SportsWrath

NY Giants are "in the mix" to get La'el Collins

BleedinBlue

I remember those days. What's your handle on BBI? I know Pdouble's over there (to be the best, you've got to beat the best!)

I'm not on BBI and don't belong to any other Giants websites but this one, just a few college thinktank types (Quora) and several political discussion websites.

I was watching an interview with a CFL player on a CBS sports link and he said that CFL players consider playing the game a "part time job" and they pretty much all have regular jobs on the side in order to pay the bills. I think a paltry 500-600k that a player gets as a UDFA in the NFL would be far superior to the CFL...not to mention, getting to play in the NFL and honing NFL skills.

I suspect that is why the top players in the CFL draft are trying out on teams like the Giants because a UDFA contract is far more lucrative than a full contract in the CFL.

Listen to the player discuss CFL from 4:07 to 4:45 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25115675/whoa-canada-examining-the-nfl-talent-pipeline-emerging-up-north), and you'll see why a player would prefer an NFL contract - LOL

hmmm, times have changed I guess. Back in the day there were a few middling NFL prospects who chased money in Canada.

hmmm, times have changed I guess. Back in the day there were a few middling NFL prospects who chased money in Canada.

Doug Flutie jumps to mind right off the bat. At 5'10", he was considered "too short" to play in the NFL....sort of a short version of Tim Tebow. However, he had quite a bit of success in the NFL.

Joe Theismann and Warren Moon also played in the CFL

Really interested in what was promised, it makes little sense for Collins. He signs a three year deal and gets to play backup for the best offensive line last year. How does that help Collins get a better contract down the road?

It makes good sense in that it's a very good team in win now mode, in a state with no income tax, state of the art facilities, an owner that will do what it takes to win, and a flagship team of the NFL that will get a lot of primetime exposure. Plus there is the whole Cowboy mystique and it's reasonably close to his home/family in Louisiana.

It makes good sense in that it's a very good team in win now mode, in a state with no income tax, state of the art facilities, an owner that will do what it takes to win, and a flagship team of the NFL that will get a lot of primetime exposure. Plus there is the whole Cowboy mystique and it's reasonably close to his home/family in Louisiana.

And there are more Cowboys fans in Louisiana than Saints fans.

We just got screwed. It's like the Cowboys got three first rounders this year with Collins, Gregory, and Byron Jones. I hope we beat their ass this year.

Gregory will probably be suspended for missing team meetings or getting arrested for drugs. He'll show up to practice stoned. He's nothing but trouble in the club house. He wouldn't last 5 seconds under TC when he walked into a meeting 20 minutes late, stoned, and incoherent.

Byron Jones was never projected as a first round pick. But he put on a show at the combine and could jump like a jack rabbit. He's a track star. Track stars don't always translate to football players. Real football players eat, drink, and sleep football and have natural instincts that make them great. Hell, half the great players in the NFL today couldn't come close to matching their combine results when they were in their early 20's, but they succeed because they are real football players and use their football brain to make plays. I thought it was a big stretch for them to take him in the first round and so did the analysts (not that that means anything). He's was one of those guys projected initially to go in the mid rounds until after the combine and the words, "He would be worth taking a flier on in the 2nd now". He played on an awful team (UConn) and had 3 interceptions as a CB. His stats aren't noteworthy, but his combine numbers were insane. Never seen a guy jump so high and jump so long. He could've been on the Olympic track team as a jumper.

Regardless - Collins will be the best player they got this year. Ideally, he cuts his teeth for the next two years getting the rookie and sophomore learning curve out of the way while learning by mistakes, come out as a free agent in 2 years and the Giants sign him off their squad as he prepares to enter his best years of his life as an NFL player.

Gregory will probably be suspended for missing team meetings or getting arrested for drugs. He'll show up to practice stoned. He's nothing but trouble in the club house. He wouldn't last 5 seconds under TC when he walked into a meeting 20 minutes late, stoned, and incoherent.

Byron Jones was never projected as a first round pick. But he put on a show at the combine and could jump like a jack rabbit. He's a track star. Track stars don't always translate to football players. Real football players eat, drink, and sleep football and have natural instincts that make them great. Hell, half the great players in the NFL today couldn't come close to matching their combine results when they were in their early 20's, but they succeed because they are real football players and use their football brain to make plays. I thought it was a big stretch for them to take him in the first round and so did the analysts (not that that means anything). He's was one of those guys projected initially to go in the mid rounds until after the combine and the words, "He would be worth taking a flier on in the 2nd now". He played on an awful team (UConn) and had 3 interceptions as a CB. His stats aren't noteworthy, but his combine numbers were insane. Never seen a guy jump so high and jump so long. He could've been on the Olympic track team as a jumper.

Regardless - Collins will be the best player they got this year. Ideally, he cuts his teeth for the next two years getting the rookie and sophomore learning curve out of the way while learning by mistakes, come out as a free agent in 2 years and the Giants sign him off their squad as he prepares to enter his best years of his life as an NFL player.

Obviously I hope that Gregory is a bust. But he does have great pass rushing skills and the Cowboys are going to get him in their program, get him a mentor and get him help with the substance abuse. He will have to want it. Time will tell, but you have to acknowledge that the Cowboys could just as easily turn Gregory's into a success story. I think he's going to have his problems but we will see.

As for Byron Jones, 2 INTs (in 2014) isn't bad for a corner and team that probably was getting run on a whole lot, particularly late in games as they were playing from behind so often, and on top of that he missed 5 games with a shoulder injury. So 2 INTs in 7 games. I think I had him as a first rounder (on the back end), but you can't ignore his insane athleticism as if it isn't a factor in terms of how it may translate to the field. The thing about Jones is he's a big corner with 4.3 speed. I think he's a player.

I think Gregory's problems are deeper than drugs. Some have said he has mental issues and uses dope to keep his head level. Whatever it is, he's got issues.

Talented athlete, yup

problem waiting to happen, f0b7609cb1bb382f12d43e048562dd94544005d1

Great move on the Cowboys part.

A great offensive line just got better, and the Cowboys are front runners until the Giants prove they can stay healthy, and got more talented.

Jerry Jones can close a deal.

Great move on the Cowboys part.

A great offensive line just got better, and the Cowboys are front runners until the Giants prove they can stay healthy, and got more talented.

Jerry Jones can close a deal.

that's because the geniuses in Reese and Coughlin value their 7th rounder so much...

We just got screwed. It's like the Cowboys got three first rounders this year with Collins, Gregory, and Byron Jones. I hope we beat their ass this year.

The Dallas Cowboys should change their name the the Dallas Convicts .

Jerry Jones must of seen the North Dallas 40 and said..... damn I can do that.

Not to mention 31 other teams passed on him the entire draft.

32 teams , Dallas Passed on him in the draft as well. He was signed as an UDFA