SportsWrath

The Canadian Pipeline - does this replace the old SU/BC Pipeline?

BleedinBlue

I'm amazed at the number of Canadians that the Giants have brought in this year ...is this the new pipeline for sleepers?

OC/OG Brett Jones - Canadian Football League (signed to 3-year contract with Giants)

OL Sukh Chungh - University of Calgary (invited to mini-camp tryout)

OL Sean McEwen - University of Calgary (invited to mini-camp tryout))

LB Byron Archambault - Université de Montréal (invited to mini-camp tryout)

-------------------------------------

Some interesting numbers and history on the linebacker above, and since his last name is hard to spell and pronounce, he probably has a shot at making the team. But his combine numbers are insane (assuming the CFL combine uses the same bench weight as the NFL combine- i.e., 225 pounds....maybe the metric version is less). {edit: upon further research, it is indeed 225 lbs}

Anyway, here's LB Byron Archambault's combine numbers:

Weigh in and vitals: 23 years old / 6 foot, 245 pounds

Combine results

41 reps in the bench press (states his personal best is 45)

40 yard time 4.83

Shuttle time 4.18

3 cone drill 7.16

vertical 32.5

broad jump 9' 3.5 inches

Unlike Brett Jones who won CFL Rookie of Year in 2013 and won Offensive Lineman of the Year honors in his second professional season, Archambault is just graduating from college and is a target of the CFL draft. While at college last year, his team won the Canadian college national championship and he was named "Defensive Player of the Year".

The CFL draft is May 12 this year and Sukh Chungh and Sean McEwen are both projected as 1st round picks (there are only 9 CFL teams so only 9 first round picks) and Archambault projected anywhere from a 1st to 3rd round pick.

I don't know the rules of the CFL, like whether or not if they get drafted, they must sign a contract or if the Giants sign one of these guys, they are taken out of the draft. It would be interesting to find out.

Regardless, Archambault looks like a big, mean, sumbitch

negatives: probably only speaks French {edit: saw an interview with him and he speaks English fine}

Byron_Archambault.jpg

Byron_Archambault_1.jpg

Giants have invited 3 more Canadians to mini camp for a tryout.

CB/FS Tevaughn Campbell (University of Regina, Saskatchewan)

WR Lemar Durant (Simon Fraser University)

DT Daryl Waud (University of Western Ontario)

-------------------------------------------

Daryl Waud (6'5" 298 lbs) is ranked as the 3rd best prospect in the upcoming CFL draft

Lemar Durant (6'2" - 231 lbs) fast, sure hands.

Tevaughn Campbell (6'0" 198 lbs) broke the all time (electronically clocked) Canadian combine record in the 40 yard dash with a 4.355 seconds run, followed by a run of 4.363 seconds. He has twice been electronically clocked breaking the 4.30 barrier with two runs of 4.29.

Tevaughn Campbell

Tevaughn_Campbell_3.jpg

Tevaughn_Campbell.jpg

Add another Canuck to the list - what's this make, 8?

WR Addison Richards 6-5, 220 pounds.

Don't know much about him, but he was one of only 2 Canadian football players to be invited to play in the East-West Shrine Game. The other was Daryl Waud, who is also attending the Giants mini-camp for a tryout.

1nko_O97l.jpg

CB/FS Tevaughn Campbell (University of Regina, Saskatchewan)

Tevaughn Campbell (6'0" 198 lbs) broke the all time (electronically clocked) Canadian combine record in the 40 yard dash with a 4.355 seconds run, followed by a run of 4.363 seconds. He has twice been electronically clocked breaking the 4.30 barrier with two runs of 4.29.

Tevaughn Campbell

Tevaughn_Campbell_3.jpg

Tevaughn_Campbell.jpg

Must have really shitty hands to run that fast and be a CB.

Hey, we're grabbing Canada's top picks at UDFA prices. If even one or two pan out, we just tapped completely unused resources, and got the jump on the rest of the league. I like it.

That's kinda why I asked the other day if there was a way to tell how many other teams are looking at the CFL or if we're the only one. I would like to know exactly how much of a jump we're getting on the rest of the league. In other words, how unused, really, is the CFL as a resource?

That's kinda why I asked the other day if there was a way to tell how many other teams are looking at the CFL or if we're the only one. I would like to know exactly how much of a jump we're getting on the rest of the league. In other words, how unused, really, is the CFL as a resource?

I've never heard of NFL scouts making it to Saskatchewan. East Coast schools like Laval probably get some looks.

I don't think any other team is scouting Canadian players like the Giants are. I believe the Colts and the Eagles have both brought in a Canadian player for a tryout. I didn't bother double checking, so I might be wrong. Seems the Ravens have also brought in a player, but I might be wrong.

But the Giants are bringing a whole lot of them in. I think that's a smart move. If a couple of them stick, you can bet the rest of the NFL will start adding resources to scout up north.

Right now, 4 of the top 10 players in Canada, including the no.1 potential pick overall are in town this weekend to try and get a USFA contract. Here's the top 10 (list made prior to 2014 season): http://cfl.ca/article/dunk-top-10-prospects-to-watch-for-in-2015-draft

Here's an article from CBS sports discussing why suddenly there is interest in Canadian football players and why there's been a lag in scouting them. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25115675/whoa-canada-examining-the-nfl-talent-pipeline-emerging-up-north

I also wonder if Brett Jones hasn't tipped the Giants off about an untapped resource.

There are 24 Canadians trying out (or already signed) for different teams this year. By far, the Giants lead the list in the number of players brought in. According to the Toronto Sun, "The likely reason why the Giants are so gung ho about Canadians is their assistant general manager, Kevin Abrams, hails from Toronto".

Two of the Canadian players (DT Daryl Waud and cornerback Tevaughn Campbell) will attend the Washington Redskins tryouts next week if they are not signed by the Giants first.

Here's the full story: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/08/cfl-teams-playing-waiting-game-with-top-prospects-at-nfl-camps

The complete list of Canadian players and what teams are working them out:

DT Christian Covington, Rice (1) Houston (drafted)

OL Brett Boyko, UNLV (2) Philadelphia (free agent contract)

OL Alex Mateas, Connecticut (3) NY Jets (tryout)

RB Tyler Varga, Yale (4) Indianapolis (free agent contract)

OL Danny Groulx, Laval (5) NY Giants (tryout)

OL Sukh Chungh, Calgary (6) NY Giants (tryout)

DT Daryl Waud, Western (7) NY Giants/Washington (tryout)

WR Lemar Durant, Simon Fraser (8) NY Giants (tryout)

WR Nic Demski, Manitoba (9) Cleveland (tryout)

OL Sean McEwen, Calgary (10) NY Giants (tryout)

DB Chris Ackie, Wilfrid Laurier (11) NY Giants (tryout)

WR Addison Richards, Regina (12) NY Giants (tryout)

OL Jacob Ruby, Richmond (13) NY Giants (tryout)

LB Byron Archambault, Montreal (14) NY Giants (tryout)

CB Tevaughn Campbell, Regina (15) NY Giants/Washington (tryout)

QB Brandon Bridge, South Alabama (19) Dallas (tryout)

DE Maxx Forde, Idaho Chicago (tryout)

LB Ron Omara, St. FX NY Giants (tryout)