SportsWrath

The Skies are clearing

xxi-xxv

A new day has dawned....an awful season is behind us all and a new day is near. What will this team do? Play on the cheap? Spend some dough to fix some issues? Continue to be a MASH unit? Ahhhhh the tranquility of the end of 2009 and 2010 is upon us......mellow.gif

• 4 weeks later...

A new day has dawned....an awful season is behind us all and a new day is near. What will this team do? Play on the cheap? Spend some dough to fix some issues? Continue to be a MASH unit? Ahhhhh the tranquility of the end of 2009 and 2010 is upon us......mellow.gif

With signings like Chris Coste and Henry Blanco, we can now look ahead to 2010 with HUGE optimism! :thumbs::blink:

With signings like Chris Coste and Henry Blanco, we can now look ahead to 2010 with HUGE optimism! :thumbs::blink:

I read somewhere that the Mets were not happy with how their 09 catchers called games...the pitchers and the coaches were both unhappy. You guys do seem to have a good home-grown talent that is half a season away from being ready though, those two vets are just to hold the fort.

I read somewhere that the Mets were not happy with how their 09 catchers called games...the pitchers and the coaches were both unhappy. You guys do seem to have a good home-grown talent that is half a season away from being ready though, those two vets are just to hold the fort.

Too much is made of this by our thick-headed organization. It's the pitchers' job to execute the pitches well. At any time those pitchers can shake off a pitch. Either way, if our pitchers just pitched better, hit their spots and had the consistent velocity that some of them were supposed to have and didn't, I'm pretty sure nobody would question the catchers game-calling. Get me a catcher that can receive the ball, has good fundamentals, can throw out a fair percentage of base stealers, and CAN HIT!

Too much is made of this by our thick-headed organization. It's the pitchers' job to execute the pitches well. At any time those pitchers can shake off a pitch. Either way, if our pitchers just pitched better, hit their spots and had the consistent velocity that some of them were supposed to have and didn't, I'm pretty sure nobody would question the catchers game-calling. Get me a catcher that can receive the ball, has good fundamentals, can throw out a fair percentage of base stealers, and CAN HIT!

That's an argument for the ages, Jim. I know they say a catcher's gear are the tools of ignorance, but the theory is that most pitchers have delicate psychs, and easily become flustered or whatever. You could have seen that in the first half of last season when the Yes channel was flashing the Yanks pitching stats when Posada was behind the plate vs the other catchers. The difference was enormous and pretty pathetic for Posada vs Cervelli and Cash.

Not to change the subject, I hear the Mets have just started showing interest in Bay. I really think the Mets can afford, and should try to sign Bay, Holliday, and Lackey to get back in contention with the Phills. If they hurry and sign one, it might help lure the other two.

heard the mets offered a contract to bengie molina. as long as you didn't say run, he has all those tools. i like bengie a lot- wish we still had him.

as far as bay goes, i don't see what all the fuss is about him. 280 lifetime hitter with some pop. :yawn:

You jest! The Sox thought enough of him to offer him 15 mil a yr for 4 yrs. Power, RBI's, runs, high OPB, decent fielder.

In Boston, he's worth the most. although a man of your advanced years should know that you don't measure a player by the size of his contract. Put him in new Shea and his power numbers and average will drop. I'm not saying he's bad, maybe 25 to 30th best hitter.

In Boston, he's worth the most. although a man of your advanced years should know that you don't measure a player by the size of his contract. Put him in new Shea and his power numbers and average will drop. I'm not saying he's bad, maybe 25 to 30th best hitter.

What ever happened to our buddy, Donny, alias Herculesthong, alias Admiral Awful, alias etc., etc.? He’d straighten you out.

the mets are the 4th best team in their division and thats if they get healthy and sign bay and lackey. justy a horrible orgainzation

29-20 2.5 games up with last game played before Delgado went down then Reyes and well you know the rest...Most wins in NL from 2006 to 2008. I'd say there are a lot worse organizations out there.

Sign Lackey. Give me Santana and Lackey and I will take my chances.

Cant help but think of what Joel SHerman said last week. if you said the KC Royals had 5 of the leagues top 50 players would you expect them to win 85 games and compete)he mentioned Reyes wright beltran santana and FRod). Some tinkering here and there and things will be fine. The 2009 Mets were headed to 85 90 wins before the injuries put 92 mil on DL. No team can recover from that.

Lackey, Bay, and Holliday. If the Mets don't sign all three, boycott!

Not Bay AND Holliday, just one of the two. They are both LFers. I prefer Bay, because I think he has the bigger bat. But I would love for the Mets to sign him and Lackey, although both might be a pipe dream. If they could do it, though, they would re-energize the fan base.

Not Bay AND Holliday, just one of the two. They are both LFers. I prefer Bay, because I think he has the bigger bat. But I would love for the Mets to sign him and Lackey, although both might be a pipe dream. If they could do it, though, they would re-energize the fan base.

Well, that settles it. Lackey's going to the Sox.

I don't understand Happ and Blanton going to the Jays for Halladay, and they are now trying to trade Lee to Seattle. Where's the gain?

If I were the Mets, I would try to sign both Bay and Holliday. It would give them a solid OF with potent line up. I realize Bay's asking price is inflationary, though, so I can understand if the Mets reluctance to pull it off.

Well, that settles it. Lackey's going to the Sox.

I don't understand Happ and Blanton going to the Jays for Halladay, and they are now trying to trade Lee to Seattle. Where's the gain?

If I were the Mets, I would try to sign both Bay and Holliday. It would give them a solid OF with potent line up. I realize Bay's asking price is inflationary, though, so I can understand if the Mets reluctance to pull it off.

The Mets do not need 2 outfielders. Although he certainly is not the caliber of the other 2 the Mets seem content with jeff Franceor in RF. This much we know hes a much better defender than those 2 and has a cannon arm, something that is needed in that big outfield.

I would go after Holliday at this point, put him in LF, then try and sign a Jason Marquis type guy, go from there and then see where you are at at the deadline. This years free agent class is nothing like 2010-2011 off season so I do not want to overpay like they did say in 2002 when they had a similar situation and got burned by overrated bad free agent crop.

The Mets do not need 2 outfielders. Although he certainly is not the caliber of the other 2 the Mets seem content with jeff Franceor in RF. This much we know hes a much better defender than those 2 and has a cannon arm, something that is needed in that big outfield.

I would go after Holliday at this point, put him in LF, then try and sign a Jason Marquis type guy, go from there and then see where you are at at the deadline. This years free agent class is nothing like 2010-2011 off season so I do not want to overpay like they did say in 2002 when they had a similar situation and got burned by overrated bad free agent crop.

Interesting... I agree with most of this. Except I'm not sure why you prefer Holliday over Bay? Bay seems to have the most HR potential, something we are most desperate for. Both are not great outfielders (having both of them in the corner outfield would be a defensive disaster, Ditto!), but Bay, I think, is the better thumper, and commands less in salary than Holliday. Anyhow, I like you're thinking. Go for the cheaper between Marquis and Piniero and I would like them to sign Wang to a incentive based contract. It's a high reward move and doesn't have to cost a whole lot.

Francouer can have a good year. I think an outfield of Bay, Beltran, and Francouer is terrific hitting wise. I expect Francouer is going to have a big year for us. He's driven in a 100 RBI's before, and I think he can do it for us, wouldn't that be great? He reminds me of the Phillies' Jason Werth in what he can mean to our lineup and defensively.

XXI, what do you think about the prospects of trying to resign Delgado for one more year? I am really excited about the prospects of Ike Davis (and Josh Thole).

Interesting... I agree with most of this. Except I'm not sure why you prefer Holliday over Bay? Bay seems to have the most HR potential, something we are most desperate for. Both are not great outfielders (having both of them in the corner outfield would be a defensive disaster, Ditto!), but Bay, I think, is the better thumper, and commands less in salary than Holliday. Anyhow, I like you're thinking. Go for the cheaper between Marquis and Piniero and I would like them to sign Wang to a incentive based contract. It's a high reward move and doesn't have to cost a whole lot.

Francouer can have a good year. I think an outfield of Bay, Beltran, and Francouer is terrific hitting wise. I expect Francouer is going to have a big year for us. He's driven in a 100 RBI's before, and I think he can do it for us, wouldn't that be great? He reminds me of the Phillies' Jason Werth in what he can mean to our lineup and defensively.

XXI, what do you think about the prospects of trying to resign Delgado for one more year? I am really excited about the prospects of Ike Davis (and Josh Thole).

I am fine with bringing back Delgado. One thing that makes me worry is this supposed lockeroom presence and attitude of his. I am for anything that does not trade away prospects as I am also very excited by Ike Davis and to a lesser extent Thole. So to answer your question, yes I am fine with bringing back Delgado.

Where we differ is I like Holliday better than Bay, but he may be too pricey.