SportsWrath

Manningham

Nas

Mario Manningham to start on PUP

Updated: August 19, 2013, 11:18 AM ETESPN.com news services

ny_u_manningham1_sy_200.jpg

Kirby Lee/USA TODAY SportsMario Manningham, who was on crutches in January at Super Bowl media day, is making good progress in his recovery from his knee injury but will start the 2013 season on the PUP list.

Although the San Francisco 49ers are pleased with Mario Manningham's recovery from a knee injury suffered last December, the wide receiver will start the season on the physically unable to perform list, coach Jim Harbaugh said Sunday.

By rule, players who are placed on the PUP list to start the season must sit out the first six games. Teams then have from Oct. 15 through Nov. 19 in which those players can practice for a period of 21 days. After that practice period, teams must decide whether to activate the player or place him on injured reserve.

Manningham, 27, had 42 receptions for 449 yards and a touchdown last season, his first with the 49ers after four with the New York Giants. Harbaugh said Manningham's rehab is "going very well."

"Been great feedback on Mario. He's really feeling now that he can put his leg in the ground and generate some power," the coach said, according to the team's website. "It's exciting and he's excited about it."

Harbaugh also gave an update on top receiver Michael Crabtree, who is trying to return from a torn Achilles tendon. Crabtree likely will be placed on the PUP list, as well.

"He's hit every single goal as far as his timeline," the coach said, according to the team's website. "That's been real exciting and encouraging."

Best wishes. I still like Manningham.

I'm so glad we have Randle now.

I like Manningham too but I can't stand the 9ers... I dislike them more that I dislike any other team including the Eagles and Cowboys.

I like Manningham too but I can't stand the 9ers... I dislike them more that I dislike any other team including the Eagles and Cowboys.

True, I hate Kaepernick. Maybe because his arm is awesome...jealousy? I don't know.

I hate Harbaugh though.

True, I hate Kaepernick. Maybe because his arm is awesome...jealousy? I don't know.

I hate Harbaugh though.

I hate Kaepernick because:

1. He's the single most bizarre-looking human being I've ever seen.

2. Who the fuck does he think he is, trying to trademark kissing your biceps? Does that fucking clown really think HE invented that?

3. I hate read-option quarterbacks.

As for Manningham, good riddance. Can't help but notice once we lose the Steve Smiths and Mario Manninghams of the world, their careers are over.

2. Who the fuck does he think he is, trying to trademark kissing your biceps? Does that fucking clown really think HE invented that?

As for Manningham, good riddance. Can't help but notice once we lose the Steve Smiths and Mario Manninghams of the world, their careers are over.

We all know it was Big Pappa Pump, Scott Steiner.

I've got a feeling that guy is a flake and will flame out.

4. He's a peanut head. Literally.

I've got a feeling that guy is a flake and will flame out.

I wish you were right. Probably would, without that coach. With him, he will be top 5

Actually, I almost think Harbaugh won't make it... the game is too big for him. Dude clearly has a screw loose.

Actually, I almost think Harbaugh won't make it... the game is too big for him. Dude clearly has a screw loose.

Best first 2 years of any coach in history. Brought a team from 5-11 to one muffed punt from the Super Bowl in his first year with no off season. Followed it up with 5 yards from a Lombardi year 2. Won't make it? He's already made it.

Best first 2 years of any coach in history. Brought a team from 5-11 to one muffed punt from the Super Bowl in his first year with no off season. Followed it up with 5 yards from a Lombardi year 2. Won't make it? He's already made it.

Those are all good points, and at this he's definitely a really good coach. A few years ago there was this hot new coach named Rex Ryan, who for the first time brought a team to two championship games back-to-back in his first two seasons, one with a rookie quarterback. "Unheard of!" "How can he be stopped!" Now the guy is probably going to lose his job if his team doesn't make it deep into playoffs.

These things don't always turn out the way they seem they're going to... and the Mike Ditkas of the world tend to have a pretty short shelf life. If Harbaugh doesn't reel it in a little bit I think he'll be on the unemployment line in a few seasons. That's not to say he can't turn it around... Bill Cowher was a bit of a loon when he was younger, too. I guess we'll see.

I wouldn't say he's "made it" until he's won the Super Bowl, however.

Those are all good points, and at this he's definitely a really good coach. A few years ago there was this hot new coach named Rex Ryan, who for the first time brought a team to two championship games back-to-back in his first two seasons, one with a rookie quarterback. "Unheard of!" "How can he be stopped!" Now the guy is probably going to lose his job if his team doesn't make it deep into playoffs.

These things don't always turn out the way they seem they're going to... and the Mike Ditkas of the world tend to have a pretty short shelf life. If Harbaugh doesn't reel it in a little bit I think he'll be on the unemployment line in a few seasons. That's not to say he can't turn it around... Bill Cowher was a bit of a loon when he was younger, too. I guess we'll see.

I wouldn't say he's "made it" until he's won the Super Bowl, however.

Did I mention what he did for Stanford? I would like nothing better than if you were right. But, unlike Ryan he gets that he needs offense and special teams to go along with Defense. Plus he has a more than competent front office (again, unlike Ryan). I think we are seeing the beginnings of a Bill Walsh type run.

Did I mention what he did for Stanford? I would like nothing better than if you were right. But, unlike Ryan he gets that he needs offense and special teams to go along with Defense. Plus he has a more than competent front office (again, unlike Ryan). I think we are seeing the beginnings of a Bill Walsh type run.

Maybe, but I think its unlikely - IMO, he's the lesser Harbaugh.

Really? I think Ravens fall hard this year.

They may, but that doesn't inherently mean he's the lesser coach. IMO, John has done more with less.

I think Jim's success in SF is less a testament to how great a coach he is, and more an indictment of Mike Singletary. That guy was a catastrophe as head coach.

They may, but that doesn't inherently mean he's the lesser coach. IMO, John has done more with less.

I think Jim's success in SF is less a testament to how great a coach he is, and more an indictment of Mike Singletary. That guy was a catastrophe as head coach.

I didn't say he was lesser. Definitely the best head coaching brothers in history, I think. (At least until Rob Ryan gets a sniff ;)

As bad as Singletary was, every pundit in the league had 49ers dead last in 2012. What Harbaugh did, with no off season, was truly remarkable. Even Walsh and Parcells first years were dismal.

I didn't say he was lesser. Definitely the best head coaching brothers in history, I think. (At least until Rob Ryan gets a sniff ;)

As bad as Singletary was, every pundit in the league had 49ers dead last in 2012. What Harbaugh did, with no off season, was truly remarkable. Even Walsh and Parcells first years were dismal.

That's what I mean, though. The Singletaries, the Ray Rhodeses, the Mike Ditkas... they tend to have great initial success but then they headcase out, and Harbaugh is cut from the same cloth. I'd like to give him a bigger sample size then two seasons before we put him in Canton.

That's what I mean, though. The Singletaries, the Ray Rhodeses, the Mike Ditkas... they tend to have great initial success but then they headcase out, and Harbaugh is cut from the same cloth. I'd like to give him a bigger sample size then two seasons before we put him in Canton.

. Ditka took 2 seasons to get over 500, then he had a great run from 84-91. So I would consider him a very good coach.

Rhodes kind of personifies what you mean. had 2 good seasons then flamed out.

Singletary was never good.

. Ditka took 2 seasons to get over 500, then he had a great run from 84-91. So I would consider him a very good coach.

Rhodes kind of personifies what you mean. had 2 good seasons then flamed out.

Singletary was never good.

I am probably in the minority thinking that Singletary was okay. He was just too bipolar and needed to stick to a vision. Also both Harbaughs inherited good teams that just needed a QB to work. Spagnolo should have taken that Ravens job instead of waiting and getting the Rams.

I am probably in the minority thinking that Singletary was okay. He was just too bipolar and needed to stick to a vision. Also both Harbaughs inherited good teams that just needed a QB to work. Spagnolo should have taken that Ravens job instead of waiting and getting the Rams.

No probably about it. Harbaugh went to the championship with the same QB Singletary went 5-11.