SportsWrath

New York Giants’ Geoff Schwartz Impressed with Rookie Ereck Flowers; Sees Him as a Tackle

Mr. P

New York Giants’ Geoff Schwartz Impressed with Rookie Ereck Flowers; Sees Him as a TackleMay 17th, 2015 at 3:00 PM

By Dan Benton

While much of Giants Nation has spent their time wondering how General Manger Jerry Reese could have let LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins slip through his fingers — something we now know was Collins' choice — the team's first-round pick, Miami offensive lineman Ereck Flowers, has been busy making a good impression with his New York Giants teammates.

Already referred to as an "aircraft carrier" by head coach Tom Coughlin, Flowers' massive size (6-6, 329 lbs.) has also caught the attention of some of his fellow offensive lineman. But even beyond that, he's proven to be eye-openly strong for a 21-year-old who has yet to play a single NFL snap.

"He's a big man, he's 330, but he's very proportionate,"
. "You wouldn't think he was 330. It's impressive how a guy that looks that lean is so strong and big. They hope he comes in and holds down a tackle spot for a long time. They hope he brings that nastiness and run blocking style we need to get back to.

“We lifted together [this week]. He is a strong guy that I look forward to seeing."

And speaking of which position Flowers eventually projects to, Schwartz agrees with Reese, Coughlin and former Giants offensive lineman Chris Snee, who helped evaluate several first round targets, saying the rookie appears poised to take over as a franchise tackle — most likely, as a franchise left tackle.

"I definitely think Eric is a tackle, I don't see him as a guard," Schwartz said. "He is very athletic. You have to be a certain type of athlete to play tackle and he fits that mold of long arms, strong and powerful. I'm excited to see him get after it."

How the offensive line shakes out still remains to be seen, but early speculation has Justin Pugh moving from right tackle to left guard, Schwartz taking over as right guard and Flowers moving to right tackle, while Weston Richburg takes the natural progression in his career, sliding over to center. Of course, how well Brett Jones performs in training camp/preseason may alter those plans, but at the end of the day, the Giants will have their five best offensive lineman starting come Week 1.

http://www.giants101.com/2015/05/17/new-york-giants-geoff-schwartz-impressed-with-rookie-ereck-flowers-sees-him-as-a-tackle/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+giants101+%28Giants+101%29

GS is a guard who didn't play last year and saw a lineman drafted in the first round. Could be motivation enough right there to call the rookie an OT. If I was Beatty - I think I might be seeing the rookie as a guard.

Blah blah blah. Flowers plays where we need him to when the season starts, only factor that changes that is injuries. As long as John Jerry doesn't start we're fine.

:laugh: Sounds like you're getting tired of Giants Ugly Ball too!

I don't think GS is naive enough to think what he says is going to weigh at all on the perception of where Flowers is the best fit. I think he's excited, like me, of what Flowers is bringing to the table.

I think there is some of that...but I also don't think ANY veteran is going to praise a rookie as being better than they are at their (the veteran's) own position.

The sooner he replaces Will Beatme at LT the better.....but i think he starts at guard to replace Jerry, who is atrocious at run blocking.

I think the lineup will be: Beatty/Pugh/Richburg/Schwartz/Flowers

I agree. I think Pugh is going to pissed about it, too. Such is life.

Everything I've read Pugh is happy where ever the coaching staff sticks him, he's a football player.

At the same time I think Pugh should remain a tackle.

Flower should ride the bench for a year, fill in where injuries pop up, cut Beatty next off season when it isnt such a cap hit, then stick Flowers at LT and leave him there for the next ten years.

Everything I've read Pugh is happy where ever the coaching staff sticks him, he's a football player.

At the same time I think Pugh should remain a tackle.

Flower should ride the bench for a year, fill in where injuries pop up, cut Beatty next off season when it isnt such a cap hit, then stick Flowers at LT and leave him there for the next ten years.

Beatty was easily the best offensive lineman on the team last season and the Giants didn't draft Flowers to ride the bench. Flowers is starting wherever the team needs him on the offensive line.

I think they get better at two positions by moving Pugh to LG and playing Flowers at RT. I think he stays at RT and Beatty's replacement is not even on the team yet

I'm certainly hoping that Flowers is the left tackle of the future.

I'm certainly hoping that Flowers is the left tackle of the future.

He could be. I think he can be a pro bowler at RT and if they are thinking about an eventual replacement Beatty in the near future(He's 31 at season's end.) They will need another OT either to replace Beatty or Flowers if he moves to the left. I can't see Pugh moving inside and then moving back outside

I love how TC described him as an aircraft carrier.

I watched Flowers game snaps... after watching him, I was shocked that he wasn't mocked higher by the "experts". I saw a guy who moves very well for his size, and an absolute dominating, wipe out your man, blocking machine in the run game. He will start at RT, and Jennings is going to love running right. He's going to obliterate dudes and it's going to be awesome.