SportsWrath

Cabrera or Milledge

Ditto

Guest StrahansGap
Bashing Yankee "fans" has nothing to do with the Mets lack of success vs. the Yankees storied past. It's the way some Yankee "fans" feel they are superior because of it. Some, not all, Yankee "fans" are arrogant, brash, rude, and alot of times pretty ignorant about baseball. I know more about the Yankees than most Yankee "fans" I know. The ones that get bashed are the ones that say things like, "Mets suck because the Yankees have 26 WS titles". I can guarantee you everyone who posts on this message board has heard similar comments many times when talking baseball with a Yankee "fan". It usually comes out when that Yankee "fan" has nothing intelligent to say.

I am not knocking real Yankee fans out there. It's the Yankee "fans" I can't stand.

I was waching Steve Trout throw to Butch Wynegar while you were wetting your diapers.

I actually know exactly what you're talking about, and I respect the arguments that you have put up as compared to other Mets fans.

What I hate though, is when i present factual evidence as I have in this situation. Why must people shoot me down with lame ass responses? It's like most of you guys are a broken record and all you keep saying is "potential". I showed you they're both high rated prospects. This is baseball, a guy drafted in the 21st round could make it to the pros. Hell Piazza was drafted like in a round in the 40's. So, why do i keep getting these knuckleheaded, broken record responses?

I don't know. Most fans are biased is probably why. I've admitted that Melky has been better, but I also feel it's not the time to compare them, and it's not fair to judge Milledge on a month's worth of major league playing time.

I haven't put my 2 cents into this Cabrera/Milledge comparison yet. So here it is.

Melky has shown that he is a more then a reliable fielder, a huscler, and a solid all around player. He came up last year and looked like he didn't belong, but he worked on his skills to fix up his game and as been a major component for the Yanks this year. His knack for the clutch whether it's on defense or offense is what has Yanks fans extremely excited. He started out with the Yanks relatively hot on offense this year but cooled down for a good month or so when pitchers figured him out. But he has adapted his game so he could manage to hit off of those pitchers and has progressed as the year has gone on. He has been moved a lot around the lineup going from literally first to last in a matter of a day. But he has proven he can hit in those spots. However, he certainly is helped out by batting where he does in the lineup and being protected by great hitters. That's the advantage of being in the AL, especially a team like the Yankees.

Now Lastings Milledge. I probably have more info to offer with Lastings then Melky because I watch him nearly every time he plays. Lastings appears to be a fine player in his own right showing some flashes of what he could be consistently in the near future. He had a somewhat rough first term in the bigs, frustrating Mets fans with his inconsistency at the plate, confusion in the field, and potential attitude problems. Even though one or two things that he may have done were blown out of proportion by the media (hi-fiving fans after hitting a home run was made out to be first degree murder by the media), he looked a little bit full of himself at times too. However lately it appears that he has tuned down a bit and looks to be more enjoyable in the dugout and is saying the right things. As for his hitting, when he gets the bat on the ball, he hits it extremely hard. In his first career at bat, he hit a frozen rope right at Craig Counsell I think it was. Even though it was an out, the pitch was on the outside part of the plate and he has the plate coverage and bat speed to pull it extremely hard. I remember on one particular hit, he hit the ball so hard that against the D'backs on the road, he barely got it over the shortstops head and then it rolled all the way to the wall just because he hit it so hard. He certainly has some pop in his bat. That's for sure. And his outs it appears to be that he is almost on the pitch, but he gets under it and hits it a mile high. So he needs to tune up his batting a little bit. Now his fielding. We saw in Fenway how confused and just bad he looked. It doesn't look like he gets a good read on fly balls either. I don't know what to say about that, I hope with time that will be fixed. But he has an extremely strong arm. He had two OF assists that come to mind, throwing a guy out running to third in his second career game and he made a big throw against the Dodgers for a guy trying to go to second. Like Melky, Lastings showed that he also has a knack for the clutch. He had that 2 out game tying solo homer off of Benitez early in his short career. True, it is Benitez but still a nice display of power for his first career homer from the kid. He also had a homer that wrapped up the game against LAA not too much longer later.

I think comparing these two is stupid to be honest. Lastings and Melky are in totally different situations with the pitcher behind Lastings and legitimate hitter behind Melky. I'd rather have Nick Green batting behind me then Pedro Martinez, or any other pitcher for that matter. Lastings showed that with protection (courtesy of blue jeans) from Chavez who batted 8th that night, Lastings teed off and had 3 hits including a homer. So time will tell with him. Melky is now an everyday player while Lastings has been in a platoon all season long.

I haven't put my 2 cents into this Cabrera/Milledge comparison yet. So here it is.

Melky has shown that he is a more then a reliable fielder, a huscler, and a solid all around player. He came up last year and looked like he didn't belong, but he worked on his skills to fix up his game and as been a major component for the Yanks this year. His knack for the clutch whether it's on defense or offense is what has Yanks fans extremely excited. He started out with the Yanks relatively hot on offense this year but cooled down for a good month or so when pitchers figured him out. But he has adapted his game so he could manage to hit off of those pitchers and has progressed as the year has gone on. He has been moved a lot around the lineup going from literally first to last in a matter of a day. But he has proven he can hit in those spots. However, he certainly is helped out by batting where he does in the lineup and being protected by great hitters. That's the advantage of being in the AL, especially a team like the Yankees.

Now Lastings Milledge. I probably have more info to offer with Lastings then Melky because I watch him nearly every time he plays. Lastings appears to be a fine player in his own right showing some flashes of what he could be consistently in the near future. He had a somewhat rough first term in the bigs, frustrating Mets fans with his inconsistency at the plate, confusion in the field, and potential attitude problems. Even though one or two things that he may have done were blown out of proportion by the media (hi-fiving fans after hitting a home run was made out to be first degree murder by the media), he looked a little bit full of himself at times too. However lately it appears that he has tuned down a bit and looks to be more enjoyable in the dugout and is saying the right things. As for his hitting, when he gets the bat on the ball, he hits it extremely hard. In his first career at bat, he hit a frozen rope right at Craig Counsell I think it was. Even though it was an out, the pitch was on the outside part of the plate and he has the plate coverage and bat speed to pull it extremely hard. I remember on one particular hit, he hit the ball so hard that against the D'backs on the road, he barely got it over the shortstops head and then it rolled all the way to the wall just because he hit it so hard. He certainly has some pop in his bat. That's for sure. And his outs it appears to be that he is almost on the pitch, but he gets under it and hits it a mile high. So he needs to tune up his batting a little bit. Now his fielding. We saw in Fenway how confused and just bad he looked. It doesn't look like he gets a good read on fly balls either. I don't know what to say about that, I hope with time that will be fixed. But he has an extremely strong arm. He had two OF assists that come to mind, throwing a guy out running to third in his second career game and he made a big throw against the Dodgers for a guy trying to go to second. Like Melky, Lastings showed that he also has a knack for the clutch. He had that 2 out game tying solo homer off of Benitez early in his short career. True, it is Benitez but still a nice display of power for his first career homer from the kid. He also had a homer that wrapped up the game against LAA not too much longer later.

I think comparing these two is stupid to be honest. Lastings and Melky are in totally different situations with the pitcher behind Lastings and legitimate hitter behind Melky. I'd rather have Nick Green batting behind me then Pedro Martinez, or any other pitcher for that matter. Lastings showed that with protection (courtesy of blue jeans) from Chavez who batted 8th that night, Lastings teed off and had 3 hits including a homer. So time will tell with him. Melky is now an everyday player while Lastings has been in a platoon all season long.

What to add that Gateb didn't put already?

It's two different situations, and that is due to the leagues. As of now, Melky is batting with nick green behind him, although it used to be Damon (in the 9 spot) or Jeter (as leadoff). Melky usually has protection, while Pedro or El Duque won't do much for you when you're batting in front of them. Which brings up a good point:

Take the DH out of the AL. As a Yankee fan, I know this drastically hurts us. By removing the DH, leagues will be on an even playing field. All the talk of "The NL is a lesser league" will stop and it will make the game of baseball once again, the game of baseball.

Are you getting into your daddy's scotch, or what? Milledge is hitting in front of the pitcher because that's where he deserves to be. If they tried pitching around Melky, he'd merely draw more walks.

Wright batted in front of the pitcher or in the bottom of the lineup in some of his first full season in the majors or something like that. That's how we handle our prospects that are called up. We make them earn their way up in the lineup. When Milledge batted 2nd against the Phillies, he had a solid game with some very good ABs. I know that because I was there.

Also, Lastings only played two months in Triple AAA before being called up. He clearly didn't receive as much time at that level as he needed.

And if you knew anything you would know that Milledge actually has drawn a lot of walks, so that arguement with Melky walking is pointless.

When Milledge batted 2nd against the Phillies, he had a solid game with some very good ABs. I know that because I was there.

And if you knew anything you would know that Milledge actually has drawn a lot of walks, so that arguement with Melky walking is pointless.

Yeah? Well, when we tried to bat A-Rod in front of Giambi, it didn't do any good. :(

Melky merely draws a lot of walks for a rookie, and only because he's selective for a rookie. Therefore, it is not pointless.

Yeah? Well, when we tried to bat A-Rod in front of Giambi, it didn't do any good. :(

Melky merely draws a lot of walks for a rookie, and only because he's selective for a rookie. Therefore, it is not pointless.

So does Milledge. I said it was pointless to bring that up because the other guy in this arguement draws a lot of walks too. Milledge virtually came up straight from Double AA, making him very inexperienced at a high level.

A guy like Melky is gonna be a good player but is over achieving right now. the reason for much of melky's success is becuz he gets pitches to hit. pitchers must pitch around hitters in the yankee line up like Giambi and then r put in situations where they must pitch to hitters like Melky and Posada and Cano. I'm not dissin Melky but hes over achieving. i think the mets should've definitely traded heilman and Milledge to the A's for Zito when they had the chance

A guy like Melky is gonna be a good player but is over achieving right now. the reason for much of melky's success is becuz he gets pitches to hit. pitchers must pitch around hitters in the yankee line up like Giambi and then r put in situations where they must pitch to hitters like Melky and Posada and Cano. I'm not dissin Melky but hes over achieving. i think the mets should've definitely traded heilman and Milledge to the A's for Zito when they had the chance

Why? When Zito will be in uniform come Spring Training '07 and we have our future closer? and future OF.

Why? When Zito will be in uniform come Spring Training '07 and we have our future closer? and future OF.

Milledge isnt gonna be as good as people think. between his attitude and he really hasnt shown anythnig playing wise. and If Heilman is ur future closer i pity u.

What to add that Gateb didn't put already?

It's two different situations, and that is due to the leagues. As of now, Melky is batting with nick green behind him, although it used to be Damon (in the 9 spot) or Jeter (as leadoff). Melky usually has protection, while Pedro or El Duque won't do much for you when you're batting in front of them. Which brings up a good point:

Take the DH out of the AL. As a Yankee fan, I know this drastically hurts us. By removing the DH, leagues will be on an even playing field. All the talk of "The NL is a lesser league" will stop and it will make the game of baseball once again, the game of baseball.

Not to mention interesting things happen when the pitcher bats. You never know. You can get a homer like you did out of Trachsel. You can hit a triple like you did out of El Duque. And you can hit 2 home runs in 4 ABs against a certain pitcher like Arroyo did. That pumps up a team and the crowd, and makes for a more interesting game.

Milledge and Heilman for Zito would've been stupid. We need to give Lastings some time, unlike we did with some of our other prospects. And we'd have no financial security with Zito, he could've left the club the next year for the Yanks and then we lost all 3 of the guys.

I'd rather just take a shot on him in FA and keep our talented prospects.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Aaron is our future closer. But I do foresee him being a solid player in this club whether it's in the pen or even if he is starting.

Speaking of future closer, I wouldn't mind us calling Henry Owens up for September call ups. His first outing he struck out the side right?

I personally do not like Zito. Since his 2002 Cy Young, he has not been the same pitcher. Although most AL pitchers that go to NL usually own, you cannot assume that will happen with Zito.

Also remember last season when the Yankes brought up Chien-Ming Wang. He pitched great during the first half, but then tore his rotator cuff or something. Many Yankees fans were begging Cashman to trade the highly touted rookie for great veterans at the trade deadline, but Cashman didn't budge. This season, he leads the Yankes in wins. Minaya made the right move in not trading Milledge.

Although, if it was Milledge for Dontrelle Willis straight up, you can't pass on that. Willis is about 25 and would have double the amount of wins of he pitched for a good team