SportsWrath

Fewell and Giants parting ways

jranieli

I'm not one to blame him for everything and he needed to go, but we just didn't have good enough people out there in the first place, too many issues all year. glad we get a new start though, something other than we have had.

I'm not one to blame him for everything and he needed to go, but we just didn't have good enough people out there in the first place, too many issues all year. glad we get a new start though, something other than we have had.

Agreed.

He was an average DC, who played a system that relied on offensive mistakes to thrive. The NFL has changed to the extent that offenses need to be disrupted to run a respectable defense; with the athletic caliber of QBs, TEs, and WRs, plus rule changes, a QB can sit back in the pocket and pick apart any Cover 2.

And as with Gilbride, I think Fewell is paying a price for crappy draft picks, questionable free agent decisions, and a rash of injuries. Reese and the training staff played a big part in the failures of the defense.

Still, the Giants need a very good DC to cope with all the issues that come up during the season. Fewell was not a very good DC. Not saying he sucked, but he just wasn't good enough to overcome all the other issues.

Fewell deserves credit and thanks for making the adjustments needed during the stretch run in 2011 to turn around the defense.

Spagnuolo would be a mistake. There's no superstar pass rushers on this team to save his ass.

Coughlin said change is necessary, not that revisiting nearly 10 years in the past for a guy who is nothing more than a defensive assistant right now is necessary.

They also got rid of the secondary coach.

Guess what position Spags has been coaching in Baltimore?

The secondary, plus he's been the assistant HC.

I don't want a Giants Spags reunion because he was a one trick pony but it's looking like it might happen.

Agreed.

He was an average DC, who played a system that relied on offensive mistakes to thrive. The NFL has changed to the extent that offenses need to be disrupted to run a respectable defense; with the athletic caliber of QBs, TEs, and WRs, plus rule changes, a QB can sit back in the pocket and pick apart any Cover 2.

And as with Gilbride, I think Fewell is paying a price for crappy draft picks, questionable free agent decisions, and a rash of injuries. Reese and the training staff played a big part in the failures of the defense.

Still, the Giants need a very good DC to cope with all the issues that come up during the season. Fewell was not a very good DC. Not saying he sucked, but he just wasn't good enough to overcome all the other issues.

Fewell deserves credit and thanks for making the adjustments needed during the stretch run in 2011 to turn around the defense.

That being it right there Jomo, because even with all the change coming....we are going to need the sharpest dude we can get. Other than the scrubs we beat this year, the defense looked horrible against the better teams.

That being it right there Jomo, because even with all the change coming....we are going to need the sharpest dude we an get. Other than the scrubs we beat this year, the defense looked horrible against the better teams.

Yeah.....I closed my book on the 2014 defense after they lost to Dallas and were for all intents and purposes eliminated.

Yeah, the injuries were fucking brutal......but Seattle RUNNING for 350+ yards???.....come on, that's the sort of game that gets a DC fired.

Even in 2011, that was a 27th ranked, 400+ point allowing unit.

I can give a guy a mulligan for 1 bad year filled with injuries, but what we saw in 2014 was only a little worse than we've seen a few times before over the past 5 seasons.

It was definitely time for a change, and I hope the next DC is an aggressive coordinator who trusts his players to make shit happen out there.

With Spags, when the other team scored, I felt like it was a case of them earning it. Way too many easy yards allowed with Fewell's defenses over the years.

Yeah.....I closed my book on the 2014 defense after they lost to Dallas and were for all intents and purposes eliminated.

Yeah, the injuries were fucking brutal......but Seattle RUNNING for 350+ yards???.....come on, that's the sort of game that gets a DC fired.

I can give a guy a mulligan for 1 bad year filled with injuries, but what we saw in 2014 was only a little worse than we've seen a few times before over the past 5 seasons.

It was definitely time for a change, and I hope the next DC is an aggressive coordinator who trusts his players to make shit happen out there.

With Spags, when the other team scored, I felt like it was a case of them earning it. Way too many easy yards allowed with Fewell's defenses over the years.

The Dallas and 49er game we could have won, they didn't really beat us down....we screwed it up both times. I'm thinking if we had won both of those games he would be staying right now. so for me it worked out for the best, I'm tired of him and we have a few games against decent teams we can build on.

And if all that BS fails, we have the OBJ show to watch :laugh:

Agreed. I'm glad he's gone.....but no matter who we get, we need upgrades in personnel - a safety, MLB and maybe an OLB, too and a DE/pass rusher.....and if we lose our MLB and a good bit of our secondary again and if Rolle returns and gives us another so-so season and JPP returns and only gives us half a season, we won't need a new DC, we'll need a miracle worker.

They also got rid of the secondary coach.

Guess what position Spags has been coaching in Baltimore?

The secondary, plus he's been the assistant HC.

I don't want a Giants Spags reunion because he was a one trick pony but it's looking like it might happen.

Spags has been demoted 4x since leaving the Giants