So a few more days away from watching another SB with the Patriots in it, I've been reading up on free agents and some of their "market value"
There are quite a few defenders who can step in day one and make the defense something that isnt bottom of the NFL.
I tried to order them with who I wanted or felt like would make the biggest impact, and tried to just list one from a position.
1) Haha Clinton-Dix (FS) - Arguably the dumbest fucking name in the NFL at the moment besides "Taco" but he's a true FS who would take all the pressure in the world off of Collins (if he's resigned). Would probably be around 8-10 million a year, something the Giants could easily swing.
2) Preston Smith (OLB) - We need capable LBs and he's one that Giants have seen since 2015. Would be a huge addition to the LB core, can rush the passer and also play the pass. I would assume he would be in the same range as Clinton-Dix, but expect the 'Skins to be pushing to resign him hard as well.
3) Bryce Callahan (CB) - Former Bear hitting the FA market, was a hell of a slot corner and #2, he would help sure up the CB position while not costing an arm and a leg.
4) Jadeveon Clowney (DE/OLB) - It's obvious we need pass rushers on this team and this guy is one of them, would make the entire Dline better by just being on the field. Expect to pay upwards of 14+ million a year though.
5) Malcom Brown (DT/3-tech) - Would add some needed depth and starting experience to the DT position, not as big of a need as other positions but would probably come in at the 5-8 million a year range.
1) Ja'Wuan James (RT) - Was an every game starter for the Dolphins, and a good one at that. Would allow Wheeler to be able to be plugged in where needed with injuries. Probably the biggest signing I would want to have happen on the Offense, would be looking at a fairly large contract though.
2) Brian Paradis (Center) - Top 5 center the last number of years, went down with a season ending injury. I feel like bringing him in would be adding a leader to the Oline, as well as freeing up Hiphopalitto to be used else where on the line.
3) Devin Funchess (WR) - Would be a big threat across from OBJ, however this is all dependent on what they do with Shepard and his contract situation. I could see it happening simply because he was a Getty draft pick, but he's a play maker and a big target for Eli.
Assuming the Giants let Brown walk;
4) Mike Iupati (G) - Probably one of the best guards in the NFL, suffered a pretty nasty injury though near the end of the year and is in his 30s. Could still probably play at that level for a couple more years, look at a 6-7 million a year type of deal.
5) Aj Cann (G) - If the Giants can't land one of the better Oline FAs this year, Cann is a dependable starter who have been what you would expect out of your average starter in the NFL. Would come in on a multi-year deal for something reasonable and would replace Brown without anyone noticing.