SportsWrath

This team needed more

xxi-xxv

I think its clear that this team was way too reliant of the 4some of beltran, reyes, wright and delgado. It was discussed ad naseum all off season how this team needed more than just this to compete. Some were convinced that they could survive with the Tatis', Murphys', Pagans' and Churchs' of the world, while some felt that this team needed reinforcements and that none of the aforementioned should be relied upon that much. Where you as a fan fell is irrelevant, facts are facts, they needed more.

What most Met fans should realize now is that this franchise is an absolute joke top to bottom. The Wilpons want to hide the fact they are cash strapped(not their fault), Omar is an absolute abomination as a GM aside from when it comes to outspending others and Tony Bernazard is a complete joke, both as a human being and with the minor league system he is in charge of, that of which his AA and AAA squads are a combined 70 games under .500 and have produced such little reinforcements to the big league clubs the 150 million dollar Mets employ the likes if Angel Berroa, Argenis Reyes, Cory Sullivan and Elmer Dessens.

Its a shame, but this is what our team is. Hopefully at some point they get it right, recent Wilpon history tells us no and now they have no cash to bail themselves out.

I think its clear that this team was way too reliant of the 4some of beltran, reyes, wright and delgado. It was discussed ad naseum all off season how this team needed more than just this to compete. Some were convinced that they could survive with the Tatis', Murphys', Pagans' and Churchs' of the world, while some felt that this team needed reinforcements and that none of the aforementioned should be relied upon that much. Where you as a fan fell is irrelevant, facts are facts, they needed more.

What most Met fans should realize now is that this franchise is an absolute joke top to bottom. The Wilpons want to hide the fact they are cash strapped(not their fault), Omar is an absolute abomination as a GM aside from when it comes to outspending others and Tony Bernazard is a complete joke, both as a human being and with the minor league system he is in charge of, that of which his AA and AAA squads are a combined 70 games under .500 and have produced such little reinforcements to the big league clubs the 150 million dollar Mets employ the likes if Angel Berroa, Argenis Reyes, Cory Sullivan and Elmer Dessens.

Its a shame, but this is what our team is. Hopefully at some point they get it right, recent Wilpon history tells us no and now they have no cash to bail themselves out.

I wanted Orlando Hudson and Lowe. Even if we made those acquisitions, this team would still not be in first place, but I bet they would be at least a few games closer than 10 games back.

I wanted Orlando Hudson and Lowe. Even if we made those acquisitions, this team would still not be in first place, but I bet they would be at least a few games closer than 10 games back.

Hudson was not in the cards because of Omars awful signing of Castillo, who honestly has been pretty good and if all things are equal would have been a help this year. I wanted Lowe over Perez as well, but he has not been great either, certainly better than Ollie, but a case can be made that shitty Tim Redding has been better or at least as good as Ollie.

This team needed another consistent run producer to bat behind Wright and Delgado and Beltran. Bobby Abreu IMO was the obvious choice, would have taken pitches, get on base, steal bases and drive in runs. In all honesty if you told me we could have gotten Franceour like we did as a right handed bat and put Abreu in left I would be fine with that. His line drive swing may have worked well in the cavern that is CitiField.

Nonetheless the situation is very bleak. Decisons have to be made as to what this team needs to do to get better. The Carlos' are not getting any younger and with the lack of infusion of anything earth shattering from the minors one has to wonder if its time to start dealing some tradeable chips who may be on the decline when this team starts to compete again, hopefully in 2010. I must say I do like what I have seen in Niese and Parnell, so there is hope.

I think Ibanez would have been realistic had we not had the false sense of comfort in Murphy playing LF.

Him going to the Phils was a huge shift in the balance of power. We've been in a year long platoon in left while the Phillies might have the league's MVP there.

I think Ibanez would have been realistic had we not had the false sense of comfort in Murphy playing LF.

Him going to the Phils was a huge shift in the balance of power. We've been in a year long platoon in left while the Phillies might have the league's MVP there.

GAteB a case can be made that we have not had a legitimate run producing corner outfielder since Bernard Gilkey in 1996. When we had a catcher and 2nd basemen that put up 30 100 and 100 we could compensate for the lousy corner spots. We do not have that anymore. The neglect of the corner OF spots goes back to the Philips days, only then it was made up for elsewhere in spots that usually did not produce those numbers. I overesitimated Murphy as well, I think his lack of defense hurt him offensively if that makes sense. I know he can hit.

Bottom line is the Phillies are much better, have been for a while. Now, with our 100% healthy team minus Delgado we were 28-21 and 1.5 games ahead in the division, so I suspect we would have competed with them had things remained equal, but ultimately they are better, have been for a while.

GAteB a case can be made that we have not had a legitimate run producing corner outfielder since Bernard Gilkey in 1996. When we had a catcher and 2nd basemen that put up 30 100 and 100 we could compensate for the lousy corner spots. We do not have that anymore. The neglect of the corner OF spots goes back to the Philips days, only then it was made up for elsewhere in spots that usually did not produce those numbers. I overesitimated Murphy as well, I think his lack of defense hurt him offensively if that makes sense. I know he can hit.

Bottom line is the Phillies are much better, have been for a while. Now, with our 100% healthy team minus Delgado we were 28-21 and 1.5 games ahead in the division, so I suspect we would have competed with them had things remained equal, but ultimately they are better, have been for a while.

Jason Bay could provide some stability in the corner outfield spot. I'm not sure what his asking price will be and I have a feeling Boston will overwhelm him before he can hit the market. But he'd be the most reasonable fit.

Dude, Albert Pujols is having one of the most amazing seasons I've EVER seen. What he did in the first half of the season was ridiculous; and he did it in a lineup that was definitely worse than the Phillies. He's easily the MVP.

Dude, Albert Pujols is having one of the most amazing seasons I've EVER seen. What he did in the first half of the season was ridiculous; and he did it in a lineup that was definitely worse than the Phillies. He's easily the MVP.

That's not the argument. Can you deny Ibanez will easily be in the top 5 for MVP voting by the end of the year? We could have had that on our team, but that went to our biggest rival.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank God it's football season. These Mets suck so damn much it's embarrassing. The fucking Wilpons better make a huge investment in this team for 2009.

I don't know if I could ever fully get there, but this team is so bad it is actually making me feel like I did with the Knicks when I finally had to just let them go, they were just to painful to watch for too long, until the pain finally turned into indifference for them and I just had to let them go. I still want the Knicks to be great again.... but I have nothing emotionally invested in that team anymore... and that is what is happening for me with the Mets.

I'm done being embarrassed. We're a mess right now but I love this team too much to stop watching. Not that I expect them to win the wild-card or anything but there aren't many teams that would have success with the injuries we've had. I know it may sound like an excuse but I've NEVER seen anything like this. Perfect example from tonight; Castillo sprains his ankle after slipping on the dugout steps. Seriously?

I'm done being embarrassed. We're a mess right now but I love this team too much to stop watching. Not that I expect them to win the wild-card or anything but there aren't many teams that would have success with the injuries we've had. I know it may sound like an excuse but I've NEVER seen anything like this. Perfect example from tonight; Castillo sprains his ankle after slipping on the dugout steps. Seriously?

Yeah, but we've talked about the lack of "gamers" here before. The fact that there aren't many grinders on this team. I think some players on this team have already quit. You have John Maine unwilling to pitch with a little discomfort. The Carlos' are in no rush to get back and help the team, and neither is Reyes. How many times did we hear that we should be getting these guys back by August 1st, or right after the All Star break? That didn't happen, and I have to wonder why. Are they that slow to heal? Or is something else going on. Could it be that they aren't serious about getting back to this mess of a team?

Yeah, but we've talked about the lack of "gamers" here before. The fact that there aren't many grinders on this team. I think some players on this team have already quit. You have John Maine unwilling to pitch with a little discomfort. The Carlos' are in no rush to get back and help the team, and neither is Reyes. How many times did we hear that we should be getting these guys back by August 1st, or right after the All Star break? That didn't happen, and I have to wonder why. Are they that slow to heal? Or is something else going on. Could it be that they aren't serious about getting back to this mess of a team?

Beltran and Delgado have both been doing defensive drills and Beltran has been taking batting practice

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5873561

and I read earlier that Delgado was in the cage yesterday for the first time since his injury. Reyes had to fly back to NY today and he's probably going to be shut down http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/reyes-might-be-out-for-the-season-pending-tests-1.1349015

Honestly , at this point I wouldn't be mad if we shut all three of them down.

Bring up some of our young guys. F-Mart after he comes back from the DL (lol), Evans and shit if Josh Thole and Ike Davis keep playing well in AA I wouldn't be mad if we called them up in September. The season's lost, fuck it.

Thank God it's football season. These Mets suck so damn much it's embarrassing. The fucking Wilpons better make a huge investment in this team for 2009.

I don't know if I could ever fully get there, but this team is so bad it is actually making me feel like I did with the Knicks when I finally had to just let them go, they were just to painful to watch for too long, until the pain finally turned into indifference for them and I just had to let them go. I still want the Knicks to be great again.... but I have nothing emotionally invested in that team anymore... and that is what is happening for me with the Mets.

I think the House of Wilpon is suffering badly from the Bernie Maddoff implosion....cash strapped and short of easily transferable assets. I think we will be looking at the NY Pirates soon.