SportsWrath

Report: Bonds Flunked Drug Test

Plow

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2727325

NEW YORK -- Barry Bonds failed a test for amphetamines last season and originally blamed it on a teammate, the Daily News reported Thursday.

When first informed of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker, the New York City newspaper said, citing several unnamed sources.

"I have no comment on that," Bonds' agent Jeff Borris told the Daily News on Wednesday night.

"Mark was made aware of the fact that his name had been brought up," Sweeney's agent Barry Axelrod told the Daily News. "But he did not give Barry Bonds anything, and there was nothing he could have given Barry Bonds."

Bonds, who has always maintained he never has tested positive for illegal drug use, is already under investigation for lying about steroid use.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether the 42-year-old Bonds perjured himself when he testified in 2003 in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid distribution case that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. The San Francisco Giants slugger told a 2003 federal grand jury that he believed his trainer Greg Anderson had provided him flaxseed oil and arthritic balm, not steroids.

Under baseball's amphetamines policy, which went into effect last season, players are not publicly identified for a first positive test. A second positive test for amphetamines results in a 25-game suspension. The first failed steroids test costs a player 50 games.

Bonds did not appeal the positive test, which made him subject to six drug tests by MLB over the next six months, according to the Daily News.

"We're not in a position to confirm or deny, obviously," MLB spokesman Rich Levin told the Daily News.

According to the newspaper, Sweeney learned of the Bonds' positive test from Gene Orza, chief operating officer of the Major League Baseball Players Association. Orza told Sweeney, the paper said, that he should remove any troublesome substances from his locker and should not share said substances. Sweeney said there was nothing of concern in his locker, according to the Daily News' sources.

An AP message for Sweeney was not immediately returned late Wednesday.

The Giants are still working to finalize complicated language in the slugger's $16 million, one-year contract for next season -- a process that has lasted almost a month since he agreed to the deal Dec. 7 on the last day of baseball's winter meetings.

The language still being negotiated concerns the left fielder's compliance with team rules, as well as what would happen if he were to be indicted or have other legal troubles.

Borris has declined to comment on the negotiations. He didn't immediately return a message from the AP on Wednesday night.

The 42-year-old Bonds is set to begin his 15th season with the Giants only 22 home runs shy of surpassing Hank Aaron's career record of 755.

Bonds, considered healthy again following offseason surgery on his troublesome left elbow, has spent 14 of his 21 big-league seasons with San Francisco and helped the Giants draw 3 million fans in all seven seasons at their waterfront ballpark.

After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs in 367 at-bats in 2006. He passed Babe Ruth to move into second place on the career home run list May 28.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

At this point with Barry there's a lot of black smoke. Between the Game of Shadows book, the physicaly changes, the stat changes, having his best years from when he was 35-40 yrs old, and now this.

Seriously, are the Giants really gonna go through with it and finalize a contract with this guy? Don't they have any shame? The guy continues cheating when everybody knows he's a cheater. Do they really care that he breaks the record in a Giant uniform? To me, that's more of an embarrassment to the organization than anything else.

Seriously, are the Giants really gonna go through with it and finalize a contract with this guy? Don't they have any shame? The guy continues cheating when everybody knows he's a cheater. Do they really care that he breaks the record in a Giant uniform? To me, that's more of an embarrassment to the organization than anything else.

looks like it actually is going to hold up the deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2728123

I don't care how unfair it is to Bonds, I want to see him out of baseball, lynched, and mobbed before he gets any closer to that record. Even if it bites them in the ass for this year, the Giants should part way with Bonds and just sign some of the surplus of OF available now...granted none approach Bonds, but this is a changed man. The Giants should pursue one of the CF FAs heavily next year...maybe Ichiro wants to stay on the West Coast (granted he wants to go to a winner). But yah, Bonds is following in Palmeiro's footsteps, blaming Tejada.

you're a smug little bastard, arent ya?

Haha, I apologize, I didn't mean it that way. Ichiro is seriously consider leaving the Mariners because they can't contend and unless the Giants can prove that they can win this year without Bonds, I doubt Ichiro would consider them strongly. It's hard to predict where people will go next year because honestly, can you imagine Ichiro, Jones, or Hunter in any other uniform?

Haha, I apologize, I didn't mean it that way. Ichiro is seriously consider leaving the Mariners because they can't contend and unless the Giants can prove that they can win this year without Bonds, I doubt Ichiro would consider them strongly. It's hard to predict where people will go next year because honestly, can you imagine Ichiro, Jones, or Hunter in any other uniform?

i know for a fact that ichiro's favorite sushi restaurant is in san francisco.

Don't all athletes get identified with one name anyway?

And I really hate this discussion. I just want to watch a baseball game with nothing else going around it. Just good old fashioned baseball.

Screw BALCO. Because of them I never got to see the true way baseball is played.

Don't all athletes get identified with one name anyway?

And I really hate this discussion. I just want to watch a baseball game with nothing else going around it. Just good old fashioned baseball.

Screw BALCO. Because of them I never got to see the true way baseball is played.

You could go to one of those old time baseball games.

i think it's because suzuki is a very common name in his country. he's a shy and unassuming guy.

Yah, figured that, but he's in the states now. Names are backwards too, aren't they? Family name followed by given name? Or am I mixing this up...