SportsWrath

Fewell and Giants parting ways

jranieli

I dont like this idea of players or personnel coming back to us. Ultimately it means they failed elsewhere. Spags d was not as effective the second year. And he did the smart thing and took the rams job when he was offered. We got to goa different direction here, and pull from a seahawks or cards, someone who is part of a coaching staff playing good d right now

This doesn't make us better, it just gives us a chance. If things stayed the same, there was no chance.

Agreed.....but it's hard to imagine this defense getting any worse.

Just looking at the cast of candidates floating around, every one of them is a guy I would have traded for Fewell in a heartbeat last season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/41449/possible-replacements-for-perry-fewell

With Perry Fewell out after five years as New York Giants defensive coordinator, here's a partial list of possible replacements, in no particular order:

Pepper Johnson, defensive line coach, Buffalo Bills: Former Giants linebacker and two-time Super Bowl champion was with the New England Patriots' coaching staff for 14 years before joining Buffalo's in 2014. If the Giants decide to go the unproven-coordinator route as they did on offense last year with Ben McAdoo, Johnson will be among their top candidates.

Steve Spagnuolo, assistant head coach/secondary coach, Baltimore Ravens: Some in the Giants' hierarchy are pushing for a return of the coordinator who helped coach Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck & Co. to that Super Bowl XLII upset over the undefeated Patriots. But it's no sure thing, as the Giants want to look at all options. And that "assistant head coach" title could mean the Ravens (who are still alive in the playoffs) don't have to let Spagnuolo out of his contract for anything less than a head coach position.

Mike Smith, former Atlanta Falcons head coach: Smith was the Jaguars' defensive coordinator for five years before becoming Falcons head coach in 2008, and is well liked and respected by Giants coach Tom Coughlin.

Mike Nolan, Altanta Falcons defensive coordinator: Likely to be a free agent once Alanta hires Smith's replacement. Nolan was Giants' defensive coordinator from 1993-96 under Dan Reeves.

Dennis Allen, former Oakland Raiders head coach: Seen as a bright defensive mind who likely will be on several teams' lists as coordinator candidate.

Jim Schwartz, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator: Still under contract in Buffalo, but if the Bills' new head man wants to pick his own coordinator, the former Lions head coach will be among the hottest candidates around.

Vic Fangio, San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator: Fangio wants the Niners' head coaching job, and if he doesn't get it, he's not likely to stick around.

Just looking at the cast of candidates floating around, every one of them is a guy I would have traded for Fewell in a heartbeat last season.

I don't see Schwartz getting along with Coughlin

Yeah.....I closed my book on the 2014 defense after they lost to Dallas and were for all intents and purposes eliminated.

Yeah, the injuries were fucking brutal......but Seattle RUNNING for 350+ yards???.....come on, that's the sort of game that gets a DC fired.

Even in 2011, that was a 27th ranked, 400+ point allowing unit.

I can give a guy a mulligan for 1 bad year filled with injuries, but what we saw in 2014 was only a little worse than we've seen a few times before over the past 5 seasons.

It was definitely time for a change, and I hope the next DC is an aggressive coordinator who trusts his players to make shit happen out there.

With Spags, when the other team scored, I felt like it was a case of them earning it. Way too many easy yards allowed with Fewell's defenses over the years.

2013 showed that when you have a really smart, athletic MLB manning the middle of the field, Fewell's defense can work. People were hanging 40 points a game on us till Beason showed up... I don't think that was a coincidence.

The problem is, Beason is probably done... and athletic, genius MLBs don't just grow on trees.

Too much reading/reacting in Fewell's scheme and not enough "here's your gap, go attack it." We can surely do better.

Come back, Spags! I don't buy the narrative that because the defenses failed on the teams he was coaching as HC or failings with the Saints during Bountygate suspensions, that it means this guy isn't a good DC. Any DC needs players to succeed. He was dealt some pretty bad hands after leaving here. His attacking philosophy is what I like. He will make sure QB pressure is the top priority, and to me, that has to be the focus in today's NFL. BTW, the Ravens are playing damn good defense right now.

Come back, Spags! I don't buy the narrative that because the defenses failed on the teams he was coaching as HC or failings with the Saints during Bountygate suspensions, that it means this guy isn't a good DC. Any DC needs players to succeed. He was dealt some pretty bad hands after leaving here. His attacking philosophy is what I like. He will make sure QB pressure is the top priority, and to me, that has to be the focus in today's NFL. BTW, the Ravens are playing damn good defense right now.

I agree that Spags would be an upgrade.

Like you, I don't give as much weight to crappy situations like the QB-less Rams, and the Head Coach-less Bountygate Saints.

I give the most weight to what he did on the Giants, as DC, which happens to be the current opportunity.

I'd be ok with everyone but Nolan. Atlanta's D made ours look like the Steel Curtain the last two seasons.

Smith or Allen might not be a terrible choice--yeah, I just ruled out Nolan because of Atlanta, but Smith did get that team into the playoffs early on and had a little more on his plate than defense;, and with a coach that could be "retired" at any time, having a former head coach with some defensive knowledge wouldn't be a bad idea.

Actually, Allen is even more intriguing. Considering the "Black Hole" in Oakland could stand for their personnel dept and their cap space, he really didn't do a bad job--and his defenses were at least competitive.

Spags--meh, I could take it or leave it--but still an upgrade.

Johnson at this point scares me--all this time and still a position coach? What's going on there?

I doubt Fangio is going to be a DC this year.

I'd be ok with everyone but Nolan. Atlanta's D made ours look like the Steel Curtain the last two seasons.

Smith or Allen might not be a terrible choice--yeah, I just ruled out Nolan because of Atlanta, but Smith did get that team into the playoffs early on and had a little more on his plate than defense;, and with a coach that could be "retired" at any time, having a former head coach with some defensive knowledge wouldn't be a bad idea.

Actually, Allen is even more intriguing. Considering the "Black Hole" in Oakland could stand for their personnel dept and their cap space, he really didn't do a bad job--and his defenses were at least competitive.

Spags--meh, I could take it or leave it--but still an upgrade.

Johnson at this point scares me--all this time and still a position coach? What's going on there?

I doubt Fangio is going to be a DC this year.

Jesus, I almost spit my lunch on the screen when I saw Nolan's name!

Jesus, I almost spit my lunch on the screen when I saw Nolan's name!

Nolan is a pretty terrible DC, and I thought he was overrated when he was here, but there would be a few positives.

113570927_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=7

1. He's a handsome sumbitch, and could team nicely with Quinn as dual handsome sumbitches.

2. If Quinn goes, we'll need at least one totally incompetent, yet handsome sumbitch. Nolan fits that role nicely.

I'm suprised no one mentioned Seattle Seahawks secondary coach Kris Richard as a replacement. Last year we helped promote the QB coach for the best QB in the NFL IMO to OC. Why not help promote the secondary coach of the best defense in the NFL? He will be a DC somewhere next year. Book it.

You should be thanking and apologizing to tom coughlin for essentially saying he only hires guys who kisses his ass and only fires guys who don't

Umm no.. he was fucking forced to fire this one too... I just know that's what happened... the writing was on the wall.. you don't wait years to figure out the dude in charge of your defense is an idiot...

Schwartz is sort of crazy. Would prefer Pepper Johnson.

No TC is the crazy one... and it's only for one year.. I need a crazy headcase leading my defense thank you... I've had enough watching Fewel looking still.

Vilma missed four games. Everyone else was either on another team or not "suspended," as you say. His defense gave up the most points in NFL HISTORY. Bring back Michael strahan and justin tuck in his prime to carry his ass and I'd say go ahead and get spagnuolo too. But rebuilding the defense around a guy who hasn't succeeded with anything less than what he had in NY in 2007 is not prudent.

Umm no.. he was fucking forced to fire this one too... I just know that's what happened... the writing was on the wall.. you don't wait years to figure out the dude in charge of your defense is an idiot...

That's ignorant.

You like making shit up, lol

:rolleyes: you go ahead and defend Teflon Tom.. I know if I sucked at my job 3 out of 4 years, I'd be without a job... hell I'm not even sure what you're arguing? Are you saying Coughlin fires deadbeats all the time? I wouldn't be surprised if the FO slipped out the previous article about Fewshit and Quinn and staying just to gage fan reaction... and they probably heard us loud and clear.

You like making shit up, lol

Naww man when the owners and everyone in the front office are saying that Coughlin is responsible for Fewell's fate this offseason and he didnt fire him day one, it was obviously because Coughlin has all the control he wanted to keep Fewell.

Now that he was fired it's obvious that it was because the owners made him do it, despite everything they have said.

:rolleyes: you go ahead and defend Teflon Tom.. I know if I sucked at my job 3 out of 4 years, I'd be without a job... hell I'm not even sure what you're arguing? Are you saying Coughlin fires deadbeats all the time? I wouldn't be surprised if the FO slipped out the previous article about Fewshit and Quinn and staying just to gage fan reaction... and they probably heard us loud and clear.

I think TC deserved another go.

Glad he switched gears at DC, I think bringing Spags back makes the most sense given the very small window of improvement that TC is getting from Mara.

Can't jerk around with on the job training for the DC.....I think they need someone who knows how to work the copier.