SportsWrath

Giants ‘loving’ what they see from TE Larry Donnell

Mr. P

Larry Donnell sits atop the Giants’ tight-end depth chart two days before the exhibition opener against the Bills at the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio. But he’s more concerned where he is Sept. 8, when Big Blue will be in Detroit for the regular-season opener.

“It doesn’t mean much,” the second-year pro from Grambling said about leading the Giants’ jumbled tight-end competition before practice on Thursday. “I don’t really look into that.”

Donnell is one of five Giants in the mix for the vacant tight-end job, along with Kellen Davis, Daniel Fells, Adrien Robinson and Xavier Grimble, an unheralded group in which Donnell is the greatest unknown. Robinson was a fourth-round pick while veterans Davis and Fells have started for NFL teams.

Soft-spoken and humble, Donnell was asked why he should be the team’s starter when the Giants kick off for real, and he praised the guys he’s battling against. That doesn’t mean he’s not determined to win the job, however.

“Every time you step on the field, you’re trying to show something,” he said.

“I’m just trying to grow as a player, bridge the gap from last year to this year, become a better overall player.

“It’s a big opportunity. Nothing in this league is promised. [When] opportunity [comes], you just make the best of it.”

And while it’s early in training camp, he has made an impression.

On Tuesday, he hauled in a one-handed touchdown with his left hand on a fade route in the corner of the end zone, using his strength to hold off safety Cooper Taylor.

“Doing that type of stuff, it lets you know it can be done,” Donnell said.

“When it’s time for it, you don’t think about it. You just go up and make the play.”

On Thursday, he had a nice touchdown catch on a seam route over the middle in traffic, another productive practice for Donnell in what is becoming a habit.

“He’s done a nice job, he’s improved,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’s got to keep going, he’s got a long way to go. I like what I see.”

Safety Antrel Rolle added on ESPN New York radio: “I’m liking Larry Donnell right now. I’m loving him.”

The 25-year-old second-year pro was signed as a rookie free agent last year and had a reserve role. The 6-foot-6, 265-pound Alabama product was used on special teams and as a extra blocker, catching three passes for 31 yards in limited duty. He is still learning the position, after arriving at Grambling as a quarterback. He caught just 38 passes at the position across four years in college.

“When I first came here it was a big blur to me,” Donnell said. “I’m still trying to grasp onto it, slowly but surely. I’m trying to build up confidence every day, so I’ll be ready to play. That experience factor helps.”

http://nypost.com/2014/07/31/who-will-emerge-as-giants-starting-tight-end/

Loving him so much that he's being rotated in/out with 4 other guys...please. Giants are using the press to motivate guys/give confidence where it's needed. Position is clearly still up for grabs.

Beat writers have been saying he's been having good practices too.

I've always thought he had the ideal size and more than ample athleticism to be a good two-way player, you just wondered if he could put it all together. I think it it says something about him that the Giants, even though they got Davis and Fells, two veterans, they have Donnell ahead of them to start (for now). In the past, the Giants have gotten these rental players (Black Unicorn, Myers) and they were immediately considered the starters from the moment the ink dried. It's a different story now. I think Donnell is going to win this job, and I think whoever wins a job between Davis and Fells (my money is on Davis) will be the veteran back up, and then Grimble may stick ahead of Robinson as the young understudy. There is an outside chance the Giants carry 4 TE's... the Green Bay offense in recent seasons love their tight ends.

I think Donnell took a lot of heat for that one catch where he ran out of the back of the endzone (well out), and a lot of people wrote him off. I think that was a bit unfair for a young player, but it was an embarrassing gaffe.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grimble ends up on practice squad.

It depends on Robinson. I think the Giants are not happy with his effort and commitment to get better, and they sent a message by having him behind Grimble on that depth chart. I think that is the first warning sign that Robinson is on the precipice of being cut if he does not have a big camp/preseason. Of course, it's possible that both Fells and Davis can be kept, and Grimble moved to the PS with Robinson cut. But this is a huge camp for Robinson, and Grimble has himself a legitimate opportunity if he can impress.

earlier today on grimble:

Connor Hughes @Connor_J_Hughes 32m

Talked a bit w/ Xavier Grimble who said he's coming along with injured hammy. Taking it day-by-day and getting as many mental reps as he can

Connor Hughes @Connor_J_Hughes 31m

Grimble said goal was to get smarter, not being able to practice hasn't hindered that. Also working on maintaining playing weight of 255/260

yeah, despite the earliness of these reports, despite the fact that next week everything could change...I think that the initial depth chart showing Robinson as the lowest of 5 guys was a clear message that the coaches think of Robinson much less favorablyas he might be by ownership. i think too, Robinson is on his way out.

Didn't think much of Larry Donnell last season in his limited game time. People thought he was Adrien Robinson when he first got on the field. Course we all have noticed Adrien Robinson is quickly turning into the Sinorice Moss of Tight Ends. Tight End is wide open and it won't be settled till Sept.

Didn't think much of Larry Donnell last season in his limited game time. People thought he was Adrien Robinson when he first got on the field. Course we all have noticed Adrien Robinson is quickly turning into the Sinorice Moss of Tight Ends. Tight End is wide open and it won't be settled till Sept.

Travis Beckham was the Sinorice Moss of TEs. Robinson wishes he was that useful.