SportsWrath

Brandon Jacobs

bluebloodinflorida

Brandon Jacobs  

25 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think his role in 2006 be?

• Same as 2006....3rd and short back
    • Fullback
    • Preparing to take over as featured back
    • Benched due to lack of production
    • Loudmouth/Troublemaker

I don't know what Tiki and JB run in the 40 with or without pads. Since without is irrelevant, let's go with pads.

I don't see Tiki with break away speed and that's never been his moniker (sp.). I don't know where the idea that BJ has good manueverability comes from. Where was that demonstrated?

He's an intriguing prospect, but I would be surpised to see him excel. He's not just tall as some proport other RB's to be. He's got a significant length to his torso which is why he struggles to get low and since his primary carries are shorts (thus far) there's not much likelyhood (for him) to out maneuver defenders (assuming he could).

I'm not ready to throw him away and frankly, I like him better than Ward. The challenge (as I see it) is that we have a Ward and a Jacobs and we need a hybrid to compliment Tiki. Running style are not easily adapted to by OL, especially when they're used to the TIki style of running.

I'd say Brandon is our big hope and as of yet, he's only shown himself worthy to be on the team. He did not earn more carries just yet. Perhaps necessity will intervene, but I sure hope not.

When exactly has had an opportunity to earn more carries? He carried only in short-yardage situations this year. As for his speed, I refer you to preseason games or any of his college games (at Southern Illinois or Auburn) when he played in normal situations. He consistently ran in high 4.4s to low 4.5s during pre-draft workouts ... they guy can move.

I also think Derrick Ward's running style is closer to Tiki's than people think.

He's vertically fast when measured, not in pads. So, that hasn't manifested itself in preseason or otherwise.

He's had the opportunity to earn more carries by accomplishing his goal line assignments. Fumbling and not getting in when that's your only job makes him as valuable as Feely in his kicking performance against Seattle.

He's not wasted, nor is he fully utilized, but that's not a function of might be good and sometimes gets the job done.

Ward is similar to Tiki and that'll take more exposure since cut back-lane running is difficult to perefect. Tiki's done it though and we'll need to begin planning for the future. Hopefully we'll see better production and reliability from Tiki's back-ups.

Too bad. If it weren't for all his limitations, Hulk Hogan might've had a decent career. Oh...wait...

I liked that one. Of course, I've been waiting for someone to remark about that one. Of course, a general football reference would've been too obvious though!

The problem with Jacobs is he has to learn how to get low consistently when called upon for short yardage. That resulted in the almost fumble against the Saints and the fumble against the Cowboys and his later struggles in the year. He failed to get low, relied on his size too much. In other words, was a cocky rookie. That'll change.

He's vertically fast when measured, not in pads. So, that hasn't manifested itself in preseason or otherwise.

He's had the opportunity to earn more carries by accomplishing his goal line assignments. Fumbling and not getting in when that's your only job makes him as valuable as Feely in his kicking performance against Seattle.

He's not wasted, nor is he fully utilized, but that's not a function of might be good and sometimes gets the job done.

Ward is similar to Tiki and that'll take more exposure since cut back-lane running is difficult to perefect. Tiki's done it though and we'll need to begin planning for the future. Hopefully we'll see better production and reliability from Tiki's back-ups.

Did you watch the guy running through the Browns secondary? Beating defenders to the edge? Running all over the place at Auburn, SIU, and the East-West shrine game? Saying the guy isn't fast in pads is simply wrong. He has plenty of speed to play RB in the NFL.

It's hard to fully utilize a back-up RB when Tiki Barber is your starting RB. Scoring 7 TDs as a rookie is pretty good, no?

The problem with Jacobs is he has to learn how to get low consistently when called upon for short yardage. That resulted in the almost fumble against the Saints and the fumble against the Cowboys and his later struggles in the year. He failed to get low, relied on his size too much. In other words, was a cocky rookie. That'll change.

What fumble against the Saints? The one where he lost the ball after he already scored? That's not a fumble my friend...

Too bad. If it weren't for all his limitations, Hulk Hogan might've had a decent career. Oh...wait...

Hollywood Brandon Jacobs. I like the sound of that. :P

How long until someone comes along and suggests Jacobs be called "Thunderlips"?

What fumble against the Saints? The one where he lost the ball after he already scored? That's not a fumble my friend...

The problem with Jacobs is he has to learn how to get low consistently when called upon for short yardage. That resulted in the almost fumble against the Saints and the fumble against the Cowboys and his later struggles in the year. He failed to get low, relied on his size too much. In other words, was a cocky rookie. That'll change

;)

gateb, what the fuck is an almost fumble? He fumbled 1 time. Losing the ball after the play is dead is not "an almost fumble" ... its losing the ball after the play is dead.

The guy fumbled 1 time, and he was extremely sure-handed in college. End of discussion.

gateb, what the fuck is an almost fumble? He fumbled 1 time. Losing the ball after the play is dead is not "an almost fumble" ... its losing the ball after the play is dead.

The guy fumbled 1 time, and he was extremely sure-handed in college. End of discussion.

I'm not criticizing him and his hands, I know that he is sure-handed. I'm just saying that if he were to get low then that fumble wouldn't have happened and he would've had more success.

And that could've been ruled either way against the Saints. Odds are he was over the line but if it was a yard or two farther away then that was a fumble. Did you see that ball just flying up there during his effort to get in? Obviously, he gets the benefit of the doubt because it was his second game and he is just a rookie and is human but that's all I'm saying. Get low.

I'm not criticizing him and his hands, I know that he is sure-handed. I'm just saying that if he were to get low then that fumble wouldn't have happened and he would've had more success.

And that could've been ruled either way against the Saints. Odds are he was over the line but if it was a yard or two farther away then that was a fumble. Did you see that ball just flying up there during his effort to get in? Obviously, he gets the benefit of the doubt because it was his second game and he is just a rookie and is human but that's all I'm saying. Get low.

The fumble against Dallas happens regardless of his pad level. Any time Roy Williams puts a hat on the ball, there is a good chance it will come out.

The refs had already ruled TD, then some Saints player slapped the ball out. Again, the whole "get lower" thing doesn't apply...

The fumble against Dallas happens regardless of his pad level. Any time Roy Williams puts a hat on the ball, there is a good chance it will come out.

The refs had already ruled TD, then some Saints player slapped the ball out. Again, the whole "get lower" thing doesn't apply...

In general it does, not just to protect the ball. He would have had a higher percentage of converted first downs if he did get low. I thought he did tremendous considering his running style.

Again, I'm not criticizing just the fumbles. I feel the "get low" strategy could work better for Jacobs. And I noticed he did do that later in the year, against the Raiders I remember.

I just saw the Giants Saints highlight of Jacobs. It turns out not only is the ball vulnerable, he is vulnerable. It turns out the Saint was trying to strip the ball for at least half a yard and if he weren't as sure handed as we know, that would've been a fumble quicker. He could've ducked and he would've gotten in with less stress added on us.

In general it does, not just to protect the ball. He would have had a higher percentage of converted first downs if he did get low. I thought he did tremendous considering his running style.

Again, I'm not criticizing just the fumbles. I feel the "get low" strategy could work better for Jacobs. And I noticed he did do that later in the year, against the Raiders I remember.

I just saw the Giants Saints highlight of Jacobs. It turns out not only is the ball vulnerable, he is vulnerable. It turns out the Saint was trying to strip the ball for at least half a yard and if he weren't as sure handed as we know, that would've been a fumble quicker. He could've ducked and he would've gotten in with less stress added on us.

I honestly didn't notice an association the times he did not convert in short-yardage and running too high. Usually, his getting stugged had more to do with penetration by the defense (see: Eagles). I agree, that maintaining a lower pad level on a consistent basis would help him ... but you're reasoning is based on false infor and non-applicable examples.

I think you are completely mis-analyzing that play. But keep going.

I honestly didn't notice an association the times he did not convert in short-yardage and running too high. Usually, his getting stugged had more to do with penetration by the defense (see: Eagles). I agree, that maintaining a lower pad level on a consistent basis would help him ... but you're reasoning is based on false infor and non-applicable examples.

I think you are completely mis-analyzing that play. But keep going.

Maybe not the Cowboys game but I believe the run in the Saints game was a classic example of what he was doing for the most part all year.

I may have mistyped my intention, I don't belive that he's too slow in pads, however his 40 time is somewhat misleading, since his play in pads does seem different and (of course) he's powerful when running downhill...I don't know many RB's that aren't besides Warrick Dunn.

Never the less, running high is a problem for a variety of reasons, most notably ball security (which has happened to him), drive (he doens't run over his feet), and then there's the angles that he hasn't taken since the Cleveland game.

Judging by a preseason game against the Browns, I wouldn't call that (very strong) performance and indicator of his ability in game speed against starters.

You needn't convince me to like BJ, but he hasn't accomplished his assignments with great consistency.

He also must not be a great blocker yet, since he's not kept in on those assignments with great frequency, though I will say that I appreciate his tenacity on special teams.

Not our starter anytime soon though, his role next year: 3rd string, unless he has a wicked good camp