SportsWrath

my free agency and draft thoughts

BigPete

Here are my draft and free agent thoughts (24/02/2006)

let me know what you think

Currently we are around $4 mil under the 2006 salary cap number.

Free Agency

Thoughts

This assumes we don't resign Will Allen or Kendrick Clancy, that Will Peterson will be able to contribute and that Barrett Green is 100% healthy

Release

Brent Alexander, Shaun Williams, Carlos Emmons, Jason Whittle (Snee and/or Seubert can backup Center), Jared Lorenzen (he refused to go to NFL europe for playing experience). This will free up around $6.34 mil in 2006 cap space

That will give us around $10.34 mil in 2006 cap space for free agency and signing rookies

Resign

WR David Tyree (RFA)

TE Visanthe Shiancoe (RFA)

QB Tim Hassleback

OT Bob Whitfield

RB Chad Morton

Sign

P Dave Zastudil (Ravens) (2006 cap number around $0.9 mil)

A good young punter to replace Feagles. Zastudil would have the chance to play on a good special teams unit for a young improving team with legitimate playoff expectations.

CB Ronde Barber (Buccaneers) (2006 cap number around $1.6 mil)*

A good solid veteran CB, Barber adds much needed experience to a young talented secondary. The Giants give Barber the opportunity to play with Tiki (first time since college) and be on a team with legitimate playoff aspirations

*This assumes he is a salary cap casualty (likely due to his high cap number), a secondary option would be Deshea Townsend (Steelers)

DT Orpheus Roye (Browns) (2006 cap number around $1.6 mil)

Roye doesn't get alot of sacks, but does create alot of pressure, last year he had 88 tackles, 3 sacks and defended 4 passes in zone blitz system. The Giants offer Roye an opportunity to play for a team with legitimate playoff aspirations (Roye just turned 33, like Strahan, the clock is ticking. Roye is a huge short term upgrade over Clancy.

WR Corey Bradford (Texans) (2006 cap number around $1.1 mil)

Bradford has good hands and speed, he didn't get alot of opportunities in an ordinary Texan offense. The Giants offer Bradford an opportunity to play for a team with legitimate playoff aspirations. Bradford will be productive for the Giants, and may compete with Toomer for #2.

QB Jeff Garcia (Detroit) (2006 cap number around $1.1 mil)

A 35 year old former probowl QB. With Drew Brees, Jay Fieldler, Aaron Brooks, Kerry Collins and Jon Kitna becoming available in free agency, a good strong rookie QB class, and the fact that it looks like Detroit, Houston and Arizona seem to be keeping their current QB, there are no starting opportunities for Garcia. Garcia does have a quick release, good blitz pickup and decent mobility (though not as much as he used to). Garcia is accurate (he has a 60% career completion percentage). Garcia is a quality professional and team guy. The Giants give Garcia a chance to play for a legitimate playoff contender.

Free Agent signing thoughts

Roye will help us get alot more pressure from our interior defensive line. This will mean that Strahan and Umenyiora can be double teamed alot less. This will be a very formidable defensive line.

We don't need young free agents, good veterans will suffice while our youngsters develop

This will leave us around $4.04 mil to sign rookies and keep as a reserve

Draft

(I think the Giants can better fill their needs with an additional day 1 pick)

Giants trade #25 to Lions for #40, #74 (example trade)

#40 LB D'Qwell Jackson 6-1, 231, 4.65 Maryland

An athletic, aggressive, instinctive and smart playmaker at LB. Jackson can play any of the positions, but we will most likely use him at WLB. Jackson will slip due the the extreme depth at LB this year. A quality WLB to develop behind/compete with Barrett Green.

#56 FS Donte Whitner 5-11, 205, 4.45 Ohio State

A quality fast ballhawk safety. A dominating SS at college who could play CB in the NFL. Whitner will slip because the safety and CB classes are both very deep with top talent. Whitner doesn't quite have ideal size at 5-11 and may be viewed as a bit of a tweener. Whitner didn't have amazing college production. An immediate huge upgrade for our secondary. Whitner will likely start, but will compete with James Butler and Gibril Wilson.

#74 LB Kai Parham 6-3, 253, 4.59 Virginia

A quality LB who is a big hitter, good pass rusher and great tackler. The best player available at this point. Parham slips due to the sheer volume of quality LB talent this year. Parham adds competition for Torbor and provides quality depth at both SLB and MLB. Parham also upgrades our special teams.

#87 CB Will Blackmon 6-1, 200, 4.52 Boston College

An athletic, physical, ball hawk with good speed. Blackmon is very raw, he is a development CB prospect but has the physical tools to be a top NFL CB. Blackmon is a quality punt and kick returner. Blackmon would be a huge boost to our special teams. Blackmon will slip do to the number of top junior CBs in the draft.

#123 DT Montavious Stanley 6-2, 321, 5.05 Louisville

A big strong DT with great size, strength, quickness and good mobility. Stanley was maybe an underachiever at Louisville (although still productive). Stanley was a big reason why Elvis Dumervil had 20.5 sacks in 2005.

#153 WR David Anderson 5-11, 195, 4.50 Colorado State

A talented reciever with good hands, decent speed and great quickness, precise routes and great instincts. Anderson will slip as he doesn't have ideal size, height or blazing speed, and this WR class is very deep. Anderson gives us a quality WR to develop for the future and adds competition behind our starters.

#184 OC Patrick Ross 6-4, 295, 5.05 Boston College

A quality playmaking Linebacker with good quickness and great intincts. Ingram makes plays over the field. Ingram will slip due to the sheer volume of quality LB prospects in the draft. Ingram adds quality OLB depth and a good special Teams player

#215 TE Jeff King 6-5 253 4.85 Virginia Tech

A young TE with good size, hands and blocking ability. An upgrade over Sean Berton

Draft Thoughts

All these guys will slip as they don't have outstanding measurables or hype and their draft classes are very deep with top talent.

There is some concern about the long term future as Giants of Barrett Green and Will Peterson. I think the Giants will be looking at drafting their replacements.

My Giants Roster (24/02/2006) would be something like

Offense

QB: Eli Manning, Jeff Garcia, Tim Hassleback

RB: Tiki Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Chad Morton

FB: Jim Finn

WR: Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Corey Bradford, David Anderson*, David Tyree, Jamaar Taylor

TE: Jeremy Shockey, Visanthe Shiancoe, Jeff King*

OT: Kareem McKenzie, Luke Petitgout, Bob Whitfield

OG: Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert

OC: Shaun O'Hara, Patrick Ross*

Defense

DT: William Jospeh, Orpheus Roye, Fred Robbins, Montavious Stanley*

DE: Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Eric Moore

LB: Reggie Torbor, Antonio Pierce, Barrett Green, D'Qwell Jackson*, Kai Parham*, Chase Blackburn

CB: Ronde Barber, Will Peterson, Corey Webster, Will Blackmon*, Curtis Deloatch

S: Donte Whitner*, Gibril Wilson, James Butler

Special Teams

K: Jay Feeley

P: Dave Zastudil

LS: Ryan Kuehl

* rookie

I'd love to get Jackson and Whitner. That would really infuse our defense with talent. Not really sold on guys like Bradford (he isn't near the WR Toomer is). Plus, I think we will carry at least 9 DBs and that Kenderick Allen and/or Damane Duckett will be on the roster...

We don't have alot of money to use in free agency, so I doubt we will get many big name targets.

We need a 3rd WR, I don't think we will get good value there in the draft. It came down to Bradford and Gaffney. Gaffney has more upside, but Bradford has speed which we lose alot of with Carter's departure and he will be cheaper. Really you could go either way.

We don't have alot of money to use in free agency, so I doubt we will get many big name targets.

We need a 3rd WR, I don't think we will get good value there in the draft. It came down to Bradford and Gaffney. Gaffney has more upside, but Bradford has speed which we lose alot of with Carter's departure and he will be cheaper. Really you could go either way.

I'd prefer Gaffney. Pretty similar skills to Keenan McCardell, who Coughlin coached from an obscure receiver into a Pro Bowler. Bradford has speed, but his yards per catch totals indicate he has not been much of a deep threat in recent years...and he's on the wrong side of 30. Another guy to consider is Josh Reed of Buffalo.

I do have confidence in Jamaar Taylor to be a big-play WR, if only he could stay healthy.

Btw, welcome aboard, Pete!

no problem :TU:

Eli is the QB of the Giants, no if or buts, our success is going to hinge on how well he goes this season.

What do we realistically want out of a backup QB? an experienced cheap veteran who can step in and contribute if Eli goes down in the playoffs or late in the season. Someone who will be content being the backup and is team focused.

Edited by BigPete

Ideally, we want someone with starting experience who can a.) step in and contribute should disaster strike, and b.) use his experience to help Eli's development. At the same time, we;d want our back-up QB to understand that he is the back-up and not in a competition.

Ideally, we want someone with starting experience who can a.) step in and contribute should disaster strike, and b.) use his experience to help Eli's development. At the same time, we;d want our back-up QB to understand that he is the back-up and not in a competition.

I think someone like Jeff Garcia would be a good fit, there are better QB options, but they will be more expensive, not have the same level of experience or ideally would like to be the starter.

Much like Bob Whitfield, he is not the ideal LT backup, but he is good value. He has a heap of experience and got the job done last year.