SportsWrath

Cabrera or Milledge

Ditto

mets fans dont know much about cabrera. There has been buzz about him for awhile in the yanks farm system. He also hit .385 in AAA in 122 at bats with 4 homers and 24 rbis.

You cant ignore what Melky has done, he's more proven at this point. However I dont like this question and would like it if we waited a year or 2.

mets fans dont know much about cabrera. There has been buzz about him for awhile in the yanks farm system. He also hit .385 in AAA in 122 at bats with 4 homers and 24 rbis.

You cant ignore what Melky has done, he's more proven at this point. However I dont like this question and would like it if we waited a year or 2.

I agree. Melky has proven more, but I think that Milledge's ceiling is much higher. We have to wait.

June 4, 2006 -- IT WAS less than a month ago, at Cooper Stadium in Columbus, that Lastings Milledge and Melky Cabrera faced one another. They seemed, even then, far away from the majors, further from being important figures in a pennant race.

Yet here they are, just 21, with Norfolk, Columbus and Triple-A in the rearview mirror. Both are starting for New York teams and maybe starting something else: A long-running debate. Lastings vs. Melky, Melky vs. Lastings.

"It's hard to say who is better," said Mets hitting coach Rick Down. "They are both tremendous. Melky has the better arm, Lastings runs faster. But you start adding it up and what you have are two good players who can be mainstays in this city for years and New York fans can argue about who is better forever."

Down is in a unique position to make the assessment. He is Milledge's hitting coach now, and was the Yankees' coordinator of instruction in 2004 and watched Cabrera regularly play in the Florida State League for Tampa. He knows Milledge has been near the top of every prospect list for a few years now and Cabrera hasn't. Cabrera was not even in Baseball America's preseason Top 10 of the Yankees' diminished farm system. But, Down says, that is why such lists should not be treated as bibles.

"I love Melky," Down said. "I'd take Melky in a heartbeat. Melky can play."

It is an instinct he had about Cabrera from 2004. That is why, he says, he is not surprised Cabrera is seizing opportunity. Down ticks off attributes. Switch-hitter. Good from both sides. Superb hitting eye. Excellent arm. Good speed. Good kid.

In less than a month, Cabrera has gone from the 20-year-old who with an embarrassing major league cameo last year to an integral part of the Yanks' M*A*S*H unit. He still has fewer than 100 plate appearances, so slumps, adjustments and the need to prove this is all for real lurk.

Nevertheless, the Yanks are no longer talking about sending him down when Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield heal. They love his precocious discipline and his accurate throws. The Yanks are thrilled that at their moment of desperation, Cabrera has, at the very least, shown he should have gained more respect on those prospect lists.

The Mets were not desperate when summoning Milledge. They were a first-place team playing well. Still, they saw opportunity. Xavier Nady had his appendix removed and there was a low-pressure month available to gauge Milledge. The Mets maintain that when Nady returns, he will be the starter again.

But that is just something said to keep stress off of Milledge. Why fill his head with possibilities and risk that he will press in trying to impress? As Down said, "I'm sure he could (play his way into a full-time job). You like to think someone is not going to lose their job because of injury, but if (Milledge) hits .400, he is going to put pressure on people to keep him here.

So far that has not happened. In yesterday's doubleheader opener, a 5-3 loss to the Giants, Milledge was hitless in three at-bats with two strikeouts and also had a hideous overthrow in the field. He has one hit in 11 major league at-bats. He did show his speed in the Mets' 3-2 nightcap victory, tagging and scoring the winning run on an 11th-inning shallow fly to right.

Overall, Down remains encouraged, emphasizing Milledge's ability to rise "to big occasions." When the pitching was best in the minors or in spring training, Down says, so was Milledge.

Therefore, Down does not expect Milledge to be overwhelmed by this challenge. He has fast legs, a fast bat and now may be on the fast track.

"If you get here and play well, you put pressure on people," Milledge said.

Milledge also said he is not surprised at all about Cabrera, against whom he has played at Double-A and Triple-A. Cabrera homered twice in that series at Cooper Stadium less than a month ago, "tore the cover off the ball" as Milledge remembers. That was in the International League. In less than a month, the Mets and Yanks will play Interleague and perhaps for the first time in New York we will see Lastings vs. Melky, Melky vs. Lastings.

joel.sherman@nypost.com

cabrera's been better than expected, but not THAT much better. milledge has already had a huge homerun and an incredible assist on a throw to 3rd from RF, and he's had way less at bats. milledge has a much higher ceiling

Years ago, the dispute was between Mantle and Mays. Now it'll be Cabrera and Milledge for awhile. Natch, being a Yankee fan, I'm picking Cabrera, at least for the next couple of years.

Very insightful, keep up the good work :TU:

Upside and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. It doesn’t always make it. They both have to learn to hit major league pitching. Some never do. And as far as power goes, I think Melky will show some once he does learn the pitching better and fills out.

As of right now, if Cabs and Milledge were on the Mets, Cabs would be playing, and Milledge would still be warming the bench.

Upside and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. It doesn’t always make it. They both have to learn to hit major league pitching. Some never do. And as far as power goes, I think Melky will show some once he does learn the pitching better and fills out.

As of right now, if Cabs and Milledge were on the Mets, Cabs would be playing, and Milledge would still be warming the bench.

You are out of your frigging mind.

Offer Melky straight up for Zito and see if Beane bites. Offer Milledge up for Zito and Barry is starting for the Mets his next time through the rotation.

No one is saying that Cabrera is not going to be a good player, but based on pure talent and athletic ability Millidge is far superior. Any scout, manager, coach, GM will tell you that.

For once take your Yankee blinders off, its ok if the Mets have something that is or might be better than the Yanks. DO not worry Mariano and AROD are still better than the Mets closer and 3Bmen. The more posts you create that show your insecurity towards the Mets shows the lack of true knowledge you posses.

Offer Melky straight up for Zito and see if Beane bites. Offer Milledge up for Zito and Barry is starting for the Mets his next time through the rotation.

No one is saying that Cabrera is not going to be a good player, but based on pure talent and athletic ability Millidge is far superior. Any scout, manager, coach, GM will tell you that.

For once take your Yankee blinders off, its ok if the Mets have something that is or might be better than the Yanks. DO not worry Mariano and AROD are still better than the Mets closer and 3Bmen. The more posts you create that show your insecurity towards the Mets shows the lack of true knowledge you posses.

Wow, that's exactly what I was thinking but I could'nt have said it better myself.

cabrera has a pretty strong arm, led the international league in hitting before being called up at .385, has already proven himself in like 100 more at bats. Milledge may have a higher ceiling but as of right now, cabrera is more proven. You can talk ceiling all you want, but thats like guessing. Until he gets there you cant say he's a better player. a Better prospect? yes, milledge is a better prospect. But as of right now, cabrera is a more proven player.

cabrera has a pretty strong arm, led the international league in hitting before being called up at .385, has already proven himself in like 100 more at bats. Milledge may have a higher ceiling but as of right now, cabrera is more proven. You can talk ceiling all you want, but thats like guessing. Until he gets there you cant say he's a better player. a Better prospect? yes, milledge is a better prospect. But as of right now, cabrera is a more proven player.

has already proven himself in like 100 more at bats :LMAO:

That is an oxymoron.

Ever hear of kevn Maas?

Comparing a guy with 100 at bats and declaring him a more proven player compared to a guy with 19 at bats is as assinine as I have read on this board.

Neither are proven and 100 at bats is hardly a measure of anything. How about those great power numbers in 100 at bats? My god its sickening how Yankee fans place these blinders on and come up with this shit.

has already proven himself in like 100 more at bats :LMAO:

That is an oxymoron.

Ever hear of kevn Maas?

Comparing a guy with 100 at bats and declaring him a more proven player compared to a guy with 19 at bats is as assinine as I have read on this board.

Neither are proven and 100 at bats is hardly a measure of anything. How about those great power numbers in 100 at bats? My god its sickening how Yankee fans place these blinders on and come up with this shit.

the power will come. and wait since when did milledge have more power now. he hit 1 home run.

Milledge in the international league hit .291 with 4 homers and 19 rbi's in 182 at bats

Cabrera in the international league hit .385 with 4 homers and 24 rbi's in 122 at bats

in the majors

Cabrera is hitting .295 with 12 rbi's in 88 at bats with 2 sb's, yes melky can run too

Milledge is hitting .316 with a homer and 4 rbi's in 19 at bats

all i am saying is as of right now, they're closer then you guys are making it out to be.

the power will come. and wait since when did milledge have more power now. he hit 1 home run.

Milledge in the international league hit .291 with 4 homers and 19 rbi's in 182 at bats

Cabrera in the international league hit .385 with 4 homers and 24 rbi's in 122 at bats

in the majors

Cabrera is hitting .295 with 12 rbi's in 88 at bats with 2 sb's, yes melky can run too

Milledge is hitting .316 with a homer and 4 rbi's in 19 at bats

all i am saying is as of right now, they're closer then you guys are making it out to be.

Like i said, ask a scout, gm, manager who they take?

I could care less about the stats now, Milledge spent no time in AAA in 05 and will be back down there as soon as Nady comes back.

Cabrera will undoubtedly have better major league stats in 06 as he will be here the rest of the year, Milledge has about 10 more days.

Did Beane say he would trade Zito for Milledge? I find that hard to believe. Not unless the A's are 10 games out at the All Star break. Milledge has a lot of holes, potential... but a lot of holes.

Milledge will be busted for cocaine use 4 times in his career, while Melky will go on to break Joe D's 56 streak, top Bonds homeruns in a single season, throw 4 no-hitters, become the first 60-60 man, and all the while manage the Yankees.

I can see the future..

Like i said, ask a scout, gm, manager who they take?

I could care less about the stats now, Milledge spent no time in AAA in 05 and will be back down there as soon as Nady comes back.

Cabrera will undoubtedly have better major league stats in 06 as he will be here the rest of the year, Milledge has about 10 more days.

We are finally on the same page here xxi-xxv.

I think you said Beane would accept Milledge for Zito before, and that is correct. Melky for Zito is not even considered an offer.

Stats mean nothing as of now. With the lack of games thus far, it is definitly unclear what either one will do. Melky has shown great patience at the plate for a rookie. His power has not shown yet. He will probobly be like Cano next season, high battign average and alot of hits.

Milledge has flashed his power. Although 19 at bats is no indication, the hype has been much higher than Melky's. With Floyd not producing, it is obvoius Milledge will be playing full time very soon. The only problem i could see happening with Milledge is his attitude, and i'm not talking about the incidentafter his home run. Milledge knows there is alot of hype surrounding him. If he does not produce, he will lose patience and hope, and this can be tough escpecially for a rookie.

But, Milledge will most likely produce as expected, and the Mets should have a corner outifielder for eyars to come, if he's not traded.

^^Coming from a Yankee fan.

Sorry to piss you off, young fella. Don’t take these threads too seriously. There just designed to for some discussion and a little trash talk. No need to act like an asshole about it.

PS I assume you heard about the catch. Do you think Milledge can cover that much ground? Do you think he'll even try?

PS2 I also assume you heard about the run he stole the night before from an experience D.

Okay, I am trying to piss you off. But you've been asking for it.

Sorry to piss you off, young fella. Don’t take these threads too seriously. There just designed to for some discussion and a little trash talk. No need to act like an asshole about it.

PS I assume you heard about the catch. Do you think Milledge can cover that much ground? Do you think he'll even try?

PS2 I also assume you heard about the run he stole the night before from an experience D.

Okay, I am trying to piss you off. But you've been asking for it.

Milledge can cover that much ground and more, he's not a punk.