SportsWrath

sorry folks

Herc

peavy's back, his shoulder is fine and he's had a great 2nd half, he threw a 2 hit, 1 run 2 walk comlete game with 14 k's last night. with david wells they're now four deep at starter and they hstill have the best bullpen in baseball. so let's kill this noise about the reds, marlins, etc. the wildcard is coming out of the NL west and the pads are gonna shock someone in the first round

peavy's back, his shoulder is fine and he's had a great 2nd half, he threw a 2 hit, 1 run 2 walk comlete game with 14 k's last night. with david wells they're now four deep at starter and they hstill have the best bullpen in baseball. so let's kill this noise about the reds, marlins, etc. the wildcard is coming out of the NL west and the pads are gonna shock someone in the first round

Don't be sorry. Just beat the Mets. Then the Yankees.

I like your attitude, and lots of luck. It's a tough race, but you guys are in the driver's seat right now. It'll probably come down to the hottest team in the last two weeks. (Captain obvious, but you know what I mean.)

Well, if you're going to make the playoffs I hope you win your division so the Mets can bypass you in the WC game.

Pedro-Peavy

Glavine-Young

El Duque/Trachsel-Williams/Hensely/Wells

Maine- Peavy

Pedro- Young

Some 5-game series it would be... just beat the Dodgers up. I'd much rather take my chances with Penny/Lowe/Maddux

awww, if wishing only could made it so.

reality: 2nd place in the wildcard by the afternoon of 9/10

Normally, with their pitching, I would say no. But it looks like they could slug their way there this year since no team seems to really have the horses to stop them.

I dont know about that. We have the hitting ofcourse, but our starters are not consistant and our BP will be overworked by that time, if not now. And as it seems lately, the Yanks have disaster written all over them for the playoffs, but we'll see.

the yanks and every other team have disaster written all over them, but someone always seems to step up for the yanks when their stars go down and this year it was wang, cano and cabrera. the yanks are gonna be SOOO deep in the playoffs, even if sheff or matsui can't play the field imagine either of them coming off the bench or DHing.

the only reason why the pads would have a shot in hell against the mets (and a small one at that) is because the mets starting pitching is hurting, otherwise it'd be an easy sweep. i'd much rather win the division and exact some revenge on the cards

the yanks and every other team have disaster written all over them, but someone always seems to step up for the yanks when their stars go down and this year it was wang, cano and cabrera. the yanks are gonna be SOOO deep in the playoffs, even if sheff or matsui can't play the field imagine either of them coming off the bench or DHing.

the only reason why the pads would have a shot in hell against the mets (and a small one at that) is because the mets starting pitching is hurting, otherwise it'd be an easy sweep. i'd much rather win the division and exact some revenge on the cards

Anyone can beat anybody in a 5 game series. The worst team in the league can beat the best team in the league in a 5 game series. That is the reason why I don't like the 5 game series. There should be a 7 game series throughout. Of course the Pads can beat the Mets, but only in a 5 gamer. That is something I would not be surprised about. Just look at the Yankees. The Padres better win that division if they wish to make the playoffs because the way the Phillies are playing, there might not be one team who can stop them. They are due to cool off.

The national league this year, with the exception of the Mets, is a swamp of mediocrity. everyone runs hot and cold. the hot team of one week becomes the 'not hot' of the next. i can't predict who will win the wildcard. but i would prefer to have the best starting pitching and a group of veterans going down the stretch. oh, and the best player ever heating up at the right time. ^_^

Anyone can beat anybody in a 5 game series. The worst team in the league can beat the best team in the league in a 5 game series. That is the reason why I don't like the 5 game series. There should be a 7 game series throughout. Of course the Pads can beat the Mets, but only in a 5 gamer. That is something I would not be surprised about. Just look at the Yankees. The Padres better win that division if they wish to make the playoffs because the way the Phillies are playing, there might not be one team who can stop them. They are due to cool off.

i'll take the pads with a 1.5 game lead, a 4 deep starting rotation and the best bullpen in baseball over a team being carried by ryan howard.

and if pedro and glavine are not pitching or not as effective cuz of injuries then i think the mets/pads is 50/50--5 gams or 7 games. in this scenario the pads have an ace and the mets don't, and the pads own the starting pitching edge in every game--and call me biased but i'll take a healthy peavy over a healthy pedro for games 1 and 4. peavy without shoulder tendinitis is the best pitcher in the national league, as evidenced by his last 6 weeks of work. the only edge the mets would have would be their lineup.

i'll take the pads with a 1.5 game lead, a 4 deep starting rotation and the best bullpen in baseball over a team being carried by ryan howard.

and if pedro and glavine are not pitching or not as effective cuz of injuries then i think the mets/pads is 50/50--5 gams or 7 games. in this scenario the pads have an ace and the mets don't, and the pads own the starting pitching edge in every game--and call me biased but i'll take a healthy peavy over a healthy pedro for games 1 and 4. peavy without shoulder tendinitis is the best pitcher in the national league, as evidenced by his last 6 weeks of work. the only edge the mets would have would be their lineup.

... and bullpen. If the Mets can get 6 or 7 innings from their starters with a lead, chances are the game is over.

... and bullpen. If the Mets can get 6 or 7 innings from their starters with a lead, chances are the game is over.

no chance. pads have a better bullpen. i'll take hoffman/meredith/linebrink over wagner/hernandez/heilman any day of the week, just look at the numbers

wagner 34 for 39 2.27 era

hoffman 36 for 40 1.94 era

hernandez 2.98 3 blown saves

meredith 0.84 era no blown saves

heilman 3.89 5 blown saves

linebrink 3.71 8 blown saves <--and this is an incredibly bad year for him too

hoffman also blew 4 of those saves in a 10 day span, he's been money the rest of the season. and the mets tried to trade for linebrink for their 8th inning man when duaner went down and he's only the hpads 7th inning man at this point

no chance. pads have a better bullpen. i'll take hoffman/meredith/linebrink over wagner/hernandez/heilman any day of the week, just look at the numbers

No chance? Go ahead and take a look at the numbers and you'll see the Mets have the best bullpen ERA in the majors.

wagner 34 for 39 2.27 era

hoffman 36 for 40 1.94 era

hernandez 2.98 3 blown saves

meredith 0.84 era no blown saves

heilman 3.89 5 blown saves

linebrink 3.71 8 blown saves <--and this is an incredibly bad year for him too

Since Duaner went down the only fixture has been Billy in the 9th. You're totally excluding Chad Bradford and Pedro Feliciano who play a major role in the Mets bullpen. Also, comparing Hernandez to anyway is a little out in left field only because he has a really questionable place on this team.

Since Duaner went down the only fixture has been Billy in the 9th. You're totally excluding Chad Bradford and Pedro Feliciano who play a major role in the Mets bullpen. Also, comparing Hernandez to anyway is a little out in left field only because he has a really questionable place on this team.

And Mota and Oliver, who has been great this season.

yeah and i left out alan embry, brian sweeney, scott cassidy, and jon adkins--all having good to great years. besides, he said a lead from the 6th or 7th on.

and it's not out of nowhere considering you traded your starting RF for hernandez because sanchez went down. if he's no longer your setup man then that's a real shame for your bullpen.

pads pitching staff leads the NL in ERA AND saves.

the teams are virtually tied in save percentage.

a big reason why the mets bullpen leads the league in ERA is because duanar sanchez, who won't be available for the rest of the season--so that stat really doens't mean anything going into the postseason.

our setup man is better, our closer is better (again)

yeah and i left out alan embry, brian sweeney, scott cassidy, and jon adkins--all having good to great years. besides, he said a lead from the 6th or 7th on.

and it's not out of nowhere considering you traded your starting RF for hernandez because sanchez went down. if he's no longer your setup man then that's a real shame for your bullpen.

pads pitching staff leads the NL in ERA AND saves.

the teams are virtually tied in save percentage.

a big reason why the mets bullpen leads the league in ERA is because duanar sanchez, who won't be available for the rest of the season--so that stat really doens't mean anything going into the postseason.

our setup man is better, our closer is better (again)

I don't know about that. Aaron Heilman has been lights out since assuming the "set up" role. And the stat does mean something going into the postseason. Again, if the Mets have a lead late in the game, there is a very good chance the bullpen will shut the door. They've been doing it all season. It's not just because of Sanchez they have had a successful bullpen all year long.

Also, the Mets very likely will use John Maine out of the pen in the postseason. If for some chance, Maine gets the starting nod over El Duque, then surely the Duke will see action out of the pen, and we all know what his postseason resume looks like. :TU:

It would be a good series, Mets-Padres, and hopefully Piazza doesn't kill us.

all this might not even matter, cuz the mets lineup is so good that they might pummel the pads starting pitching anyway. all im saying is that i like our SP and bullpen better.

Well they always say good pitching beats good hitting, that's why we need Pedro and Co. to be healthy.

I don't know about that. Aaron Heilman has been lights out since assuming the "set up" role. And the stat does mean something going into the postseason. Again, if the Mets have a lead late in the game, there is a very good chance the bullpen will shut the door. They've been doing it all season. It's not just because of Sanchez they have had a successful bullpen all year long.

Also, the Mets very likely will use John Maine out of the pen in the postseason. If for some chance, Maine gets the starting nod over El Duque, then surely the Duke will see action out of the pen, and we all know what his postseason resume looks like. :TU:

It would be a good series, Mets-Padres, and hopefully Piazza doesn't kill us.

yeah heilman's been a lot better lately, i'll give you that, but it's tough to ignore meredith, his ERA is unreal and he's 11 under in WHIP--i think htat translates to .60-something. and i've seen wagner blow postseason saves firsthand, we got to him in the '98 NLDS, yeah i know htat was a long time ago but i think that was his last time in the postseason and he was also a better pitcher back then too.