SportsWrath

Welcome to the Giants

BlueInCanada

Not to mention, every single media/draft pundit were rating Jones above guys like Haskins before the draft.

Saying Jones had the best combine and workouts, and was nothing but impressive.

But after the Giants take him its "OMG WHY WOULD THEY PICK HIM THERE?!!??!?!"

but you know NFL is cyclical and it only takes one coach to see the corners cheating in and exploit that. Then everyone else copies. Well those with a decent QB anyway.

That's why NFL free safeties are now more important than strong safeties IMO.

These guys playing deep are that line of defence from those deep passes and so far teams with good ones don't have to worry about it.

Not to mention, every single media/draft pundit were rating Jones above guys like Haskins before the draft.

Saying Jones had the best combine and workouts, and was nothing but impressive.

But after the Giants take him its "OMG WHY WOULD THEY PICK HIM THERE?!!??!?!"

I guess I listen to the married ones.

I mean look at these articles quoting ESPN/scouts, etc.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/12/18300385/daniel-jones-nfl-draft-2019-duke-quarterback-projection-team

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/04/22/nfl-draft-ohio-state-dwayne-haskins-quarterback/3534041002/

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/dwayne-haskins-in-danger-of-falling-in-draft/490691

He has surely caught wind of the negative narrative: He started just one year for the Buckeyes; he doesn’t possess elite athleticism, like Kyler Murray, who is destined to be selected No. 1 overall on Thursday by Arizona; two other quarterbacks, Missouri’s Drew Lock and Duke’s Daniel Jones, have supposedly gained enough ground that they rate higher than Haskins on draft boards for some teams.

After speaking with a few different teams, I definitely get the feeling that Dwayne Haskins draft stock was more media created than team driven. I see Haskins falling on draft day and I think the chances are increasing that he is not the second QB off the board.

I just mean multiple sources have stated Jones and even Lock were grading high on teams draft boards, but yet suddenly when the Giants take one of them, it's a shit show because "it was a reach" or "WHY WOULD THEY TAKE A QB WEVE ONLY BEEN SAYING THEY SHOULD FOR THE LAST THREE MONTHS STRAIGHT?!??!?"

Personally, it seems to me that the type of passer throwing 6.2 air yards is the current trend in the NFL. Outside of the Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, Ben, and Rivers, there are a lot of teams employing a guy who gets the ball in the receivers hands faster. Tate and Shepard are those types of receivers, YAC guys. Going by my theory, Im wondering if the trend, personnel, and current offensive scheme dictated the Jones pick. I think even Eli has to play quick release, get the ball to the receiver to be successful right now because he has no touch anymore. Am I misunderstanding your statistics CD?

I misstated, I was looking at adjusted ypa, not air ypa.... and to top it off , I was looking at the wrong column..... 6.2 aypa is not last in the NFL, its 29th, tied with Blake Bortles.

So its still not good... but not as bad as I thought....

This QB draft was like 3 am at the bar and 3 drunk, ugly women are left. Giants maybe went home with the least disgusting... and approached her way too early...

The only thing I think about is, lets say they waited one more year for Herbert and Tuamania.

What if they finish with an 8-8 or 9-7 record? maybe better? They have a relatively weak schedule this year.

The Giants end up in the mid to late teens and they need to trade up to #1/#2 for either of these guys, what type of cost will it be? Multiple first and second round picks by any account.

Just to trade grab Eli they ended up trading a boat load of picks, imagine what it would cost to buy the throne from the king next year?

Also what if they end up in the top five? And they are sitting in a position where some team wants to grab their pick to grab one of these QBs next year, imagine the draft haul the Giants COULD GET for that spot and end up building off of it with Jones already on the bench waiting.

All hypothetical obviously but I mean thinking about it next year, the Giants put themselves in a position where they don't have to mortgage their future for Tua/Hebert or in a position where they could be getting a kings ransom of picks if they end up losing out the season again.

The only thing I think about is, lets say they waited one more year for Herbert and Tuamania.

What if they finish with an 8-8 or 9-7 record? maybe better? They have a relatively weak schedule this year.

The Giants end up in the mid to late teens and they need to trade up to #1/#2 for either of these guys, what type of cost will it be? Multiple first and second round picks by any account.

Just to trade grab Eli they ended up trading a boat load of picks, imagine what it would cost to buy the throne from the king next year?

Also what if they end up in the top five? And they are sitting in a position where some team wants to grab their pick to grab one of these QBs next year, imagine the draft haul the Giants COULD GET for that spot and end up building off of it with Jones already on the bench waiting.

All hypothetical obviously but I mean thinking about it next year, the Giants put themselves in a position where they don't have to mortgage their future for Tua/Hebert or in a position where they could be getting a kings ransom of picks if they end up losing out the season again.

If one of those players doesn't work out like RG3 then yeah, you're screwed.

If they do like Eli did, then 4 picks for two SB rings is an easy decision.

At the end of the day you need to say "is Daniel Jones a better player than Josh Allen (DE), Ed Oliver, etc." We'll find out, but I'd be stunned if it turns out to be the case.

If one of those players doesn't work out like RG3 then yeah, you're screwed.

If they do like Eli did, then 4 picks for two SB rings is an easy decision.

At the end of the day you need to say "is Daniel Jones a better player than Josh Allen (DE), Ed Oliver, etc." We'll find out, but I'd be stunned if it turns out to be the case.

But they didn't have to trade a bunch of picks for the QB they think was the right decision, he was right there. Even if they get the Jones pick wrong, it was only ONE pick to grab him.

Now they don't have to worry about putting this team up against the wall by trading a good number of high round picks for Tua/Hebert/Whoever if they end up picking later in the first round, next year and missing out on very valuable players in future drafts.

Let's not act like this team is in the same situation with Eli, where they had a good offence/defence and just needed a QB to bring it together.

They gutted the defence and are weak at Oline and WR, they need more than just a QB, they need to build the team around him first.

What he said plus I see us top 10 at the draft 2020.

Ok so we get to add a top 10 player to help build this team and make it better, or even get to trade away that pick and get more draft stock because some team wants one of these coveted QBs next year.

Good situation to be in I say.

I mean look at these articles quoting ESPN/scouts, etc.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/12/18300385/daniel-jones-nfl-draft-2019-duke-quarterback-projection-team

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/04/22/nfl-draft-ohio-state-dwayne-haskins-quarterback/3534041002/

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/dwayne-haskins-in-danger-of-falling-in-draft/490691

I just mean multiple sources have stated Jones and even Lock were grading high on teams draft boards, but yet suddenly when the Giants take one of them, it's a shit show because "it was a reach" or "WHY WOULD THEY TAKE A QB WEVE ONLY BEEN SAYING THEY SHOULD FOR THE LAST THREE MONTHS STRAIGHT?!??!?"

Lock was drafted in the 2nd round though... The truth is this years QBs are nothing to be excited about.

My point which youv managed to miss was... eh nvm youre smug.

No need to get your panties in a bunch, Nas.

I get your point, you think there wasnt a QB worth it in this class, yet you continue to defend a QB who fell into the late rounds saying "Oh it doesnt matter where he went or what people think, he has the talent"

Silly that you would get so pissy on the internet lol

3rd rounder in 2019 is not the same as a third rounder in 2018 based on overall grouping of talent at a given position.

So...you have to define what you want out of a first round pick in each position.

Most late round picks are there for a reason, that they don't have the skills or experience to be a day one starter.

A player who's taken in round three or four one year doesn't jump up to round one and two next year simply because of lack of talent at a position.

A players skill set and production determines where he gets drafted, and from time to time GM/team bias for the value of that player.

For me, it has to be year-one playing time/contribution. I would never pick a guy in the first round that would sit for two years before playing.

The exception being the QB position...unless it is a top 10 QB.

Top 10 QBs and all other 1st rounders should contribute on the field year 1.

Which...is why I still don't like the Jones pick at 6. At 17...to sit a year at QB. .I get it. But that high of a pick needs to contribute this year and to be honest, I am not confident Jones is anything more than a career backup.

Most late round picks are there for a reason, that they don't have the skills or experience to be a day one starter.

A player who's taken in round three or four one year doesn't jump up to round one and two next year simply because of lack of talent at a position.

A players skill set and production determines where he gets drafted, and from time to time GM/team bias for the value of that player.

We agree

For me, it has to be year-one playing time/contribution. I would never pick a guy in the first round that would sit for two years before playing.

The exception being the QB position...unless it is a top 10 QB.

Top 10 QBs and all other 1st rounders should contribute on the field year 1.

Which...is why I still don't like the Jones pick at 6. At 17...to sit a year at QB. .I get it. But that high of a pick needs to contribute this year and to be honest, I am not confident Jones is anything more than a career backup.

Yeah I see what you mean, a top 10 pick should at least be contributing day one at a high level.