.9

Yards per attempt: 7.1

Yards gained per pass completion: 11.8.

Player A is Freeman. Player B is Joe Flacco, who just signed a six-year, $120.6 million deal with more than $50 million guaranteed.

We're not suggesting Freeman and Flacco are interchangeable, but we are trying to take a look at the bigger picture here. According to the analytical site Pro Football Focus, he's between a 50-60 percent passer under pressure as a regular starter, which is no different than Andrew Luck's first two seasons (again, not suggesting they are the same player).

Point is, the Giants have more than $4 million to spend and they've clearly targeted this season as one to make a push for the division. Having someone like Freeman behind Manning gives them a better chance.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/04/josh_freeman_by_the_numbers_did_giants_sign_the_best_available_backup.html

Chance? I am not sure about chance. Signing a back-up QB is just reassurance. I like Josh Freeman but let's not act like he'll play even 1 or 2 games behind invincible Manning.

Unless the new OC has some batshit crazy idea.

And let's not act like the 13 interception difference is negligible, either. He's not Flacco, he's 13 interceptions worse than Flacco. An entire season of interceptions worse than Flacco in the same timespan.

He's better than Painter and that improves our team...

...but then again, I'm better than Painter and I'm a fatter-by-the-day desk jockey whose knees and ankles are about shot after repeated sprains with little treatment growing up playing soccer, not football

Lucky bastard! Gets to make millions while wearing a baseball cap on Sundays and pretend he is the opposing QB during the week.

Being here in Florida, I've seen him play many games as a BUC. He started out a rookie looking like he might be pretty good, but just got worse as years gone by. I'm wondering what NY is thinking on this one, but I guess 1 year deal is OK.

Being here in Florida, I've seen him play many games as a BUC. He started out a rookie looking like he might be pretty good, but just got worse as years gone by. I'm wondering what NY is thinking on this one, but I guess 1 year deal is OK.

Have you seen Curtis Painter play?

Have you seen Curtis Painter play?

To be honest, since Eli came in...we haven't seen anyone really play. But Freeman was a starter and didn't get it done. who knows, Maybe he will do better in NY, but we'll never know while Eli's here.

I remember one year he was second in TD:INT ratio only to Brady. He really went down hill after that and it sounded like he wasn't that interested in working on it.

I remember one year he was second in TD:INT ratio only to Brady. He really went down hill after that and it sounded like he wasn't that interested in working on it.

Believe me, I feel bad for the guy. The Bucs have been shit since he came in, so it's sort of hard to tell if he just needs better coaching maybe. remember the shootout him and Eli had? he does have something but it sure was fading in Tampa. I know for a fact Schiano didn't do him a damn bit of good.