SportsWrath

NY Giants are "in the mix" to get La'el Collins

BleedinBlue

"The Giants are "in the mix" for the LSU offensive lineman that experienced an unprecedented free fall out of the 2015 NFL Draft, a person with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media". http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/05/giants_in_the_mix_for_lael_collins_after_he_goes_u.html

Giants' secret weapon? Odell Beckham Jr.

OBJ was a friend and teammate of Collins at LSU

----------------------

Wouldn't that be sweet.

He would probably be rotated in and out as a guard next to Collins this year, but within a year or two, the line would look something like this"

Flowers, Pugh, Richburg, Jones (Hart), Collins

All young, all growing up together. A decade of having a solid offensive line. With incredible flexibility as both Pugh and Hart have left tackle experience (and Pugh right tackle in the NFL), Jones can move to center if needed, Collins can play guard, etc.). Giants have always liked flexibility within the front line and knows how important it is for the linemen to know each other so well that they can work as a single unit.

----------------------

The more I read on Bobby Hart, the more I like. Big and strong - kind of a poor man's, younger version of Scherff (both played tackle, but better suited for guard in the NFL) and Hart's only 20 years old so he's green as grass. But he managed to protect Jameis Winston in a tough conference in a very high level program at FSU.

His size (6'5" 329 lbs - 33" arms / 10 1/8 hands) kind of mirror's Scherff (6'5" 319 lbs - 33 3/8" arms / 11 hands) and because of Scherff's short arms, is figured to be better set at guard.

Scherff is 3 years older than Hart.

Hart helped lead FSU to an ACC championship and BCS national championship in 2012 so knows what it is like to play in the highest of high pressure games.

When TC was asked why they drafted Hart, he said: big strong, athletic, offensive linemen are very hard to get into camp as an UDFA and the competition to get them is fierce. By drafting him, he has to come to camp. TC said Hart has a ton of upside and that he's so young that he can be molded however they want. Having played tackle at a high level at such a young age is a big plus.

Not knowing how close Collins is to OBJ, I don't think this is much of an advantage, if any. There are plenty of teams with LSU players. Cincinatti has Andrew Whitworth (10 year vet whose time at LSU didn't coincide with Collins, but is a fellow O-lineman), but also WR James Wright, LB Sam Montgomery and emerging star in his own right, RB Jeremy Hill.

The Bills have corner Ron Brooks and DT Kyle Williams. The Dolphins have WR Jarvis Landry and DT Anthony Johnson. The 49ers have S Eric Reid and DT Glenn Dorsey.

The Falcons just drafted Jalen Collins and have DE Tyson Jackson.

The Cardinals have honey badger Tyrann Mathieu, LB Kevin Minter, and All Pro CB Patrick Peterson.

I really could go on and on. ODB is a transcendental type of player that anyone would want to play with, sure. But Collins is going to want to choose a team that has a hole on the OL where starting is nearly guaranteed if he meets expectations, and more than likely, he is going to want to play OT right away. And with him already having to take a hit on salary, teams that play in a state with no state income tax will also likely have an advantage. That means Dolphins, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Texans, Seahawks, and Titans could be high on his list.

The Giants have Beatty, Pugh, and Flowers now competing for 2 tackle positions. Sure, the Giants could let him know that OT is a definite possibility down the line, but he would likely need to COMPETE to win time at OG this year.

I would love to have him, but I would say it's unlikely. They should've taken a chance and drafted him in the 6th or 7th round, IMO. With the "talent" they were getting in the back half of the draft, they could have gotten similar UDFA's to replace them.

Now, this is not to say we're not in the game, and every other team also has a low chance of getting him just because of the number of teams that are showing interest. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm just hoping he doesn't land with the Cowboys, Eagles, or Redskins.

Now, this is not to say we're not in the game, and every other team also has a low chance of getting him just because of the number of teams that are showing interest. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm just hoping he doesn't land with the Cowboys, Eagles, or Redskins.

Man- ain't that the truth. I was pissed when the Cowboys picked Gregory and was hoping some team like San Diego or Tennessee would draft him. Now I have to hope he screws up and ends up out of the NFL altogether.

Regardless, if Collins had absolutely nothing to do with his ex-girlfriend's death, he is going to be huge for some team. And you know he's going to be playing the crap out of the game looking for his big payday in 3 years. Talk about motivation.

The better question is why didn't the Giants draft him in the 7th or 6th?

Cause him and his agent have both publicly stated they would refuse to sign with a team outside of the first three rounds and would just re-opt for the draft in 2016.

Cause him and his agent have both publicly stated they would refuse to sign with a team outside of the first three rounds and would just re-opt for the draft in 2016.

yeah, and he needs to fire his agent because that was bad advice. Once a player is declared for the draft, if they go un-drafted, they cannot re-enter the draft. Only a drafted player may refuse to sign, sit out the season, and re-declare the following draft.

yeah, and he needs to fire his agent because that was bad advice. Once a player is declared for the draft, if they go un-drafted, they cannot re-enter the draft. Only a drafted player may refuse to sign, sit out the season, and re-declare the following draft.

Yeah don't know who his agent is but he's got to be one of the worst I've ever seen, outside of a player trying to represent themselves.

I wonder what Roger Goodell told all teams before the draft. That might have been a factor. Otherwise, it makes zero sense that no one took a shot on him in the 7th. Heck, I was thinking we should draft him with any of our picks left after we got Diggy-zoo. We obviously don't know everything that the teams knew.

I wonder what Roger Goodell told all teams before the draft. That might have been a factor. Otherwise, it makes zero sense that no one took a shot on him in the 7th. Heck, I was thinking we should draft him with any of our picks left after we got Diggy-zoo. We obviously don't know everything that the teams knew.

It would of just been a waste of the pick (granted most 7th rounders are) but why waste a pick on a guy who you know for a fact is just going to re-enter the draft, and get picked by another team the year after.

All of this of course assuming he's not charged with anything.

Maybe if Collins/ his agent made it known he would be happy with getting picked wherever, I'm sure some team would of used an extra pick on his in the final rounds of the draft, heck maybe some team would of grabbed him with a fourth.

It would of just been a waste of the pick (granted most 7th rounders are) but why waste a pick on a guy who you know for a fact is just going to re-enter the draft, and get picked by another team the year after.

All of this of course assuming he's not charged with anything.

Maybe if Collins/ his agent made it known he would be happy with getting picked wherever, I'm sure some team would of used an extra pick on his in the final rounds of the draft, heck maybe some team would of grabbed him with a fourth.

That is exactly what he should have done. Came off like a little bitch by whining about his draft position, that had to turn some teams off too.

That is exactly what he should have done. Came off like a little bitch by whining about his draft position, that had to turn some teams off too.

I know I've come off as an asshole in the other thread about Collins, and I mean this is my main problem with the whole situation.

I feel bad for the guy I really do, he works hard his whole life for something that got completely derailed by a woman's tragic murder, the he likely has nothing to do with (but who knows).

At the same time I guess what bothers me about the whole thing is Collins or his agent, probably both in all honesty have acted like nothing but a couple whiny children since the whole thing took place. Instead of taking the situation head and enjoying that fact that he STILL can play in the NFL and make a lot of money, just not the first couple of years, they have both just made the situation worse overall and possibly hampered his playing career further.

I'm guessing a 20 something took bad advice from a guy who was supposed to know what he was doing; his agent. Let's not condemn Collins. I doubt he had little to do with the decision.

It was a better deal for him. If he get drafted he locked in to a contract for 4 years. Undrafted UFA he will be able to hit the market after two.

We sure didnt mind when Eli whined like a bitch.....

The better question is why didn't the Giants draft him in the 7th or 6th?

That's an excellent question.....I wonder if his agent indicated he wouldn't sign for 7th round money.

If I was Collins, I would look into signing with the CFL. Make more money while waiting out the 2 years before he can sign a mega-contract with the NFL. The CFL draft is May 12th next week.

I think wants to be learning the NFL game as fast as he can. I hope we get this guy. Its shame if he innocent he lost out because an ex died . I would love to see him match up against HARDY who is the big reason for him not to get drafted.

It was a better deal for him. If he get drafted he locked in to a contract for 4 years. Undrafted UFA he will be able to hit the market after two.

We sure didnt mind when Eli whined like a bitch.....

maybe this changed with the new CBA, but UDFAs used to become exclusive rights free agents after a couple years. If that changed, yeah, this could work out for him.

Canada may be his best bet though. Go there for a couple years, then he's an unrestricted free agent for the NFL.