SportsWrath

When it rains.....it pours another Giant safety injured

Lughead

I honestly don't get it. What in the fuck are they doing?! Why so many pulled this's and pulled that's? Strained this's and strained that's? Anyone have any theories? We see articles out there regarding the statistics, results, and consequences of all the injuries but WHY are they happening?

It's not like players are going out and tearing up their knees or breaking bones, these are stupid soft tissue injuries! Is it the turf? Lack of proper nutrition (this would be near the top of my suspect list)? Lack of flexibility work or lack of targeting specific support muscle groups? There has to be a reason that Tom Coughlins teams of the 2010s get hit with injury so much. The number of injuries simply cannot be due to chance.

Strains and pulls...speaks to flexibility...speaks to proper stretching, warm up, cool down type activity. You come into the locker room, get suited up, and go full tilt once on the field, you're asking for this stuff.

It's difficult to say...I mean, I don't know what their procedure is. Do they stretch as a team before each practice? If so, who is monitoring the players to make sure they actually stretch out as opposed to cracking jokes with the guy next to them? Do they stretch again after practice? Do they ramp up the level of activity or do they go after it right out of the gate? Is it on the player to stretch before practice? Are they staying properly hydrated?

The point is, there are ways to stem off these types of injuries...not eliminate them...but reduce their liklihood. Much of it falls back on the player. Think about it. If you're the player and your coach is asking you to go full bore on a sprint or on a particular drill, but you're still tight or your muscles are cold. Part of me would tell the coach that I'd be happy to do so, but I need to finish stretching out and warming up first. I'd also think, the coach would be okay with that approach to avoid injury, even if he's annoyed by the delay.

Strains and pulls...speaks to flexibility...speaks to proper stretching, warm up, cool down type activity. You come into the locker room, get suited up, and go full tilt once on the field, you're asking for this stuff.

It's difficult to say...I mean, I don't know what their procedure is. Do they stretch as a team before each practice? If so, who is monitoring the players to make sure they actually stretch out as opposed to cracking jokes with the guy next to them? Do they stretch again after practice? Do they ramp up the level of activity or do they go after it right out of the gate? Is it on the player to stretch before practice? Are they staying properly hydrated?

The point is, there are ways to stem off these types of injuries...not eliminate them...but reduce their liklihood. Much of it falls back on the player. Think about it. If you're the player and your coach is asking you to go full bore on a sprint or on a particular drill, but you're still tight or your muscles are cold. Part of me would tell the coach that I'd be happy to do so, but I need to finish stretching out and warming up first. I'd also think, the coach would be okay with that approach to avoid injury, even if he's annoyed by the delay.

You can watch the Giants' warm ups before their games if you get there early enough. I haven't seen one in about five years, but last time I looked I remember thinking it was our warm up routine from when we had gym class in middle school.

Take what you want from that... they may have done much more in the locker room for all I know... but there were no planks, yoga stretches, etc. that most of the world has been working into their routine in the past ten years or so.

You can watch the Giants' warm ups before their games if you get there early enough. I haven't seen one in about five years, but last time I looked I remember thinking it was our warm up routine from when we had gym class in middle school.

Take what you want from that... they may have done much more in the locker room for all I know... but there were no planks, yoga stretches, etc. that most of the world has been working into their routine in the past ten years or so.

How was it compared to the other teams?

how old is Jerry Palmieri again? just saying .

How was it compared to the other teams?

when I went to the joint practice with the Bengals, the Giants spent a LOT more time stretching and warming up. Although the Bengals could have been doing stuff before they hit the field. Giants were on the field long before the Bengals were doing organized activities.

I honestly don't get it. What in the fuck are they doing?! Why so many pulled this's and pulled that's? Strained this's and strained that's? Anyone have any theories? We see articles out there regarding the statistics, results, and consequences of all the injuries but WHY are they happening?

It's not like players are going out and tearing up their knees or breaking bones, these are stupid soft tissue injuries! Is it the turf? Lack of proper nutrition (this would be near the top of my suspect list)? Lack of flexibility work or lack of targeting specific support muscle groups? There has to be a reason that Tom Coughlins teams of the 2010s get hit with injury so much. The number of injuries simply cannot be due to chance.

Pressure to perform. Injuries have been happening for years, it was one of the reasons why Coughlin is here now. It is not a coincidence that we are having more injuries during years there is even more pressure to win. We just don't have the depth to absorb it.

Pulled this and pulled that are a direct result of bad conditioning and improper warm up... I had my very first pulled hamstring when I was 29 years old... never once before... Reason, I wasn't as athletic anymore... my profession is in the finance field... the idiots playing in the NFL are supposed to be "professional" athletes... meaning it's part of their fucking jobs to stay fit...

As far as Coughlin's style.. I could relate.. I was in the military... they ALWAYS preached "Suck it up and drive on".. and we did... even when I badly broke my nose I said I was ok... except I wasn't... even when I had suffered a horrific fall and a concussion that lasted 3 weeks... I said I was ok... and I wasn't... Coughlin comes from THAT dumb school of thought... but don't you dare question his majesty... he's won us two SB therefore, he's infallible.

The warm up routine used by the Giants is positively archaic. Static stretching a cold body is known to cause injuries, but thats what they do.

But most teams do that, and have for almost as long as there's been an NFL.... so I don't think that is the only reason the Giant suffer more than their fair share of injuries.