SportsWrath

Brett Jones

BleedinBlue

Good writeup today on Brett Jones in Inside Football:

Moving over to the offensive line drills, I wanted to see Canadian Football League import Brett Jones, who was signed by the Giants earlier in the offseason, in action.

Jones, 6-1, 316 lbs., is cerebral he doesn't make the same mistake twice.

And boy, does he have quickness. During the sled drills, he was the first one up and out of his stance, knocking into the sled with a forceful thump. When the offensive line was simulating snapping the ball and then stepping into their blocks, he was the first one up and out of his stance, and into the air in front of him that was his "man."

Other thing to note about Jones is that for as mild-mannered as he is off the field, he is a brute on it. You can see it in every drill he performs that he wants to dominate and is hungry to be the best.

So yes, that CFL Top Offensive Lineman of the Year award wasn't a fluke; Jones, based on today's work at least, very much appears to be the real deal in the making.

Where did they have him lining up...C or G?

Center. It went like this:

LT Flowers, LG Bamiro, C Jones, RG Hart, RT Donnelly

I think they lined Jones up a couple of times at guard as well, but since all the players were rookies and the regulars like Pugh, Richburg, Beatty, etc., weren't at the tryouts, they played with different formations.

If they keep Michael Bamiro and Sean Donnelly, this line will look huge. Bamiro is 6-8, 350. Donnelly is 6-8 300 (needs to add weight and muscle, but has great feet for a pass protecting tackle)...and of course, Flowers is 6-7 and Hart is 6-6. About a ton of muscle on the front line.

I actually like Bamiro a lot. The Eagles won a bidding war for him last year and he got in a few games and was rising, but because of injuries to the team, the Eagles had to make room. Bamiro had to clear waivers before they could put him on the practice squad and the Giants claimed him, pissing off Eagle's fans....not unlike how the Giants front office thought they could sneak Jake Ballard through the waiver wire to make room for some up and comers, and fucking Belichick claimed him - really pissed me off.

Bamiro and Hart are likely to replace Mosley and Herman (or maybe Jerry).

Was just thinking that if he showed enough promise, I'd like him to see the field come game day...but with Richburg at C, it'd be beneficial to see Jones get time at G.

I'm sure that will happen once the real camp opens for the regulars. Quinn will play with a variety of formations to find where each player best fits. I'd like to see Jones as a starting guard and backup center, but he might beat out Richburg for all we know and Richburg ends up as guard and backup center.

Regardless...the two-day tryouts was about finding a diamond in the rough out of about 60 guys trying to make the team in which there are very, very few spots. Those already signed (like Jones) are not going to be cut to make room for a DIII player that didn't get drafted, but looked good in the tryouts.

I'm sure that will happen once the real camp opens for the regulars. Quinn will play with a variety of formations to find where each player best fits. I'd like to see Jones as a starting guard and backup center, but he might beat out Richburg for all we know and Richburg ends up as guard and backup center.

Regardless...the two-day tryouts was about finding a diamond in the rough out of about 60 guys trying to make the team in which there are very, very few spots. Those already signed (like Jones) are not going to be cut to make room for a DIII player that didn't get drafted, but looked good in the tryouts.

Oh, I get that the signed players are likely going to camp. I was just more interested in where the team was starting Jones out at given (I think) this is the first time he's practiced with the team since signing.