SportsWrath

Cowboys in 2012

Cowboyz

And I think aside from the Patriots fans and some Dallas fans all of the world was rooting for us. I will never forget that day till the day I die... I honestly don't think Cowboyz thinks it's a fluke... I think he knows we owned the Pats.. our D played a superb game.. and Eli completed a lot more than that epic reception by Tyree... our O Line held the line and our D line bent theirs inwards and backwards... Fuck.. go back to the game before that.. how cold was it that day? On the road.. in Green Bay.. that fucking game was Epic.. Thanks Tyne you fuck... Plax played lights out.. and Eli was throwing every pass... Should we go back one more week? To Dallas? Dallas was very good that year... they were picked to win it all no? We were the underdogs.. and BOTH teams played a great game... Romo, I think, was one completion away from having a different outcome to that game.. (forgot who the dude is who dropped a wide open pass in the open)... but you can't tell me the Giants didn't beat the cowboys that day.. in their own house... Fuck those fucking games were no fluke.. and ALL THE COWBOYS know it.

bwahahahahahahahahhahaha.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0oZCjxoHzk&feature=related

Do you remember the first game between our teams in 2009, when a pass by Romo hit the back of Jason Witten's foot, and bounced right into the hands of Phillips? (I know you do, I still curse some of the plays Jim Jeffcoat made.) THAT was a fluke play--there was no skill involved, just being in the right place at the right time. In Nick's rookie season, he had a touchdown by catching in stride a pass that was defensed and knocked about 20 yards down field. That was a fluke.

I simply don't consider those and the play you described in the same category as the Superbowl play; or for that matter, the Brandon Lloyd catch I posted.

can we just stop with all the comparison plays? is this a fluke, is that a fluke?

we're talking about one play, and 50 other plays have been thrown at me as examples.

the inherent problem here is it's all a matter of opinion. there is no litmus test for what is and what is not a fluke.

my opinion is a popular one. google 'tyree catch fluke', and you'll get 295,000 hits.

your opinion is not as popular, as it's mainly held by giants fans.

i'm sure you think i'm being biased as a boyz fan, but then again your all biased as gint fans as well.

coincidentally, my opinion is the same as the two players involved.

harrison "Not in a million years does he makes that catch again."

tyree "There's no reasonable explanation," Tyree said. "God? Angels? I'm just happy to be a part of history."

btw neither here nor there, but have you heard tyree say he'd trade the catch to stop gay marriage? :confused:

And I think aside from the Patriots fans and some Dallas fans all of the world was rooting for us. I will never forget that day till the day I die... I honestly don't think Cowboyz thinks it's a fluke...

i'm sorry buddy, you're wrong. i def think that play was a fluke.

Every season for every team, good or bad ones, involve close games where the outcome can be swung in either direction by one or two plays. Inherently, some measure of 'luck', either good or bad, becomes a factor in outcomes. A team that wins a championship, however, has been great consistently enough to mitigate the influence of luck on the team. At some point, a team that is in a championship game has done enough good things consistently to have the fluke label discarded.

The Tyree catch came on 3rd down. Sure, 3rd and long. But the Giants would've gone for it on 4th and the outcome may have been the same. Plaxico still had to shake Hobbs, (I think it was Hobbs) and haul in that beautiful rainbow. But the game was still not over. Webster had to break up that long pass to Moss on the next series, which I think was one of the most athletic plays of the game by a single player, and often gets overlooked for it's importance. Alford still has to make the sack on Brady.

Brady scoffed at Plaxico's prediction saying the Pats would score only 17 points. Plax ended up giving the Pats too much credit. You can't say a Super Bowl winning team is a fluke... they went on the road and physically put a pounding on teams that were supposed to be superior to them. Then they literally stopped the highest scoring offense in NFL history in their tracks. The Giants deserved that Super Bowl win.

Back to the Cowboys, just as Super Bowl winning teams have been consistently great enough to shake a fluke label, Romo has been just as consistent in choking games away. All this talk about Witten, Bryant (a terrific WR, for sure), and Miles Austin... it doesn't matter if your QB can not out play the other team's guy. Here's Marcellus Bennett calling for Jon Kitna to start over Romo. JON KITNA! The Cowboys do have some championship pieces, but you can say that about most teams, year after year. They do not have a championship caliber QB, and that is the most important piece in deciding the fate of a team. And the second is defense. The Cowboys do not have a good defense. They have Ware and Ratliff. Bradie James is pretty good, too. Newman is aging and is probably best served as a nickel corner these days. Mike Jenkins is a knucklehead. He has some talent, but he's not an upper echelon corner. Ask the '09 Giants if you can win with a bad secondary.

As far as our MLB situation you have mentioned... I don't remember our MLB covering tight ends very often. Besides, in the game that you guys won against us last year, Witten had 1 catch for 7 yards. You should want Bryant and Austin to get the ball a lot more than Witten. More often that not, it's going to be one of our talented safeties though or Michael Boley who covers Witten. While Witten is a rare talent that can win most matchups with just about anybody, it's not like I'm scared of him dominating us, either. We have a good defense and a good coordinator that can scheme. We have talented corners, good safeties, and a spectacular pass rush. The Cowboys fall short in that comparison in every regard. The linebacker situation is unsettled. But in our defense, linebackers are much less critical than in your team's defense. We play a LOT of 4-2-5. Boley gets a lot of criticism on this board and elsewhere, but he's a very good coverage linebacker and he has not been the problem on this team the last couple of seasons. We could upgrade our MLB position, for sure, but we just drafted a guy who was extremely productive in the Big Ten, Greg Jones out of Michigan State. He may be the answer, maybe not. But this is not a make or break position in our defense. With the talent we have up front and in the secondary, we just need a guy there who's going to be good enough, we don't need a perennial pro bowler there.

It's kind of funny to me that a Cowboys' fan would come here and talk smack after recent seasons they've had, last year in particular. They've seemingly been the preseason favorite, paper champs every year, and then they go out and fail to meet expectations. Maybe it's time to stop crowing in the preseason, you think?

Do you remember the first game between our teams in 2009, when a pass by Romo hit the back of Jason Witten's foot, and bounced right into the hands of Phillips? (I know you do, I still curse some of the plays Jim Jeffcoat made.) THAT was a fluke play--there was no skill involved, just being in the right place at the right time. In Nick's rookie season, he had a touchdown by catching in stride a pass that was defensed and knocked about 20 yards down field. That was a fluke.

I simply don't consider those and the play you described in the same category as the Superbowl play; or for that matter, the Brandon Lloyd catch I posted.

it's such a fine line. the dog thinks the flutie to phelan hail mary in college is a good example to gauge this by. there wasn't a tip that went up in the air to a receiver who was in the right place at the right time. there was flutie heaving a long pass to a group of players that somehow landed without being touched into the hands of a waiting receiver behind the other players. an extremely low percentage play that because of chance circumstances, fell right for BC. a play that required skill on both the QB and receivers part, but a fluke play none the less. the dog would put tyree's catch in the same category. in fact, tyree's catch wasn't even a designed play. great play that demonstrated great concentration and athleticism, but still a fluke play that was due to a chance happening...in the end, it is what makes sports great - plays like this. Still falls under the category of fluke...in the dog's opinion anyway.

can we just stop with all the comparison plays? is this a fluke, is that a fluke?

we're talking about one play, and 50 other plays have been thrown at me as examples.

the inherent problem here is it's all a matter of opinion. there is no litmus test for what is and what is not a fluke.

my opinion is a popular one. google 'tyree catch fluke', and you'll get 295,000 hits.

your opinion is not as popular, as it's mainly held by giants fans.

i'm sure you think i'm being biased as a boyz fan, but then again your all biased as gint fans as well.

coincidentally, my opinion is the same as the two players involved.

harrison "Not in a million years does he makes that catch again."

tyree "There's no reasonable explanation," Tyree said. "God? Angels? I'm just happy to be a part of history."

btw neither here nor there, but have you heard tyree say he'd trade the catch to stop gay marriage? :confused:

But you understand by virtue of being our rival, you calling it a "fluke" comes off more as sour grapes than anything else right?

Every season for every team, good or bad ones, involve close games where the outcome can be swung in either direction by one or two plays. Inherently, some measure of 'luck', either good or bad, becomes a factor in outcomes. A team that wins a championship, however, has been great consistently enough to mitigate the influence of luck on the team. At some point, a team that is in a championship game has done enough good things consistently to have the fluke label discarded.

The Tyree catch came on 3rd down. Sure, 3rd and long. But the Giants would've gone for it on 4th and the outcome may have been the same. Plaxico still had to shake Hobbs, (I think it was Hobbs) and haul in that beautiful rainbow. But the game was still not over. Webster had to break up that long pass to Moss on the next series, which I think was one of the most athletic plays of the game by a single player, and often gets overlooked for it's importance. Alford still has to make the sack on Brady.

Brady scoffed at Plaxico's prediction saying the Pats would score only 17 points. Plax ended up giving the Pats too much credit. You can't say a Super Bowl winning team is a fluke... they went on the road and physically put a pounding on teams that were supposed to be superior to them. Then they literally stopped the highest scoring offense in NFL history in their tracks. The Giants deserved that Super Bowl win.

Back to the Cowboys, just as Super Bowl winning teams have been consistently great enough to shake a fluke label, Romo has been just as consistent in choking games away. All this talk about Witten, Bryant (a terrific WR, for sure), and Miles Austin... it doesn't matter if your QB can not out play the other team's guy. Here's Marcellus Bennett calling for Jon Kitna to start over Romo. JON KITNA! The Cowboys do have some championship pieces, but you can say that about most teams, year after year. They do not have a championship caliber QB, and that is the most important piece in deciding the fate of a team. And the second is defense. The Cowboys do not have a good defense. They have Ware and Ratliff. Bradie James is pretty good, too. Newman is aging and is probably best served as a nickel corner these days. Mike Jenkins is a knucklehead. He has some talent, but he's not an upper echelon corner. Ask the '09 Giants if you can win with a bad secondary.

As far as our MLB situation you have mentioned... I don't remember our MLB covering tight ends very often. Besides, in the game that you guys won against us last year, Witten had 1 catch for 7 yards. You should want Bryant and Austin to get the ball a lot more than Witten. More often that not, it's going to be one of our talented safeties though or Michael Boley who covers Witten. While Witten is a rare talent that can win most matchups with just about anybody, it's not like I'm scared of him dominating us, either. We have a good defense and a good coordinator that can scheme. We have talented corners, good safeties, and a spectacular pass rush. The Cowboys fall short in that comparison in every regard. The linebacker situation is unsettled. But in our defense, linebackers are much less critical than in your team's defense. We play a LOT of 4-2-5. Boley gets a lot of criticism on this board and elsewhere, but he's a very good coverage linebacker and he has not been the problem on this team the last couple of seasons. We could upgrade our MLB position, for sure, but we just drafted a guy who was extremely productive in the Big Ten, Greg Jones out of Michigan State. He may be the answer, maybe not. But this is not a make or break position in our defense. With the talent we have up front and in the secondary, we just need a guy there who's going to be good enough, we don't need a perennial pro bowler there.

It's kind of funny to me that a Cowboys' fan would come here and talk smack after recent seasons they've had, last year in particular. They've seemingly been the preseason favorite, paper champs every year, and then they go out and fail to meet expectations. Maybe it's time to stop crowing in the preseason, you think?

jim, no offense, but can we all get the crib notes next time?

about the fluke, refer to my post to fish above, and the rest of the 13 or so pages of debate. your points have been shared by your counterparts, and already commented on.

first, kitna is a good qb. he's no chump. he could start on half the teams in the league. not to mention he benefitted from better play from his teammates than romo had.

second, bennett isn't calling for him to start. he's saying there should be competition at the position.

third, he also says 'romo is awesome'

fourth, romo was clearly not the problem in the implosion.

i agree with bennett btw. why should any player feel like they've solidified their position before the season has started.

competition brings better play from everyone. maybe elisha would show some improvement if he had a little competition in tc. or a real qb coach for that matter.

we've discussed in another thread what kind of qb is required to win the big game. as it turns out it's not 'championship caliber'

more important is defense, good coaching, and taking care of the football.

granted, our defense was horrible last year. i'll chalk that up to wade and the team implosion.

a team doesn't just drop from 2nd ranked defense to 31st in a year, when the core players are the same.

wade lost the team in the offseason, imo.

with wade our defense gave up 209 points in our first six losses. without wade we gave 184 pts in the final 8 games vs much better teams.

your safeties did most of the te work. that's specifically because you don't have a decent mlb. that's also the reason you play a lot of 4-2-5.

that's also the reason peyton manning and aaron rodgers tore you a new ass.

fewell's schemes are not good. they're dated and do not work against the better qb's. wether or not he's a good coach is debateable.

greg jones huh? good luck with that.

the 'recent seasons' we've had are two playoff qualifiers in 4 years. same as the gints.

any fan who doesn't talk up his team in preseason, does not believe in said team. period.

please, summarize your next posts

But you understand by virtue of being our rival, you calling it a "fluke" comes off more as sour grapes than anything else right?

how did it come off when storm said it? or when tyree said it was 'angels or god'?

the fact is, i wanted the gints to win. i cannot stand the smugness of the 2007 pats, and the only team i want to go undefeated is mine.

i read another good name for the tyree play.

the giant snatch, it fits perfectly: no one wants a giant snatch, but when it's near closing time, you take what you can get.

how did it come off when storm said it? or when tyree said it was 'angels or god'?

the fact is, i wanted the gints to win. i cannot stand the smugness of the 2007 pats, and the only team i want to go undefeated is mine.

i read another good name for the tyree play.

the giant snatch, it fits perfectly: no one wants a giant snatch, but when it's near closing time, you take what you can get.

Yep.. fine by me just don't forget that before we faced the pats we had to stomp on 3 other teams.. on the road.... That look on Jerry Jones' face was priceless.

Just an FYI......Riks the guy that can make it inactive....... :)

you don't say. imagine the coincidence of me saying that to him in that case.

if only there were an indicator of some sort informing posters' that he is, in fact, a moderator.

:facepalm:

you don't say. imagine the coincidence of me saying that to him in that case.

if only there were an indicator of some sort informing posters' that he is, in fact, a moderator.

:facepalm:

Just wasn't sure if you knew. :rolleyes:

about the fluke, refer to my post to fish above, and the rest of the 13 or so pages of debate. your points have been shared by your counterparts, and already commented on.

first, kitna is a good qb. he's no chump. he could start on half the teams in the league. not to mention he benefitted from better play from his teammates than romo had.

second, bennett isn't calling for him to start. he's saying there should be competition at the position.

i agree with bennett btw. why should any player feel like they've solidified their position before the season has started.

competition brings better play from everyone. maybe elisha would show some improvement if he had a little competition in tc. or a real qb coach for that matter.

we've discussed in another thread what kind of qb is required to win the big game. as it turns out it's not 'championship caliber'

granted, our defense was horrible last year. i'll chalk that up to wade and the team implosion.

a team doesn't just drop from 2nd ranked defense to 31st in a year, when the core players are the same.

with wade our defense gave up 209 points in our first six losses. without wade we gave 184 pts in the final 8 games vs much better teams.

your safeties did most of the te work. that's specifically because you don't have a decent mlb. that's also the reason you play a lot of 4-2-5.

fewell's schemes are not good. they're dated and do not work against the better qb's. wether or not he's a good coach is debateable.

the 'recent seasons' we've had are two playoff qualifiers in 4 years. same as the gints.

any fan who doesn't talk up his team in preseason, does not believe in said team. period.

I do agree with you that Fewell's schemes kind of suck. I can't believe there are teams out there that have even considered the thought of having him be their head coach. But in his defense, we could use a linebacker overhaul....it's been mediocre for years.

Kitna is 38 years old and is a statue in the pocket. Sure, he could start for a number of teams in the NFL, but that's because there is a dearth of good QB's in the NFL, not because Kitna is a great QB. Kitna falls into the David Garrard territory. Good enough to be good enough... but will never take a team to a championship.

And your point about QB's is just stupid. Anyone who knows jack about football will tell you that QB is the most important position on the team. Is a great QB absolutely necessary to win a championship? No, but it's much harder to do it without a really good one. The defenses on the Ravens, Bucs, and Bears teams were all time great defenses. But if you look at Super Bowl history you're going to find that most Super Bowl champions have a great QB leading the team... 8 of the last 10 Super Bowl winners had a franchise QB in that game where without that QB playing the way they did, that team doesn't win the Super Bowl. You could go back even farther to the previous 10, and I could say with certainty that all 10 of those teams had a franchise QB that played great football to win the big one.

Seriously, with Brees, Brady, Peyton, Montana, Young, Elway, hell, even Aikman. Even the '85 Bears... say what you want about McMahon, but he played terrific in that Super Bowl. They blew out the Patriots, but McMahon was a big part of that.