SportsWrath

Fewell and Giants parting ways

jranieli

I remain convinced that if Nas owned this team, Giants fans would be flying planes and putting up billboards to sell the team.

Hey buddy, I'm not sure saying that about the only Arab member of the board is... well... lol wtf.

but anyway... Apparently I'm not the only with that thought process:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-giants-spagnuolo-dash-pepper-article-1.2069909

om Coughlin chose self-preservation over loyalty and now should choose Steve Spagnuolo as his new defensive coordinator.

Two things were clear after listening to Coughlin last Tuesday at his end-of-the-season news conference: He is not approaching 2015 as his final year in coaching and he planned for Perry Fewell to be his defensive coordinator.

So what happened?

Coughlin’s wish list was not mutually exclusive.

Even though John Mara said the final decision on the coaches was up to Coughlin, he also said he might break from Giants tradition and allow Coughlin to coach out the final year of his contract.

He also said, “Our defense did not play well this year.”

At that point, Mara and Coughlin had not yet had their postseason meeting. “I will give him my opinion,” Mara said last week.

Connect the dots: Perhaps no contract extension . . . Coughlin only half-kidding about wanting to coach another 10 years . . . Mara and Coughlin certainly had the meeting . . . Fewell and defensive backs coach Peter Giunta were fired on Wednesday.

I do approach the situation as though I'm in Mara's shoes... and in a way Reese as well. It's totally possible that 2 intelligent people can come to different conclusions or have different opinions. I look at opinions here and I can agree or disagree with them... not sure I would point out to the person I disagree with and mention him by name as to say he's delusional. I'll take my IQ against anyone... any day. The fact that the Giants FINALLY fired Fewel proves I was right all along... I don't wait for bad seasons to happen.. it's possible a team can win the SB and its defense can suck donkey balls... I think it may have happened before ;)

It's also possible for a team to win a Super Bowl with an awesome defense who cover the ass of a coordinator who sucks donkey balls, like Steve spagnuolo

True but that doesn't contradict what I said sooooo... besides saying Spags sucks donkey balls isn't exactly something I would agree with either.

True but that doesn't contradict what I said sooooo... besides saying Spags sucks donkey balls isn't exactly something I would agree with either.

He was responsible for the worst defense in the history of the nfl. And you're upset over a bottom 10 defense.

He was responsible for the worst defense in the history of the nfl. And you're upset over a bottom 10 defense.

Yes.. I am upset over being in the bottom 10 in a league of 32. I favor strong defense over a strong defense. And isn't it bullshit of you to consider the Saints D that was depleted with suspensions?

Yes.. I am upset over being in the bottom 10 in a league of 32. I favor strong defense over a strong defense. And isn't it bullshit of you to consider the Saints D that was depleted with suspensions?

You're totally wrong, I don't know where peole get this idea that they were "depleted" by suspensions. The suspensions were either overturned or the players were no longer with the team either. In the case of Fujita and Hargrove, they were on different teams, that's addition by subtraction anyway. Vilma missed 5 games, will smith missed zero.

And yet it is outlandish to give fewell the benefit of the doubt when his entire secondary gets decimated by injury, and the linebacker position is ignored for years...yet missing vilma for 5 games is "depleted by suspensions". Fewell didn't have his starting Mlb for virtually the entire season, yet you have an unhealthy hatred for the man.

Hey buddy, I'm not sure saying that about the only Arab member of the board is... well... lol wtf.

but anyway... Apparently I'm not the only with that thought process:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-giants-spagnuolo-dash-pepper-article-1.2069909

I do approach the situation as though I'm in Mara's shoes... and in a way Reese as well. It's totally possible that 2 intelligent people can come to different conclusions or have different opinions. I look at opinions here and I can agree or disagree with them... not sure I would point out to the person I disagree with and mention him by name as to say he's delusional. I'll take my IQ against anyone... any day. The fact that the Giants FINALLY fired Fewel proves I was right all along... I don't wait for bad seasons to happen.. it's possible a team can win the SB and its defense can suck donkey balls... I think it may have happened before ;)

Pretty sure the Giants can't even offer the job to Spagnuolo since he is an active staff member while the Baltimore Ravens are still in the playoffs. Do hope they use the time to interview everyone they can and should.

Spagnuolo would be a mistake. There's no superstar pass rushers on this team to save his ass.

Coughlin said change is necessary, not that revisiting nearly 10 years in the past for a guy who is nothing more than a defensive assistant right now is necessary.

They also got rid of the secondary coach.

Guess what position Spags has been coaching in Baltimore?

The secondary, plus he's been the assistant HC.

I don't want a Giants Spags reunion because he was a one trick pony but it's looking like it might happen.

Agree... this report just in... Michael Strahan is still retired...News at 11... :P

You're totally wrong, I don't know where peole get this idea that they were "depleted" by suspensions. The suspensions were either overturned or the players were no longer with the team either. In the case of Fujita and Hargrove, they were on different teams, that's addition by subtraction anyway. Vilma missed 5 games, will smith missed zero.

I admit I misremembered about the player suspensions, but let's not act like Will Smith is anything special, and 5 games is a significant loss for your best player to be out.

I don't know what to make of what happened in New Orleans as that was a unique moment in football history, and I don't hold Spags failure as a head coach against him as a coordinator. When he was here, he was a good coordinator. Nothing fantastic, but he's a known commodity - better him than anybody we've had since him.

Nothing fantastic? The guy was a damn genus. I loved watching QB's sweat not knowing from which direction they would get knocked on their ass from.

Such a genius that he hasn't sniffed as much as an interview for a coordinator position since New Orleans. Unless we were to interview him.

Such a genius that he hasn't sniffed as much as an interview for a coordinator position since New Orleans. Unless we were to interview him.

Jesus Christ ... wow any other profession and he wouldn't even be part of the conversation... :rolleyes: Guy catches lightning in a bottle and people expect it to magically happen again...

You question his defensive coordinator credentials based on three years coaching St. Louis and one season in New Orleans. I think he has the ability to coach a very good defense, I only doubt his commitment to see it through. Funny thing is Spagnuolo is coaching a unit right now that has been decimated by injuries and doing barely better than a Perry Fewell secondary at one point in the season. It did turn around though...

You question his defensive coordinator credentials based on three years coaching St. Louis and one season in New Orleans. I think he has the ability to coach a very good defense, I only doubt his commitment to see it through. Funny thing is Spagnuolo is coaching a unit right now that has been decimated by injuries and doing barely better than a Perry Fewell secondary at one point in the season. It did turn around though...

Ummm what? It's not me that's not giving him any interviews. I'm judging by the fact that no other team wants to even interview him.