SportsWrath

Gilbride's "Hybrid offence"

Lughead

The Giants will continue to run what new offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride calls a "hybrid" offense. The big winner here could be tight end Jeremy Shockey, who averaged a career-low 9.4 yards per catch. With Gilbride calling the shots, the Giants likely will attempt more downfield throws, specifically targeting Shockey.
NEW YORK POST.... Paul Swartz

Kevin Gilbride has seen enough of Eli Manning in three seasons as his quarterbacks coach to come to this decision:

In 2007, he's going to let Manning air it out

NY Daily News...RALPH VACCHIANO

DAilynews blog....RALPH VACCHIANO

Good. We need to stretch the defense. The reason for our WRs not getting open was not only lack of talent, but no one was getting open. And our offense does have some deep threats and I think Eli does have an exception long pass arm.

A couple of other tidbits from the partial conference call:

Coughlin, not Gilbride, will choose the new quarterbacks coach. And he may not pick one anytime soon. “I don’t think he feels like he’s in any rush,” Gilbride said.

Brandon Jacobs may be the heir apparent to Tiki Barber, but he will likely have competition this summer. "We're certainly hoping that (he can replace Barber),” Gilbride said. “I don’t know if you can ever take the luxury of saying one guy is going to do everything. He hasn’t done it, and as you see the way the league is evolving you want to have at least two backs. In almost all instances the successful teams have that. I think we have confidence that Brandon Jacobs can be that guy, but I think we also want to make sure we have the security of having somebody else that’s there with him.”

from Ralph Vacchiano

So we may go RB in the first round unless there is a better WR v.s. RB situation. But again that is also depending on the FA signings.

Haven't we been airing it out a little too much recently? Now Eli can overthrow him more.

Not really. Eli has made some of his best throws on deep passes. He made an awesome throw to Moss on 2nd down where Moss was getting mugged and it wasnt a PI call. Eli just never gets helped out by his targets, that's why you never see his deep passes on sportscenter.

Haven't we been airing it out a little too much recently? Now Eli can overthrow him more.

Airing it out with a vertical passing game will open up the run by keeping the safeties back and forceing a LB into coverage against Shockey. The key is they have to run and pass downfield out of the same package

Good. We need to stretch the defense. The reason for our WRs not getting open was not only lack of talent, but no one was getting open. And our offense does have some deep threats and I think Eli does have an exception long pass arm.

I think there is some stat I heard about in the past couple of days. It talked about how the most prolofic offenses in the league had most of their passes drected at their TE and RB not their wide receivers. Kindda like the way Barber used to catch and run (He did less of it this season)

I think there is some stat I heard about in the past couple of days. It talked about how the most prolofic offenses in the league had most of their passes drected at their TE and RB not their wide receivers. Kindda like the way Barber used to catch and run (He did less of it this season)

Wrong again (as usual). Tiki had 58 receptions this year, the most since 2003. His receiving yardage was on the lower end of past years but still close. Barber bailed us out so many times in the passing game and once again had over 2000 yards from scrimmage. Figures you would insinuate that Barber didn't do enough, you know you can attribute just about everyone of Jacobs' TD runs to Barber as he was the one getting us down their just about every time. No surprise Nas is wrong again, just like he is about nearly every subject.

LOL. "Air it out." Because that's worked so well for the Giants and Eli these last two years. Didn't he have something like the most pass attempts in the NFL two years ago?

God, what a fucking retard. It's dumb and fucking dumber here in NY.

Please Bill Cowher, please Bill Belichick, save us from this shit in '08.

LOL. "Air it out." Because that's worked so well for the Giants and Eli these last two years. Didn't he have something like the most pass attempts in the NFL two years ago?

God, what a fucking retard. It's dumb and fucking dumber here in NY.

Please Bill Cowher, please Bill Belichick, save us from this shit in '08.

I'm with you on Cowher, but I really don't want Belichek as our HC. Not that I don't think he would perform the job well, I just can't stand the guy. He's such a smug asshole, IMO. We just have to let this next year play out and see what happens.

I'm with you on Cowher, but I really don't want Belichek as our HC. Not that I don't think he would perform the job well, I just can't stand the guy. He's such a smug asshole, IMO. We just have to let this next year play out and see what happens.

I don't care if he's an ass, he's by far the best coach in the NFL. I'll take him in a heartbeat.

I hope TC is our coachin 08. It would mean we have a hell of a season in 07.

'm with you on Cowher, but I really don't want Belichek as our HC. Not that I don't think he would perform the job well, I just can't stand the guy. He's such a smug asshole, IMO. We just have to let this next year play out and see what happens.
I'd take smugness and wins over temper tantrums and losses. I don't care how smug he is. He's got five rings, and perhaps a sixth on the way.

I don't care if he's an ass, he's by far the best coach in the NFL. I'll take him in a heartbeat.

I hope TC is our coachin 08. It would mean we have a hell of a season in 07.

Agreed, but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. No team with Gilbride as an OC has ever finished better than 9-7 in the last twenty years.

I'd take smugness and wins over temper tantrums and losses. I don't care how smug he is. He's got five rings, and perhaps a sixth on the way.

Agreed, but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. No team with Gilbride as an OC has ever finished better than 9-7 in the last twenty years.

Who knows? Maybe the personnel just wasn't right where he was.

I feel like this team is abandoing GIANTS football that is a good defense and an average offense... They want to become the colts not be able to play defesne but have a very good offense

I hate this i think we need to address the defesne more then anything else right now

The main concern should be the defense and eye up a vet wr in FA and a quick shifty back later in the draft, but focus on defense more then anything else right now.

I feel like this team is abandoing GIANTS football that is a good defense and an average offense... They want to become the colts not be able to play defesne but have a very good offense

I hate this i think we need to address the defesne more then anything else right now

The main concern should be the defense and eye up a vet wr in FA and a quick shifty back later in the draft, but focus on defense more then anything else right now.

Are you forgetting that they signed something like 7 or 8 free agents last year all defence....Not one offensive free agent. Oh and they also used there first round pick on D...The starting O was the same as last year...The D was completly rebuilt