SportsWrath

Defensive Coordinator Prospects

Lughead

Here is a running list of Names floating floating around in the media circuit. I think Bob Sutton is the dark horse

Raheem Morris:

Steve Spagnuolo:

Bob Sutton:

Jim Schwartz:

Vic Fangio

Pepper Johnson:

Mike Nolan:

Mike Smith

Dennis Allen:

I'm reading that with Coughlin's status going into next season that DC of the NYG is not going to be an attractive position. I'm tempering expectations and prepping for a low-key, modest signing...Pepper Johnson might fit that mold, though....I'm concerned that no one has given the man a chance yet, though. Not sure if he's ever even gotten any interviews or interest....

Unfortunately I think Pepper Johnson is going to get overlooked again but hope I'm wrong. Giants have lacked the killer instinct on defense since Spagnuolo ran the defense years ago. Pepper Johnson could be the guy who brings that back to this team. Schwartz, Smith, and Allen wouldn't be good fits with head coaching jobs still available out there and any one of them would get anointed as the successor to Tom Coughlin in the media and could cause a rift in the organization.

Steve Spagnuolo had a good thing here and left so don't trust him to stay. I've seen the post here that he got dealt a bad hand with St. Louis and New Orleans which is bullshit since he knew exactly what he was walking into.

Unfortunately I think Pepper Johnson is going to get overlooked again but hope I'm wrong. Giants have lacked the killer instinct on defense since Spagnuolo ran the defense years ago. Pepper Johnson could be the guy who brings that back to this team. Schwartz, Smith, and Allen wouldn't be good fits with head coaching jobs still available out there and any one of them would get anointed as the successor to Tom Coughlin in the media and could cause a rift in the organization.

Steve Spagnuolo had a good thing here and left so don't trust him to stay. I've seen the post here that he got dealt a bad hand with St. Louis and New Orleans which is bullshit since he knew exactly what he was walking into.

I'm not sure he'll get overlooked... My guess is coaches/FOs talk to each other... And last I checked the Giants and the Patriots have mutual respect and wouldn't mind answering questions about prospective/potential hirings. I have no idea why Pepper Johnson hasn't gotten up the coaching ladder... I know Spags had success here and at least his defenses didn't bend over backwards... and for those who say he won't have a super star DE to save his ass... actually he does... my guess is he'll light a fire under JPPs ass and get this defense moving.

So true about spagnuolo.

I'm reading that with Coughlin's status going into next season that DC of the NYG is not going to be an attractive position. I'm tempering expectations and prepping for a low-key, modest signing...Pepper Johnson might fit that mold, though....I'm concerned that no one has given the man a chance yet, though. Not sure if he's ever even gotten any interviews or interest....

This. The hiring is not going to be a slam dunk type of hiring and probably be somebody nobody wants. It most likely will be Morris, who will be easy tio cut ties with

Exactly on Spags. It's not like he had no talent in St Louis. I don't get the dealt a bad hand stuff

And nas, there's absolutely no guarantees that Pierre-Paul stays with the giants. I'm leaning towards thinking he goes after a big contract somewhere, and he likely gets it.

That's fine... There's a big chance he stays and if he doesn't, the money saved would go to some shore up our team anyway... I don't look at it as though it's a bad thing all around...

I'm not sure he'll get overlooked... My guess is coaches/FOs talk to each other... And last I checked the Giants and the Patriots have mutual respect and wouldn't mind answering questions about prospective/potential hirings. I have no idea why Pepper Johnson hasn't gotten up the coaching ladder... I know Spags had success here and at least his defenses didn't bend over backwards... and for those who say he won't have a super star DE to save his ass... actually he does... my guess is he'll light a fire under JPPs ass and get this defense moving.

Given Pepper Johnson is currently with the Bills as a defensive line coach, http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/74678/could-pepper-johnson-be-defensive-coordinator-candidate-for-giants...

tell me again of why the Patriots would have anything to do with his potential hiring by the Giants.

Given Pepper Johnson is currently with the Bills as a defensive line coach, http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/74678/could-pepper-johnson-be-defensive-coordinator-candidate-for-giants...

tell me again of why the Patriots would have anything to do with his potential hiring by the Giants.

Ha? I'm talking about when a potential employer calls a former or current employer for reference.

Ha? I'm talking about when a potential employer calls a former or current employer for reference.

And why again would the Patriots be forthcoming on a former employee, thereby giving information to the Giants? This mutual respect you speak of, that you've checked on...where did you find this and what gives you the impression that this mutual respect will outweigh a competitive advantage?

We simply aren't going to agree on Spags. If you want to say he can't be a good HC, fine. But to see he's not a talented DC, a guy whose defense stopped the #1 fucking offense in NFL HISTORY, beating up a team with multiple Hall of Famers, I don't get that at all. And what difference does it make if you knkw what you are walking into? He got a HC gig, he has to try and make it work... If Bradford gave him one healthy season and performed anywhere close to his supposed potential, he might still be the coach there... Things didn't go his way but he had to give himself the chance to succeed. And btw, no defense is going to be good #1, without good players, and #2, without a competent offense that can stay on the field for any length of time. He didn't have #2 in St Louis, and while the defensive cubbard wasn't bare, he had maybe the worst offensive unit in the NFL during that time, because the man had no quarterback.

And say what you want about New Orleans, that defense sucked from a player stamdpoint.... Woooo he had Vilma for 11 games. Eleven games... Look it up. And BFD, Vilma was a good player sure, but the rest of that defense was an indictment of the front office ignoring that side of the ball for so long. Further, say what you want, but that Saints offense mailed in that season without Payton. It was an embarrassment. I know Spags is a good DC, he's well respected, he has an aggressive philosophy, and that's what the Giants identity has been in their history, and I want that back.

I don't really have a horse in this race--I don't care if we hire Spags or not.

All I'll say is he's overrated by Giants fans, and underrated by fans of other teams.

His one year at NO was a disaster, but that whole team was headless mess and it was clear before they even played a game that they were going nowhere. Their own players knew it, and played the season accordingly. No one would have done well in that situation--and it's unreasonable to hold that season against him. The NO defense had a terrible season this year, too.

He didn't do a good job with the Rams. But Bill Arnsparger was a shitty head coach, too. And Sam Bradford. Really. Sam Bradford.

He did have a great line in those years with us, although it was halved in 2008. Honestly, he did a pretty damn good job that year, considering he lost Strahan, Osi, Mitchell, and Torbor. Alford had a short season, and Madison only played 7 games. That's a pretty massive hit on the front 7, especially for a team that lived and died by the pass rush.

While I don't think he's Belichick, we were at the very least respectable while he was here; and I wouldn't mind getting to that level again. Then again, if we went in a different direction, I wouldn't cry over that, either.

If Pepper wasn't a fine LB for us, with two Super Bowl rings, would anybody be clamoring for him? And does the fact that he was a good player and we all loved him guarantee or even suggest fitness as a DC? Answer to both is NO! I have no idea why anyone wants to roll the dice with an unproven commodity. I want someone with a solid track record, someone who has been a DC before. Pass on Pepper.

If Pepper wasn't a fine LB for us, with two Super Bowl rings, would anybody be clamoring for him? And does the fact that he was a good player and we all loved him guarantee or even suggest fitness as a DC? Answer to both is NO! I have no idea why anyone wants to roll the dice with an unproven commodity. I want someone with a solid track record, someone who has been a DC before. Pass on Pepper.

Proven commodities are great if they weren't excellent head coach prospects. We are trying to rebuild the defense in terms of players, aggressiveness and performance which will take longer than a season. Pepper Johnson has been on some pretty good teams defensively as a coach under the mentorship of notable defensive minds. He might be unproven but far from long shot as a successful potential defensive coordinator.