SportsWrath

Giants linebackers looking to lead defense.

JMFP

Yeah the word dude was all a calculated between the lines personal vendetta stemming from some shit a long time ago I can barely remember. Even though noone else here ever saw the word as an insult, and the fact that I've twice explained my reason for posting it. Don't know how many more times I have to explain it, but twice should be more than enough. It was exactly as if I'd posted "whoa. I'm the one with the vendetta, not the guy who brings it up all the time. Not the guy who always insults me.

So don't worry, you don't have to find some other board.

I don't deserve the insults and won't walk on eggshells to not receive them. So I'll keep my thoughts to myself and you have your fun.

Seriously pdub. Why did you respond to my lengthy post with one word: "dude". What was your point? Was it because you disagreed? Was it because you agreed? Was it because you don't have a response, but felt the need to respond? Do you think it's cute? Did you think you were on the old board?

There must have been some reason you posted it. I really wish you would explain yourself. I've explained myself in depth.

Dude was meant as "slow your roll". It was meant that you're being overly optimistic, something that you've admitted to being at times. I don't think Pdub was calling anyone stupid when he said 'dude'.

Although, now that there has been a gross overreaction to his 'dude' comment...there might be thoughts of stupidity or at the very least, making something out of nothing.

Seriously pdub. Why did you respond to my lengthy post with one word: "dude". What was your point? Was it because you disagreed? Was it because you agreed? Was it because you don't have a response, but felt the need to respond? Do you think it's cute? Did you think you were on the old board?

There must have been some reason you posted it. I really wish you would explain yourself. I've explained myself in depth.

Seriously, I've explained it numerous times in this thread, but you refused to see it underneath your insults and perceived slighting.

Here:

interjection 5. (an expression of shock, approval, sympathy, or other strong feeling):

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dude

and then here:

Dude, as defined by the dictionary as an expression of shock.

me simply being shocked at the idea of an unproven fifth round pick being the best linebacker we've had in ages.

no anger. and no reason to insult me. but im getting used to that.

here is gmen who obviously saw my explanations and agreed with them.

Never saw or heard "Dude" as an insult.

Saw it as a statement of shock...as a response to the claim that Kennard could be the best LB we've had in ages. The player was drafted in the 5th round for a reason, and I have my doubts that his health was the only one.

Might he be a diamond in the rough, though? Sure. But he also might be a complete bust that never pans out. Fact is, none of us know. And that alone points to the 'best LB we've had in ages' comment as somewhat shocking.

oh and in case you missed all of those: there was this one also.

Dude is the new 21st century version of calling out someones manhood.

I already explained my use of the word dude with a definition of the word.

no need to repeat myself. didn't insult anyone, but was met with insults. as per the usual these days with bleedin.

expressing shock at a 5th round rookie being the best linebacker we've had "in ages", doesn't equate to thinking he's a bust, so no need to explain that further either.

using dude as an expression of shock is not an insult, but was met with insults, as usual.

Outside of this I'm done, I don't deserve the damn insults. It's not worth it, have fun.

Seriously, I've explained it numerous times in this thread, but you refused to see it underneath your insults and perceived slighting.

Here:

and then here:

here is gmen who obviously saw my explanations and agreed with them.

oh and in case you missed all of those: there was this one also.

Outside of this I'm done, I don't deserve the damn insults. It's not worth it, have fun.

Actually, all you've done is reposted your thoughts on what you think is the definition of a word that teenagers use. Everyone knows what the word means and it's the thing that cocky kids use when they think they're cool. You have not explained why you responded to my writeup on Kennard with a single word "dude". I do not need a lesson about your interpretation of the word or that you feel you are being insulted. When you respond with a condescending remark to an adult because you "disagree"...or "agree"....or "too busy to read the post and feel like saying the word"....or whatever.

Just asked you why that was your response. How do I figure out what you think about Kennard by saying something that a typical kid would say?

You shouldn't feel insulted, you should feel embarrassed if anything for bringing some of the childish shit from the old board to this board. Hopefully, in the future if you have a problem with someone's opinion, you'll man up and explain why you disagree with a thought out response (and I don't mean two pages later after you are forced to give a reply and you simply quote some other guy's post). Otherwise, it's just a condescending assholish response and all I've done is called you out for it.

Is it wrong that that was the first thought I had? Scary to think that this board can affect people.

This board's been getting really weird... I mean.. I'm asked to submit what my weirdest sexual fetishes are and god knows what else.. I mean can't a man just fuck an Asian so hard she'd have to lean against the wall all the way to the bathroom without having to disclose it lol

This board's been getting really weird... I mean.. I'm asked to submit what my weirdest sexual fetishes are and god knows what else.. I mean can't a man just fuck an Asian so hard she'd have to lean against the wall all the way to the bathroom without having to disclose it lol

But doesn't the weird factor increase by having to discuss it online with virtual strangers afterward?

You should tell your next conquest up front that the details of what's about to occur will be discussed on this message board. It might get her to do something bazaar, just to ratchet up the weird factor.

Bleedin' - you just have to get it out of your head that 'dude' was condescending, because it wasn't and isn't always as you seem to think. That's really the end of the story. And unless you're able to budge from that stance, multiple paragraph posts aren't going to change anything.

Good point.....what's happening to our country???

Bleedin' - you just have to get it out of your head that 'dude' was condescending, because it wasn't and isn't always as you seem to think. That's really the end of the story. And unless you're able to budge from that stance, multiple paragraph posts aren't going to change anything.

Like many words, it's the tone in which they are said and to who they are directed at. If you are sitting in a bar with friends and laughing, "dude" means one thing that is silly, but un-offensive. But like the Philly cop who slapped a wiseass kid for calling him "dude", it's condescending. And like the kids I closed the door in their face and let them walk - it was condescending or at the very least, an infantile way for teens to express their superiority complex to adults.

We're not sitting around laughing while half in the bag calling each other dude like we can't wait until we turn 16 so we can drive a car.

It's offensive to adults - while silly and playful to immature kids.

From what I've read, Coughlin and the front office are really impressed with this guy's football smarts. He's described as physical, but not especially fast.

Best case scenario is we can develop the guy to be similar to Antonio Pierce.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/devon_kennard_scouting_report_on_giants_newest_linebackerdefensive_end.html

From what I've read, Coughlin and the front office are really impressed with this guy's football smarts. He's described as physical, but not especially fast.

Best case scenario is we can develop the guy to be similar to Antonio Pierce.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/devon_kennard_scouting_report_on_giants_newest_linebackerdefensive_end.html

dude...

Good idea. Clearly not worth the effort. Bleedin's mind is made up that "dude" is an insult, and anyone who disagrees with him is not a grown man. So there it is.

Draft Steal or Just Another Guy: Devon Kennard Film Study

May 20 2014, 9:00a

It happens almost every year: The New York Giants draft a linebacker. But, rather than on the first or second days like Giants fans would prefer, they have drafted a number of linebackers on the third day of the draft. This year was no exception.

Devon Kennard was a five-star recruit coming out of high school, is coming off of a productive senior season (60 tackles, 13 for a loss, nine sacks, four passes defensed), and has been widely praised for his impressive intangibles.

Despite all this Kennard fell to the fifth round, 174th overall. His fall was largely due to injury concerns and less than impressive athleticism (though something of a "Tweener" status thanks to playing a variety of positions could have contributed as well).

Did the Giants get the five-star recruit, and a steal in the fifth? Or did they get a late-round JAG? Since we can't talk to him to verify the intangibles that his coaches and teammates rave about, let's go to the tape.

Run Defense

The first goal of the New York Giants' defense is to stop the run. By stopping the run they are trying to force offenses into passing situations and making them one-dimensional.

Play 1) 0:47 - 0:55

The play starts with Kennard lined up as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 front. He is lined up right on the line of scrimmage and is matched up on the tight end. At the snap the defensive end is pushed out of the play by the right tackle while Kennard takes on the tight end. He does a nice job of controlling the TE and getting off the block to make the tackle as the back comes near him. The back makes a nice gain, but that isn't on Kennard.

Play 2) 3:16 - 3:25

This time Kennard is on the left side of the offense, between the left tackle and the tight end. Unlike the last play, he is basically a stand-up defensive end in a four-man front.

At the snap Kennard does a fantastic job of reading the play and scraping across to the other side to make a play on the running back. However, we see Kennard's relatively pedestrian athleticism when the left guard gets in his way just enough to keep him from catching the running back. It doesn't help that the other "defensive end" ran past the play on his rush. and the linebackers dropped back into coverage rather than coming up to fill the gaping hole the offensive line opens up. But ultimately this play is a mixed bag for Kennard. On one hand it showed his intelligence and instincts, but on the other it exposed his (relatively) pedestrian athleticism.

Pass Coverage

In the modern NFL offensive coordinators are attacking the middle of the field in a variety of ways. Passes to slot receivers, running backs, full backs, traditional tight ends, and the emerging class of hybrid tight ends all have to be defended against. With coverage needs at an all-time high, defenses are relying on extra defensive backs to protect the middle of the field. If a linebacker wants to be a full-time player, he has to be able to cover.

Play 1) 4:31 - 4:39

For this play Kennard lines up as an outside linebacker in a three-man front across from the tight end. The tight end initially appears to be blocking, but cuts inside to receive a quick pass from the QB. Kennard does a nice job of sticking with the tight end through the whole play. It looks like Oregon St. might have been setting up a tight end screen, but Kennard knocked the ball away before the play had a chance.

Play 2) 8:32 - 8:43

This time Kennard is lined up as a stand-up defensive end in a four-man front. He initially rushes the quarterback, but recognizes the quick pass to the receiver and breaks off his rush to help tackle the receiver before he can do any damage. This play isn't about Kennard's coverage so much as his instincts, awareness, and ability to process and act on information quickly.

Pass Rush

This was the area of weakness for the Giants' defense in 2013. While a return to health for their best pass rushers should certainly help matters, having a capable blitzing linebacker would be a welcome addition. Kennard had a few pass-rushing "wins", but the Oregon St. scheme had the ball out of the quarterback's hands before the rushers could get there. He did, however, get to the QB twice, so I want to take a look at how.

Play 1) 1:49 - 2:00

Once again we see Kennard lined up wide of the left tackle as a stand-up defensive end in a four man front. At the snap he gets blocked by the left tackle and chipped by the tight end. He uses a very nice inside spin move to slip off the chip block and between the left tackle and left guard. Finally (and it's tough to see at full speed), the left guard gets an arm around Kennard, and he has to power through that to get the quarterback on the ground.

Play 2) 5:33 - 5:42

For the final play we'll be looking at, Kennard is once again lined up wide of the left tackle as a stand up defensive end in a four-man front. He does a great job of setting up then beating the tackle on this play. At the snap Kennard takes a quick step toward the hash mark, setting the tackle up to block against an outside rush. However as the tackle starts to widen his slide, he makes a quick move inside to shoot the gap between the left guard and left tackle, and he gets the sack.

Final Thoughts

So, what kind of linebacker did the Giants get? Looking at this tape, they got an intelligent, instinctive, high-effort linebacker who can have an impact in run defense, pass coverage, and rushing the passer. He isn't a spectacular athlete, and that gets exposed at times. Within his range, however, he is certainly effective.

There's also the question about where he will play. At USC, Kennard played middle linebacker and defensive end, while in a 3-4 defense in 2013 he played outside linebacker. To my eye, he looks like an outside linebacker in Perry Fewell's 4-3 defense. However, it's possible that he could provide depth inside, or possibly even move inside in nickel packages.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SolidEmbellishedCheetah.gif

Giants Select OLB Devon Kennard

With the No. 174 pick of the NFL Draft, the Giants selected outside linebacker Devon Kennard out of USC.

Kennard, who is 6-foot-3 and 249 pounds, played defensive end, middle linebacker and outside linebacker during his career at USC. The 22-year-old was named to the All-Pac 12 second team after he led the team with nine sacks over the course of 14 starts at outside linebacker. During his final season with the Trojans, he was a captain and had the highest GPA on the team. He redshirted during the 2012 season after he tore his pectoral muscle in July. He also had surgery after the 2010 season for torn cartilage in his hip. He played in only three games as a senior in high school before he tore knee ligaments.

Kennard’s father was an offensive lineman for the Cardinals, Saints and the Cowboys over the course of 11 seasons, and won Super Bowl XXX with the Cowboys.

Scouts have said that Kennard is a good tackler with versatility who plays tough.

Kennard - finalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy

USC Linebacker – Senior – 6’ 3” – 260lbs – Phoenix, AZ

Few numbers in sports are more revered than No. 42.

Devon Kennard Finalist Badge

In football, the No. 42 is held to the highest of standards at USC where the great All-American Ronnie Lott wore the number proudly and magnificently during his Trojan career.

So it comes as no surprise that the current No. 42 at USC exemplifies much of the attributes that Lott stands for. His name is Devon Kennard and he is the first Trojan to be a finalist for the award named after the most famous of USC 42s – The Lott IMPACT Trophy. Kennard is everything the Lott IMPACT Trophy stands for: An honor student in the class- room, a volunteer in the community and a force on the football field.

Let’s look at his IMPACT resume:

Integrity: He's visited kids with cancer in the hospital, fed the homeless on skid row and made a mission trip to Haiti.

Maturity: Has served as team captain for the Trojans. "He's almost like a coach on the field right now for us," says USC interim head coach Ed Orgeron.

Performance: He's recorded 48 tackles this year, eight sacks, 9.5 tackles for loss, had a fumble recovery, eight quarterback hurries and four passes broken up. He was a mid-season All Pac-12 selection. In USC's big win over Oregon State in Corvallis, Kennard recorded the only two sacks the Trojan defense had all night.

Academics: He graduated in three years with a 3.23 grade point average, is now in the Masters program with a thesis on college recruiting and twice has been on the Pac-12 All-Academic team.

Community: Visited kids facing cancer at the children's hospital in Los Angeles for the entire 2012 season while he was out with an injury.

Tenacity: Came back from a torn chest muscle injury that sidelined him for all of 2012. John Mosbach, the USC Assistant Athletic Director has this to say about Devon: "Most important to me above all else is Devon's character. He always has been a pleasure to work with in every situation. His demeanor and study habits are second to none. Because of this Devon has earned the respect of teammates, coaches, professors, and others. He has been a great leader for not only the football team and other student athletes, but all students on campus."

Kennard has worked with Power Direct Energy and that company's Chief Operating Officer Stuart Hayden says: "His business plan he developed is a comprehensive approach for setting up a charitable foundation to assist underprivileged youth through summer football camps."

Kennard is 6-3, 255-pounder from Phoenix who has the DNA to continue playing on Sundays. His father, Derek, had an 11-year NFL career following an All-American career as an offensive lineman at Nevada.

Devon Kennard, No. 42. Fitting.

So, what kind of linebacker did the Giants get? Looking at this tape, they got an intelligent, instinctive, high-effort linebacker who can have an impact in run defense, pass coverage, and rushing the passer. He isn't a spectacular athlete, and that gets exposed at times. Within his range, however, he is certainly effective.

This is why I think in a best case scenario he might be a player in the mold of Antonio Pierce. The question is whether his intelligence and instincts will be held back by his lack of athleticism.

Still though, Reese has drafted a ton of guys who are athletes, who have sucked. It's sort of refreshing to take a chance on a guy who clearly understands the game.

Blackburn had pedestrian speed, and the Giants won 2 Super Bowls with him on the team. Even when AP was a younger player, he never had top shelf athletic skill.

So much of the game is knowing what to do.

Like many words, it's the tone in which they are said and to who they are directed at. If you are sitting in a bar with friends and laughing, "dude" means one thing that is silly, but un-offensive. But like the Philly cop who slapped a wiseass kid for calling him "dude", it's condescending. And like the kids I closed the door in their face and let them walk - it was condescending or at the very least, an infantile way for teens to express their superiority complex to adults.

We're not sitting around laughing while half in the bag calling each other dude like we can't wait until we turn 16 so we can drive a car.

It's offensive to adults - while silly and playful to immature kids.

So wait...you criticize Pdub's response as being limited, short, lacking in elaboration, and needing explanation...yet, you assume you know the tone, the inflection, the body language that may have accompanied the comment? The word could've been easily replaced with, 'Really? You really think that? I think that's going a bit far" and meant the exact same thing as "Dude?"

It's clear to everyone here, and should be too to you, that there is a huge overreaction here. To assume someone thinks themself better than you by their usage of the word 'dude' is no different than your thinking that you're better than someone who might utter the word 'dude' from time to time.

Bleedin,

I pray you're so right about this guy... and I do think our LB corp will be even better in 2014 now that the beast has one year under his belt already.

Sincerely,

Dude