SportsWrath

Time to revive this page

Allstarjim

With the Mets in the thick of the division race here in August(!), and after finally doing SOMETHING to put a major league lineup together, we can now actually be excited as a Mets' fan!

Duda... 8 homeruns in the last 7 games! That is just unreal. I don't know how the guy just turns it on like that after going through so much of the season slumping. During his slump, it was just obvious that he would let pitchers get him in a pitchers account, then swing at 0-2, 1-2 off-speed stuff low and away that he couldn't get to. Now, he's attacking those meatballs in the middle of the plate that he was previously just watching go by. It's nice to see him get after it and hit the ball instead of trying to work the count every time.

Really happy about the Cespedes acquisition. The way this lineup is now constructed, there is plenty of power there, something we really lacked. It helps that Granderson is hitting, and Flores is getting back into the groove, and now d'Arnaud is back. I think d'Arnaud could really be the key to this lineup as we head down the stretch. I still think he can be the best hitter on this team.

But the domination of deGrom and Syndergaard, this early, so great to see, and Harvey is getting right also... what a trio. Looking forward to Matz coming back, too. Not to be overlooked has been the performance of Jon Niese, who, although not as dominant as the guys at the top, has really come on and pitched very well. This team, if it makes it to the playoffs, is going to be a tough out because of starting pitching.

Now, if David Wright comes back this season and hits... you can really have a dangerous lineup.

So tonight I will be watching for the Mets to grab a share of 1st place with Noah on the mound! LGM!

Yes, this is going to be an exciting race! As an aside, I am going to see deGrom and Syndergaard Friday and Saturday night, respectively at Tropicana Field vs the Rays this weekend! Going to be awesome!

First place! Can you tell I have pennant fever? I am making Thor hammers this week!

Now in sole possession of first place; hats off to Michael Conforto with his first big league home run (and first of many in a Met uniform, I hope).

It's great when we win Colon's starts, because you know the big 3 is coming soon after. If Niese wins tomorrow, then we could go on a nice little win-streak.

• 3 weeks later...

6.5 games in front of Washington and I still cannot get excited. Memories of their collapses just keep keep me at bay. I can still see Beltran wiffing. I still remember the Phillies mocking us. I just can't get over it. Baseball just hasn't been the same since for me. Terrible times.

Yeah I can understand that. But this team has stepped up so many times in the past month, when chips were down. Just like last night. The situational hitting, the clutch performances out of the pen. Everyone was in a panic about Familia a month ago but he has gone right back to being dominant.

Last night they scored the most runs in a 7 game stretch than they have in franchise history. They also have hit the most homeruns this month in franchise history. The bats are finally here, Wright is back and appears to have brought a hot bat with him... Cuddyer is hitting again, Yoenis has been everything the Mets thought and more. This team right now is a team without weaknesses. Hopefully they can keep this up. But 6.5 up feels pretty good on August 28th. Magic number is now 29! #LGM

6.5 games in front of Washington and I still cannot get excited. Memories of their collapses just keep keep me at bay. I can still see Beltran wiffing. I still remember the Phillies mocking us. I just can't get over it. Baseball just hasn't been the same since for me. Terrible times.

Don't miss this ride because of the past.... time to jump on and enjoy this! This is a different team!

If Giants get in, Pittsburgh is the team I'd least want to face. I think they are best in the league. Hard for me to say because I dislike Hurdle. Shame they most likely could get eliminated by Cubbies in 1 game. Second least is Mets

If Giants get in, Pittsburgh is the team I'd least want to face. I think they are best in the league. Hard for me to say because I dislike Hurdle. Shame they most likely could get eliminated by Cubbies in 1 game. Second least is Mets

Surprised that it's not the Cardinals with all their pitching.

• 2 weeks later...

The bats have been quiet for a few games and the bullpen has been problematic. The Mets need to win in spite of pitching right now. Very tough for Collins & Alderson to manage the rotation, with an eye on clinching, while trying to limit the innings of 3 of the best starters on the team, but they have to do it. They are going to need other guys to step up and win games. The Nationals look like they have that "refuse to lose" mentality right now and if the Mets really hit the skids here then that last series of the season, Oct 2nd-4th vs the Nationals could get way too interesting for my liking. I'd like the Mets to clinch beforehand and not have to worry about that series.