SportsWrath

Knicks and Magic close to a trade that would bring Stevie Francis to NY

Goliath

Knicks Close In On Francis Trade

21st February, 2006 - 4:16 pm

SI.com - The Knicks and Magic are close to a deal that would send three-time All-Star guard Steve Francis to New York for a package of players, according to two league sources. Details of the trade were still being worked out, according to one of the sources, who emphasized that it had yet to be completed. The Magic apparently have decided to wait until the last minute before Thursday's trade deadline to see if any better offers come up.

If the trade goes through, it would represent yet another high-profile acquisition for Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who already has added Larry Brown, Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry and Jalen Rose this season alone. The 6-foot-3 Francis has averaged 19.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 6.4 assists over his seven-year NBA career. He would join Stephon Marbury to form a backcourt with a combined five All-Star appearances.

The Knicks apparently are ready to send three players, including two regular members of the rotation, to Orlando in the deal. Neither team's officials will comment on any ongoing trade talks, but it is likely Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor would be included. The Magic are in a rebuilding mode, and the 6-5 Crawford is considered an intriguing young talent who would be able to step in and help fill the team's hole at shooting guard. Taylor would likely be included to help make the salaries match Francis' $13.7 million a year

I don't really get it. We're not making the playoffs, we'd be adding another ballhog and an older player (but that's the least of our problems). Hey Zeke, YOU SUCK

Knicks Close In On Francis Trade

21st February, 2006 - 4:16 pm

SI.com - The Knicks and Magic are close to a deal that would send three-time All-Star guard Steve Francis to New York for a package of players, according to two league sources. Details of the trade were still being worked out, according to one of the sources, who emphasized that it had yet to be completed. The Magic apparently have decided to wait until the last minute before Thursday's trade deadline to see if any better offers come up.

If the trade goes through, it would represent yet another high-profile acquisition for Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who already has added Larry Brown, Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry and Jalen Rose this season alone. The 6-foot-3 Francis has averaged 19.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 6.4 assists over his seven-year NBA career. He would join Stephon Marbury to form a backcourt with a combined five All-Star appearances.

The Knicks apparently are ready to send three players, including two regular members of the rotation, to Orlando in the deal. Neither team's officials will comment on any ongoing trade talks, but it is likely Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor would be included. The Magic are in a rebuilding mode, and the 6-5 Crawford is considered an intriguing young talent who would be able to step in and help fill the team's hole at shooting guard. Taylor would likely be included to help make the salaries match Francis' $13.7 million a year

I don't really get it. We're not making the playoffs, we'd be adding another ballhog and an older player (but that's the least of our problems). Hey Zeke, YOU SUCK

I live in next to Orlando, and trust me Francis is nothing but a turnover machine... he "occasionally" has a good game... never anything that special... the players that the Knicks want to trade, are they any good?

what the hell is Isiah thinking????

I dont want Francis! I dont even want Marbury...DAMN!!!

I would honestly rather have Crawford than Francis because Crawford is unselfish, a great teamate, gives it his all, is younger, cheaper, and is a very good shooter.

Francis is basically a more selfish Marbury who cant shoot

I live in next to Orlando, and trust me Francis is nothing but a turnover machine... he "occasionally" has a good game... never anything that special... the players that the Knicks want to trade, are they any good?

Trust me, we all know that. Especially if the Knicks are going to trade for him. This is reminding me more of the Yankees from the late 70s to late 80s more and more. Except they actually won.

I'm a die-hard Knick fan, but I can tell you that they could get the best player in the country at every position, being coached by the best coach in the country and they would still be a .500 team. I've never seen anything like it. They are loaded with talent as it is and they already have Brown as their coach and they just plain suck, night after night after night.

If they make the trade it will make no difference. The Knicks have just plain forgotten how to win.

The first thing they should do is get rid of Isaiah. He's impetuous and makes trades for trades sake. He trades up and comers for old has beens. As soon as the team starts to gel, he trades away one of the meat-and-potatoes guys. We'd be in the lottery game this year if it wasn't for the fact that Isaiah traded away our no.1 pick without "lottery insurance".......................hmmmmm, I'm getting pissed just talkin about it :furious:

Knicks suck...Knick fans do you know that not only will your choice be a lottery pick for Chi...that Chi has the right to swap picks with you also next year, lottery unprotected?

I'm glad golieth feels its so important not to move this ...it shows his childish priorities.

Remember to wash your hands .

Edited by Blader

I have a feeling that we're losing one of the rookies tomorrow as well, most likely David Lee...figures Thomas would trade a hard working white guy that plays defense and knows the game. I know Nate won the dunk contest -big friggin deal - but i'd much rather see him go. Aside from some wildly entertaining plays, he's worthless.

Easy to say when you're in its basement...I'm SURE you'd be singing a different tune if it were the other way around....you sound like a sore loser.

Do the Nets have a title shot? I already know the Knicks don't...not for a long long time.

it wont make the knicks a playoff team but come on, they definitely get the better of this deal if it's just crawford and mo taylor, they get rid of two overpaid players, only one of whom contributes to the team (inconsistently i might add). if those two are all you have to give up then i say give the marbury/francis experiment a shot