SportsWrath

R.A.

Lughead

wow in the last 9 games he has played his ERA is .029....WOW

He is a marvel right now. He really only had that one bad start, in the rain in Atlanta. Other than that he's been dominating. And he's not walking people, either, amazing for a knuckler. He only has 5 walks in his past 6 starts. If he keeps this up, he should be in contention for the Cy. Tied for the league lead in wins with 9 (Lance Lynn of St. Louis). 8th in the NL in ERA at 2.44, 9th in WHIP at 1.04, 6th in strikeouts (!) with 78, 4th in innings pitched with 81. And what's really amazing is that Johan has a slightly lower ERA and WHIP but only has a record of 3-2. Just shows you the support Johan has gotten this year (and his career with the Mets) compared to Dickey.

He is a marvel right now. He really only had that one bad start, in the rain in Atlanta. Other than that he's been dominating. And he's not walking people, either, amazing for a knuckler. He only has 5 walks in his past 6 starts. If he keeps this up, he should be in contention for the Cy. Tied for the league lead in wins with 9 (Lance Lynn of St. Louis). 8th in the NL in ERA at 2.44, 9th in WHIP at 1.04, 6th in strikeouts (!) with 78, 4th in innings pitched with 81. And what's really amazing is that Johan has a slightly lower ERA and WHIP but only has a record of 3-2. Just shows you the support Johan has gotten this year (and his career with the Mets) compared to Dickey.

I don't know about you Jim but if I can get our no hitter and a 20 game winner and possible Cy Young contender out of this season I will be more than satisfied. R.A. has been through a lot and in a time where it seems anyone with a pulse and a live arm can make a few million bucks in baseball, the man has earned his keep. He's extremely humble,intelligent and has a blue collar appeal you rarely see anymore.

I don't know about you Jim but if I can get our no hitter and a 20 game winner and possible Cy Young contender out of this season I will be more than satisfied. R.A. has been through a lot and in a time where it seems anyone with a pulse and a live arm can make a few million bucks in baseball, the man has earned his keep. He's extremely humble,intelligent and has a blue collar appeal you rarely see anymore.

Yeah man, both R.A. and Santana are easy guys to root for. R.A.'s story is particularly inspirational, and he keeps getting better, which is amazing. I'm not counting on 20 wins, certainly he can do it, but that's a tall order for anyone. If we get that out of him it would be great. But like you, I'm not having pie in the sky expectations right now. Want to see the young guys develop this year. Hopefully Niewenhuis gets a little more disciplined at the plate. I love his game, and would like to see Davis get back on track as well as Duda continue to provide timely hitting and power. They have a good group of young players and they are setting themselves up for something special in the years ahead. I'm happy to be a Mets' fan again, but you're right, the expectations for this year are to just enjoy this, fun watching R.A. and Santana. Already getting to see a Mets' no-hitter this year.... wow, everything else is just gravy!

I went to the game last night at the Trop... first two games of the series, but not going back today to see Santana vs Hellickson.

I am still pissed I didn't get a chance to see history because David Wright's continual habit of trying to be more flash than fundamental on defense. Don't get me wrong, I still like David Wright, he's the best hitter on the Mets and has really cut down his strike outs. But he continues to throw sidearm to first and 2nd base at times and it has resulted in wild throws. And it has cost the Mets ball games.

Last night he went for a bare hand play on a bouncing ball that met him right about at the bag. Should've used his glove, and both Keith Hernandez and Eric Byrnes of MLB Network thought that if he used his glove he would've had time to throw out B.J. Upton. I realize a guy with speed like Upton puts extra pressure on a defense, but he also didn't get a good break out of the box, and the ball wasn't a dribbler, wasn't a high chop, it was a fairly routine ground ball to third, and he screwed the pooch by not using his glove. Would it have been a close play? Yes, but not as close (I don't think) as some would believe. I think he would've had Upton by a full step had he made a quick exchange and a strong, accurate throw to first. The other part of that play was the official scorer, Bill Mathews, is a Rays' homer and is seemingly unable to separate his homerism from scoring a game in an unbiased way. Two nights I went, and both nights Mathews showed multiple occasions of questionable scoring, all in the Rays' favor. He is loathe to charge an error to a Rays' player even if it should be, and at the same time, will not take away a hit from a Rays' player either when a strong case can be made for an error on the opponent, as was the case with the Wright play.

So thank you David, for screwing R.A. Dickey over (AND ME) last night because you want to be a hotshot out there. And he wasn't done there. Because in the 9th, David gets another routine ground ball with plenty of time to make an accurate throw to first, and sails it away and over the head of Davis, who has to come off the bag and make a leaping catch to keep it from getting by him. And because of that, and 2 passed balls later, R.A. Dickey's scoreless innings record is abbreviated when a ground ball out to short brings that run in... also costing R.A. the shutout.

It's a good thing Dickey broke Koosman's record before Wright screwed it up for him. So last night, Wright managed to fuck Dickey out of a perfect game, a chance to further the scoreless innings record, AND a shut out all in one night. Congratulations. ASSHOLE. And no, I wouldn't be quite this upset if I wasn't in attendance and had the chance to watch history.

Dickey was incredible. He was actually more dominant last night than Santana was on his no-hitter. Dickey obviously didn't walk a batter, but more than that, the Rays couldn't get good contact at all against Dickey. I think Matsui was the only guy to really hit a ball hard in fair territory in the 9th inning, a warning track out to Hairston in right. Fun performance to watch, and Dickey also had a career high 12 K's, not only was he making the hitters look silly he was also making Nickeas look silly too, because Nickeas had a hell of a time catching that ball at times, lol. But it was a fun night at the Trop and there was a strong Mets' contingent both nights.

What this guy is doing is amazing.

Hey Jim, don't you think what the Mets did in appealing the one hitter was bush league? Not only that but it kind of puts the spotlight on David Wright.

And, considering they got the break in Santana's no hitter on Beltran's should've been double, it rubbed me wrong.

No, I don't think it was Bush. I don't think R.A. even wanted it to go his way. Even Collins said that he didn't expect them to overturn the ruling. I think it was just a manager going to bat for one of his players, that's all. If there's something, as a manager, you can do for one of players that would be a positive for him, then you do it, that's what I thought about the move. I thought it was just a gesture for R.A., that's all. I don't think it has anything to do with the Santana no-hitter and that Beltran hit.

I do think the Rays' official scorer, Matthews is his name, is bush league, though. Just so many instances where that guy wouldn't charge an error (and not talking about the Wright play specifically), that he didn't. There were several ground balls that are routine ground balls for major leaguers that went past a glove, or were bobbled, and he awarded a hit. He seemed more like a Rays' fan scoring games rather than a official scorer ruling in an unbiased effort.

I'm looking forward to this weekend, though, Sunday is Sabathia vs. Dickey, should be one to watch. Not expecting another 1-hitter. I will say that A-Rod is 6-13 career vs. Dickey. And Raul Ibanez is 8-25 with 3 homeruns against him. Of course, Dickey's in the midst of his most dominant stretch of his career. The other Yankee hitters have not had much success against him before, but limited sample sizes, as well.

yea i'll stick with bush league. i get what collins is doing- trying to be the player's friend.. but that's just not done.

beltran's was a hit too.

Love the unwritten rules of baseball.

Protesting a hit..."bush league"

sticking a needle in your ass...totally fine!

• 3 months later...

What Dickey has done this season is truly amazing. I don't know the story of his life or hardships, etc. Just talking from a baseball sense.

Steve Carton was 27-10 on a Phillies team that lost 97 games, probably the best season in modern baseball.

Dickey's performance is close to that. Bravo.

What Dickey has done this season is truly amazing. I don't know the story of his life or hardships, etc. Just talking from a baseball sense.

Steve Carton was 27-10 on a Phillies team that lost 97 games, probably the best season in modern baseball.

Dickey's performance is close to that. Bravo.

I agree. And being a Mets fan leads me to believe that there isn't a shot in hell he wins the C.Y Young award, which he should. The BBWA will vote for someone who doesn't throw a "goofy" pitch. Jon Heyman did say he should win the award, which is good...for someone who spells his name wrong.

Dickey should win it, but the players who should these awards rarely do win..but its been getting a little bettter in recent years(Felix winning cy young with 13 wins comes to mind..that was the right call...wins arent really indicative of how well a pitcher did)