SportsWrath

Reese's Pieces

Bigblue25

Well you guys were asking for a comparision for Reese to other GM's...

PIGSKIN PAUL'S PAGE

by Pigskin Paul Guillemette, Associate Editor/Chief Scout

Got comments! Let Paul know.

ROSTER FOLLOW-UP

Movember 21

During Training Camps/Pre-season I compiled some numbers on how teams had acquired the collective talent on their rosters. It primarily focussed on roster composition indicating how many players on each roster were still with the team that signed them out of college whether it be as Draftees or URFA. Now its time to look at regular season rosters and check the numbers again. I printed up 32 team rosters effective November 16, 2014. THen I traced the original NFL teams of each player. In addition to the 53 an active rosters I also included all players on the NFL's myriad of reserve lists. I did not include Practice Squads. On the chart below you will see teams listed, with their current records, the total number of players native to that team, total number on their roster & reserve lists, and the percentage/% of "home acquired" talent. If a player was originally signed by a team, went to another team and then came back I counted them as home grown. Because I am a Draftnik I always assume growing your own is a good thing. Please also keep in mind that home grown means URFA signings as well as Draft Picks. With only about 8 draftees per year you just can't build your roster with just them. So here goes, as listed by highest percentage first.

PACKERS (7-3) 61/49 80.3%

STEELERS (7-4) 56/40 71.4%

49'ERS (6-4) 69/48 69.6%

BENGALS (6-3-1) 61/42 68.8%

VIKINGS (4-6) 60/41 68.3%

JETS (2-8) 59/40 67.8%

FALCONS (4-6) 63/42 66.7%

RAVENS (6-5) 63/42 66.7%

TEXANS (5-5) 61/40 65.6%

RAMS (4-6) 61/40 65.6%

BRONCOS (7-3) 58/38 65.6%

SEAHAWKS (6-4) 69/45 65.2%

COWBOYS (7-3) 63/41 65.1%

DOLPHINS (6-4) 64/40 62.5%

SAINTS (4-6) 62/38 61.3%

PATRIOTS (8-2) 61/37 60.6%

CHARGERS (6-4) 63/37 58.7%

EAGLES (7-3) 58/33 56.9%

LIONS (7-3) 62/35 56.4%

JAGUARS (1-9) 65/36 55.4%

BILLS (5-5) 61/33 54.1%

CHIEFS (7-3) 63/34 54.0%

PANTHERS (3-7-1) 62/33 53.2%

WASHINGTON (3-7) 61/32 52.5%

RAIDERS (0-10) 63/32 51.6%

CARDS (9-1) 62/32 51.6%

TITANS (2-8) 61/31 50.8%

GIANTS (3-7) 69/34 49.3%

BROWNS (6-4) 61/29 47.5%

BEARS (4-6) 57/27 47.4%

COLTS (6-4) 65/28 43.1%

BUCS (2-8) 59/25 42.4%

In general the premise that growing your own talent works best seems to hold up here. The teams fighting for the first pick in the 2015 NFL Draft right now are all pretty much bottom feeders with the exception of the JAGUARS. But the JAGS have 19 Rookies on their roster right now and could be headed upward if/when Blake Bortles develops into a solid starting QB. The COLTS are near the bottom of the list despite being a Play-Off contender, but I would say the wild card in that scenario is having ANDREW LUCK as their QB. The biggest exception of all may be the 9-1 CARDINALS who rank above only 6 other teams in this evaluation. Their wild card is clearly HC BRUCE ARIANS and his coaching staff. The ultimate practitioner of getting your guys and keeping them, TED THOMPSON, logically sits at the top of this list by a healthy margin, and his team currently sits with a healthy 7-3 record. There are multiple teams here who are run by fairly new GMs, and I expect their reliance on home grown talent to rise in the coming years. Guys like PHIL EMERY in Chicago, REGGIE McKENZIE in Oakland would be examples of those type of top guys. If I were to pick a number to shoot for as an NFL General Manager I think the 67% number strikes me as about right as a target. But you still have to draft the right players from a talent and locker room perspective. And you must have a coaching staff that will play and work at developing young guys.

http://www.gbnreport.com/paulspage.html

:ermm: The top 10 teams on this list are 50/50 between winning records and .500 and below. The bottom 10 reflects the premise slightly better with only 3 teams with winning records, but 2 of the teams are division leaders, and one has the best record in the league.

The only thing this list seems to indicate is that there may be a threshold of draft picks on the team (about 56%) that makes a winning team easier to accomplish.

He's also adding injured reserve...how exactly are UFAs on IR doing anything for a team? Half of our IR list (7--let that sink in) are non-draftee/non-UDFA. In fact, we're signing off the street free agents to replace these guys at this point, and that's also skewing things. Unless you're going to argue Orleans Darkwa, Chandler Fenner, Mike Harris, and Chykie Brown are upgrades from the guys they replaced.

Just to muddy things up a bit... the Giants led the league with starter games lost to injury last year.

Also, 2013 saw them at the bottom, and they beat the next closest team by over 30 points.

That next closest team both years? The Indianapolis Colts. Who seem to be pretty good. How fucking great would that team be if they weren't so injured every year?

So yeah. Let the injures vs. coaching vs. bad drafting debate rage on!

Wait a minute. You guys are all like "provide me with data comparing Reese to other GMs." Well, here some is, and it's poo-pooed? This is as good of a GM/Team to GM/Team comparison as you're going to get simply because there are too many variables and intangibles that should be considered when assessing his performance.

I would say that the first 16 teams on that list are either playoff contenders or teams that are lacking one essential piece, such as a quarterback, to BECOME a playoff contender (such as the Rams and Texans). The Jets are the sole exception. The bottom half is certainly filled with a majority of underwhelming, middling teams, suggesting that their lack of keeping and developing their own talent has impacted their win-loss record. I would like to see a study from the last few years and next years, to establish some stronger correlation. One could easily put this information into a statistical program like SPSS and get an idea if there is a correlation between homegrown talent and playoffs---and it may be about the only useful assessment of a GMs success, though it discounts factors such as coaching, strength of schedule, injuries, etc. It's just a matter of coding the data a little better than this guy presents it.

This list also compares TEAMS....not GMs. In the case of the Giants, Eli counts as one who obviously was drafted by his home team, but not necessarily by his current GM.

Someone would need to look at Reese, look at who he selected in what round, and look at the return those players have yielded. Then, do the same for the other 31 GMs in the league. I'd be happy simply comparing games played among the players...going so far as to look at stats for those players would be far too daunting a task. Maybe I'll try to look some of this up over Thanksgiving break.

But if you draft well and fill out your roster with draft picks, you lessen the need to fill out the roster with higher priced veteran filler...and this is what the giants have been forced to do of late and I think their record reflects that.

I'm pro-legalization.....but Will Hill fucked over the Giants, not the other way around.

Yeah, I guess, but we wouldn't be dealing with Stevie Brown's stellar play right now, picture that.

But then again, we don't play safeties on tight ends...we throw incredibly slow and unathletic linebackers on them. So Hill might not make much of a difference.

Yeah, I guess, but we wouldn't be dealing with Stevie Brown's stellar play right now, picture that.

But then again, we don't play safeties on tight ends...we throw incredibly slow and unathletic linebackers on them. So Hill might not make much of a difference.

It totally sucks. It's not like we have good defensive players on the team.....one of our best guys is a complete fucking moron, and basically smokes himself off the team. Typical of this season.

It totally sucks. It's not like we have good defensive players on the team.....one of our best guys is a complete fucking moron, and basically smokes himself off the team. Typical of this season.

Yeah there is a shortage of talent on the defensive side of the ball but even when the secondary was healthy and Beason was out there this season, they still sucked. A lot of that is on Fewell. A lot of that is on Coughlin/Fewell combo for not getting the most they can out of some of those guys and having a solid gameplan that forces another team to adjust instead of impose their will. Watching them try to tackle Marshawn Lynch was like watching 2 monkeys trying to fuck a football.

Just to muddy things up a bit... the Giants led the league with starter games lost to injury last year.

Also, 2013 saw them at the bottom, and they beat the next closest team by over 30 points.

That next closest team both years? The Indianapolis Colts. Who seem to be pretty good. How fucking great would that team be if they weren't so injured every year?

Oh my favorite debate two years running. I don't understand how people look at one of those three things and say thats the real problem and reason the team is struggling when it is all three at different levels.

Spags took over a unit that was ranked #26 in the NFL in 2006......got them to #7, and helped them beat Brady in 2007.

In 2008, the Giants lost Strahan to retirement....and then they lost their best pass rusher (Osi) for the year when he suffered a knee injury. Plus, they were dealing with the Super Bowl hangover.

Despite that, Spags improved the defense again, from #7 in 2007 to #5 in the NFL in 2008.

If not for Plaxico shooting himself, and the offense imploding down the stretch, Spags might have helped the team repeat in 2008.

A good coordinator can overcome alot......maybe not everything, but alot.

Spags took over a unit that was ranked #26 in the NFL in 2006......got them to #7, and helped them beat Brady in 2007.

In 2008, the Giants lost Strahan to retirement....and then they lost their best pass rusher (Osi) for the year when he suffered a knee injury. Plus, they were dealing with the Super Bowl hangover.

Despite that, Spags improved the defense again, from #7 in 2007 to #5 in the NFL in 2008.

If not for Plaxico shooting himself, and the offense imploding down the stretch, Spags might have helped the team repeat in 2008.

A good coordinator can overcome alot......maybe not everything, but alot.

Still to this day, I don't understand how they let losing him cause the team to fold. Yeah, he was a big part, but come on......