SportsWrath

TE Jake Ballard Waived

Lughead

Guess his injury is a lot worse then some may have thought, I figured he would be back in time for the season.

So once again the Giants don't use TEs, we might as well just sign a couple extra O-line players and put them as TEs on the depth chart.

We got enough firepower at WR and RB.

Guess his injury is a lot worse then some may have thought, I figured he would be back in time for the season.

So once again the Giants don't use TEs, we might as well just sign a couple extra O-line players and put them as TEs on the depth chart.

We got enough firepower at WR and RB.

He had micro-fracture re-constructive knee surgery. There was no way he was even going to play at all this season. He was guaranteed to be placed on IR regardless.

The Giants use TE's, and they'll use them more if they are able to get open a lot more than Ballard was able to. Bennett and hopefully Robinson will do that.

I thought that the Giants would stick by Ballard given that he fucked his knee in the game and fucked in harder on the sideline trying to get back in the game. ... after all, the Giants have stuck by Chad Jones for all these years since he all but killed himself in the car accident...oh well...Ballard, like Jim said, wasn't playing this year anyhow...and even a mediocre TE should be able to do well given our WR and RB...though, those units took hits this offseason too.

Can't say Wilson is an upgrade over Jacobs or that Randel is an upgrade over Manningham....not yet anyhow.

I thought that the Giants would stick by Ballard given that he fucked his knee in the game and fucked in harder on the sideline trying to get back in the game. ... after all, the Giants have stuck by Chad Jones for all these years since he all but killed himself in the car accident...oh well...Ballard, like Jim said, wasn't playing this year anyhow...and even a mediocre TE should be able to do well given our WR and RB...though, those units took hits this offseason too.

Can't say Wilson is an upgrade over Jacobs or that Randel is an upgrade over Manningham....not yet anyhow.

Maybe next year he can come back.

I wish him well....guy made the most of his opportunity, that's for sho.

Good luck to him.

We don't need him at all though. Bennett is an upgrade in both blocking and receiving and Robinson is the "JPP of TEs" according to Mr. Jerry Reese".

Pascoe is a serviceable 3rd TE but I think Becky makes a fast comeback and makes the team over Pascoe or starts out on PUP. Becky came on solid down the stretch last year, he even looked mediocre as a blocker.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was waived but with the intention of bringing him into camp in 2013.

I was thinking the same thing. He's not going to be playing this year and no team is going to pick him up. If his rehab goes well and he's in good shape next summer, I have no doubt the Giants would give him another shot. He's only 24 years old and last year he was used sparingly and still wracked up over 600 yards receiving and 4 TD's....not to mention, he was superb as an extra lineman. I really hope he gets back to his old self. He's too young to retire from the game.

From the article on ESPN, it seems the intent is to re-sign him once he clears waivers and put him on IR. I really don't know much about the personnel rules..active roster, regular roster, training camp numbers, etc...but from the sounds of things, this is extremely procedural and that Ballard will be with the team next year...assuming he re-signs and isn't claimed off waivers, which probably won't happen given his injury.

From the article on ESPN, it seems the intent is to re-sign him once he clears waivers and put him on IR. I really don't know much about the personnel rules..active roster, regular roster, training camp numbers, etc...but from the sounds of things, this is extremely procedural and that Ballard will be with the team next year...assuming he re-signs and isn't claimed off waivers, which probably won't happen given his injury.

I don't understand all the rules, but I thought they could simply put him on IR without having to go through the waiver wire first. Weird rule. Anyway, I hope you are right because I think he's valuable....more so than Pascoe and certainly more so than Beckum. I have to believe Beckum has used up his chances to impress the coaches and can't see the team keeping him on as a "pass-catching only" TE, especially with Robinson getting that role.

From the interview I heard with Youngmisuk it sounded like they wanted to put him on the PUP list. Don't know why they have to go this way but it sounded highly unlikely that he won't clear waivers given his injury. He should be a Giant again soon.

(Unless the Patriots pick him up in spite or something.)

-Z

From the interview I heard with Youngmisuk it sounded like they wanted to put him on the PUP list. Don't know why they have to go this way but it sounded highly unlikely that he won't clear waivers given his injury. He should be a Giant again soon.

(Unless the Patriots pick him up in spite or something.)

-Z

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Intuuuuuurestings.

So much for thinking the Giants would just re-sign him easily.

did they have to waive him before they could resign him just to put him on the PUP list or could they ov just put him on the PUP list? does a player on the PUP list count against the roster?

This soooo pisses me off!!!!

One problem with the Giants’ plan to place injured tight end Jake Ballard on waivers and then put him on injured reserve and get him ready for 2013: It doesn’t work if another team claims him. And that’s exactly what happened today.

The Patriots, against whom Ballard was injured in the Super Bowl, have claimed Ballard. He is now a New England Patriot — even though, according to reporters on the scene, he’s actually in attendance at the Giants’ minicamp today.

Ballard, who had microfracture surgery in April, probably won’t play at all this season, and he becomes a restricted free agent after this season, which means the Patriots would only get him in 2013 if they can sign him to a new deal. And they have to count him toward their 90-man roster limit right now. So at first blush, it would seem that the Patriots just grabbed a player who can’t play for them anyway.

Then again, Ballard’s base salary is only $540,000, so it’s not particularly expensive to keep him around and see if he recovers more quickly than expected. And the Patriots can put him on either the physically unable to perform list or injured reserve before the regular season starts, and having him on the roster now means they have first crack at getting him to sign a new contract for 2013 and beyond.

So the Patriots just acquired a talented 24-year-old player and did so at a low price. A surprising deal, but not a bad deal.

did they have to waive him before they could resign him just to put him on the PUP list or could they ov just put him on the PUP list? does a player on the PUP list count against the roster?

Yeah I thought a player could be moved onto the PUP list at any time during the pre-season, no idea what the Giant's intentions were by waiving him first.

Maybe a financial thing?