SportsWrath

What was "Unsportsmanlike"...

Treehugger

...about Richburg's perfectly legal block on Josh Norman?

I'm also curious as to what was illegal about the block on the gunner that erased the blocked punt?

It was the taunting.... sorry, "taunting". Because apparently looking at somebody after you beat their ass is "taunting" now.

I really don't get the disproportionate focus on the Giants for that kind of thing.... watch every play, every single play, in every game. Somebody is getting the post-play stare down. How is that a flag? Its like the most mild fucking thing that happens in the course of the game.

On the blocked punt personal foul, Adams popped a guy in the head who had held up and stopped playing after the blocked punt. It was a shit move, fair penalty IMO. Would have been a foul just for the block to the face.

Not just that on the blocked punt, but I don't think the two players could have been much further from the actual play...so there's that to take into consideration too. The Giants player...Adams, or whatever...I think I would've asked for his helmet and jersey as he was walking off the field. I think the owners probably could've made that happen...

I think Richburg's block was perfectly fine. It was to Norman's side, not back, not head, and was not a cut block. Norman wasn't already engaged with another player. The play itself was ongoing and Norman was close enough to make a tackle or at least a tackle attempt. If I'm Richburg, I'm really confused on what was wrong with that play. I have not seen the first penalty was, but the one that got him ejected should not have been called in my opinion.

Doesn't matter though. The Giants shit the bed big time. There is no reason they should've lost that one...none. And for all the preaching that McAdoo does about taking care of the ball...maybe he needs to take the time to give instruction on how exactly to do so. Turnovers and penalties...shot ourselves in both feet repeatedly. Frustrating loss due to the lost opportunity to put distance between ourselves and a division opponent, but hopefully a learning point.

There is no reason they should've lost that one...none. And for all the preaching that McAdoo does about taking care of the ball...maybe he needs to take the time to give instruction on how exactly to do so. Turnovers and penalties...shot ourselves in both feet repeatedly.

I was watching the game with my son and said, "See Shane Vereen? See how the ball is away from his body? That's NOT how you hold the football."

Next play: fumble.

It was a fantastic learning moment for a kid playing football.

For the Giants to have let this game get down to the last possession was a real failure on their part. They have serious problems on offense and it goes back to last season. I think there are several frustrations:

Eli not having confidence in his O-line to hold long enough to go through his progressions. I think if he did, I don't believe he would've made that final throw that was intercepted.

Play-calling is terrible at times in key spots: a third and goal wheel route to Bobby Rainey (that was really an INT). The fact that Cruz was only thrown to three times... while Donnell and Tye got more targets. Team rushed for 5.7 ypc, yet only 21 team carries... could've committed more to the run, IMO. And I definitely want to highlight the first series: Run for 2 yards on first down, 2 yard pass to Donnell on 2nd down, and another short pass well short of the sticks to Donnell on 3rd and 6 that fell incomplete. That was a giveaway possession to start the game, a three and out there, and continues a trend of not taking enough shots on deep and intermediate routes. Later, after Eli got sacked and fumbled (recovered by Jerry), on 2nd and 22, they run the ball up the middle with Darkwa. Really? How about try to get at least 10 yards there and give yourself a chance on third down? Later, on third and 10, another throw short of the sticks to Beckham, resulting in a FG. Which leads me to my next point:

Red zone execution. Was bad last year and not showing much improvement. This is how they were in the red zone yesterday: TD, TD, FG (pass to Rainey should've been ruled an INT), INT, and FG. More importantly, 2nd half red zone trips went FG, INT, FG. Too many possessions were given away. Great teams convert more often down there. That's the difference between a great team and a team that's just ok. They need to clean this up.

Not utilizing your strengths enough. Through three games, I think that the best receiver in the NFL is getting a good amount of targets, but I think it should be more. I think Shepard and Cruz should get more, also. Time to open this offense up and really let it rip.

Penalties were not as much of an issue last year but yesterday was awful, and they really hurt the team. Especially taking the blocked punt off the board and the OPI on Beckham.

For the Giants to have let this game get down to the last possession was a real failure on their part. They have serious problems on offense and it goes back to last season. I think there are several frustrations:

Eli not having confidence in his O-line to hold long enough to go through his progressions. I think if he did, I don't believe he would've made that final throw that was intercepted.

Play-calling is terrible at times in key spots: a third and goal wheel route to Bobby Rainey (that was really an INT). The fact that Cruz was only thrown to three times... while Donnell and Tye got more targets. Team rushed for 5.7 ypc, yet only 21 team carries... could've committed more to the run, IMO. And I definitely want to highlight the first series: Run for 2 yards on first down, 2 yard pass to Donnell on 2nd down, and another short pass well short of the sticks to Donnell on 3rd and 6 that fell incomplete. That was a giveaway possession to start the game, a three and out there, and continues a trend of not taking enough shots on deep and intermediate routes. Later, after Eli got sacked and fumbled (recovered by Jerry), on 2nd and 22, they run the ball up the middle with Darkwa. Really? How about try to get at least 10 yards there and give yourself a chance on third down? Later, on third and 10, another throw short of the sticks to Beckham, resulting in a FG. Which leads me to my next point:

Red zone execution. Was bad last year and not showing much improvement. This is how they were in the red zone yesterday: TD, TD, FG (pass to Rainey should've been ruled an INT), INT, and FG. More importantly, 2nd half red zone trips went FG, INT, FG. Too many possessions were given away. Great teams convert more often down there. That's the difference between a great team and a team that's just ok. They need to clean this up.

Not utilizing your strengths enough. Through three games, I think that the best receiver in the NFL is getting a good amount of targets, but I think it should be more. I think Shepard and Cruz should get more, also. Time to open this offense up and really let it rip.

Penalties were not as much of an issue last year but yesterday was awful, and they really hurt the team. Especially taking the blocked punt off the board and the OPI on Beckham.

My quick take: Started out playing well on both sides. Washington adjusted, we didn't. This was a McAdoo game in a nutshell.

On the blocked punt personal foul, Adams popped a guy in the head who had held up and stopped playing after the blocked punt. It was a shit move, fair penalty IMO. Would have been a foul just for the block to the face.

I missed that it was in the head, but otherwise, unless it was long after the whistle (which I doubt it was) it was a fair play IMO. He hadn't held up, he had just run back in-bounds. I doubt either player new the punt was blocked.

They both knew that the punt was blocked and were looking back. This dude - Adams you say?? - he just flat out bitchhit the Skins player for no reason. It was a shitty and well deserved personal foul. If he didnt behave like some thug from 68 Detroit - you can literally say BLM. Yeah I said it...so sue me. This dude just fucked the game for the Giants.

I missed that it was in the head, but otherwise, unless it was long after the whistle (which I doubt it was) it was a fair play IMO. He hadn't held up, he had just run back in-bounds. I doubt either player new the punt was blocked.

hmmm... in slow mo, it looked real bad.

In real time, I'm not sure why it was an unsportsmanlike call. The gunner is pulling out of the play, but it was bang bang (and I disagree Iceman, I didn't see Adams looking back, just the gunner).

Hands to the face, okay, but at that point it would have been after the change of possession and couldn't have undone the play.

Ok, so I just saw the Saints run a WR screen to score a touchdown and they had guys blocking before the ball was even thrown. I'm not sure what Beckham did that was so egregious to call offensive PI for. Doesn't make sense when other teams run the same play with the same timing. Initially, I thought Beckham was a split second early but I see teams run that play the same way. I thought the officiating was questionable at best.

Ok, so I just saw the Saints run a WR screen to score a touchdown and they had guys blocking before the ball was even thrown. I'm not sure what Beckham did that was so egregious to call offensive PI for. Doesn't make sense when other teams run the same play with the same timing. Initially, I thought Beckham was a split second early but I see teams run that play the same way. I thought the officiating was questionable at best.

I thought he was inside 5 yards too, which would make it perfectly legal.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000709255/Week-3-Josh-Norman-vs-Odell-Beckham-Jr-highlights

The play is at 1:40.

He initiates contact with the ball in the air, it's beyond 1 yard anyway, and he makes the block very obvious. If he runs a route and positions himself to get in the way, and continues to run a route, a lot of times they will let that go. Odell grabbed on, even as the defender was pulling away from him.

Weston Richburg became the first NFL player to be ejected from a game after being called for two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties during the New York Giants' Week 3 loss to the Washington Redskins.

On Wednesday, the NFL handed Richburg a 12,000 fine for taunting. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Richburg will appeal the fine. There has been no word on a possible suspension.

It was initially believed that Richburg was called for the penalty on what looked to be a clean block against Josh Norman, but it turns out he was dinged for yelling/taunting Norman after the block.

Still not sure what the first penalty was.