SportsWrath

Giants release Jon Beason, Geoff Schwartz and Will Beatty, clear about $12M in cap space

Mr. P

The Giants began what could be a massive, offseason overhaul when they released three high-priced but injury-prone players on Wednesday morning, according to multiple sources, clearing about $12 million in salary cap space they can use to rebuild their 6-10 team.

Guard Geoff Schwartz, tackle Will Beatty and linebacker Jon Beason were the first to go, sources said, getting their release just three days after Super Bowl 50. Cutting Beason cleared about $5.1 million in cap room. Cutting Beatty cleared $4.175 million. And cutting Schwartz cleared about $3 million.

The Giants now could be sitting on more than $60 million in cap room when the free-agent signing period opens in March.

Of course, now they’ll need to replace all three players, along with countless others on a team that has suffered three straight losing seasons and is headed into it’s first year under new head coach Ben McAdoo. The departure of Beatty and Schwartz will leave the Giants short-handed on the offensive line, and there is no obvious candidate to replace Beason at middle linebacker.

Still, all three had to go due to their age, salaries, and most importantly their injury history. Beatty, 30, has missed time in his career due to back injury, a detached retina, a broken leg and a torn pec that sidelined him for the entire 2014 season. The former second-round pick (2009) had two years left on a five-year, $38.75 million deal he signed in 2013.

Schwartz, 29, had joined the Giants as a free agent in 2014, signing a four-year, $16.8 million contract. But a toe injury and later a broken ankle and broken leg limited him to just 13 games in two seasons.

Beason, 31, came to the Giants in an early season trade from Carolina in 2013 in a deal – for a seventh-round pick – that initially looked like a steal. As a result of his play that season, the Giants looked past his lengthy injury history and signed him to a three-year, $16.8 million contract. But he hurt his toe in training camp that season and played in only four games. Then knee and ankle injuries limited to five games last season.

Due to injuries, Beason has played in only 29 games in the last five seasons. Facing the possibility of offseason knee surgery, Beason was also contemplating retirement, according to a source.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-cut-beason-2-clear-12-million-cap-space-article-1.2526911

I am a little surprised with Beatty and Schwartz...you would've thought they'd have been approached as guys who needed to restructure...who knows...maybe they were and were not willing to do so. Just seems with the uncertainty of the defense this last few years, adding offensive line depth/starters to the offseason priority list makes me a bit uneasy. Restructure, then cut if needed would've been my approach. Again, maybe the Giants went this route and we just don't know about it.

Either way, can't say that any of these 3 will be missed all that much.

UPDATE: Nevermind...Graziano reported that neither Schwartz nor Beatty were approached for a restructure. Again, that surprises me a little.

On a side note, clearing lots of cap room puts a lot more pressure on Reese to hit home runs this offseason...especially having been put on notice by the owner.

Reports are they did offer a paycut to both Beatty and Schwartz and they refused it

Graziano reported that they were not offered....hmmmm...

"I am told that neither Geoff Schwartz nor Will Beatty was approached by Giants about taking a pay cut. Team just moving on."

Excellent moves. These cuts don't add offensive line depth to the priority list, but rather acknowledge that offensive line depth WAS an existing problem and deluding ourselves into thinking that THIS year is the year that Beatty and Shwartz manage to stay healthy, is irrational and irresponsible roster planning.

I don't know who's responsible for this behind the scenes, but it smells like McAdoo to me. Unless Reese had some wild philosophy shift. Couldn't you just envision Reese at the end of next season, having not made these moves, and after Beatty and Shwartz inevitably getting injured, defending the roster he assembled saying we had the depth but then injuries happened? I know I can.

It's about time this team starting living in reality again. I like this.

Not sayin that depths wasn't already an issue, but I think it'd have at least been worth offering a backup-pay deal to both Schwartz and Beatty until we found their replacements. Cutting without any offer seems risky is all.

In short, I think both would be valuable backups and that starters were still needed. Not sure what the advantage is to cutting them without making any backup pay kind of offer.

I simply want Reese to sign NFL quality players in free agency. He doesn't need to sign a bunch of studs. We just need starting caliber players at positions of need. Make our defense average, while suring up the OL and WR, and the post season is a good one imo

Yeah we needed more holes to fill on the offensive line. If you don't have the guy already on the roster, get the guy who will do the job before getting rid of the guy who can do the job. John Jerry and Marshall Newhouse aren't those guys.

They need another tackle now in the worst way. Unless they think Bobby Hart can step in at RT, and even then they need a depth signing, they need to get a tackle and one that can play at a high level. They cannot miss on this.

I thought Beatty was a fair bet to come back and stay healthy... he had the bicep tear lifting, right? And a freak eye injury. I might be missing something else but with the pectoral tear that's not a low-body injury that often linger or get re-injured. I think Strahan had the same injury and came back and helped us to a championship (might have been a bicep tear).

They will overpay on talent in free agency and they really have to. Remember Antrell was a great addition in free agency but at the time was perceived an overpay. Kareem MacKenzie, Antonio Pierce, Kawika Mitchell, Plaxico. We will need to hit some in free agency like we did with those guys.

We just freed up 15 million by cutting three guys who didn't do dick last year, and two of whom did dick the year before?

That's AWESOME.

So last year you want them to do dick but the year before you didn't? C'mon now Seph, do you want to see them do dick or not?