6. New York Jets 4-12
7. Chicago Bears 5-11
8. Atlanta Falcons 6-10
9. New York Giants 6-10
10. St. Louis Rams 6-10

Multiple Teams Issue Second-Day Grade for Shaq Thompson

Updated Dec. 18, 2014

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Washington's Shaq Thompson was one of the players who received a lot of acclaim this season. The biggest reason for that was that the athletic linebacker took over duties as a running back for the Washington offense for a few weeks. With his contributions on offense and defense generating headlines, some draft pundits projected Thompson to go high in the first round. However, two teams we've spoken to say that they are grading Thompson as a day-two pick.

I've had Thompson listed as a day-two prospect because he hasn't had a season of big production. The 6-foot-1, 228-pound Thompson is fast and athletic, but he's never produced a big year. Entering his Bowl game against Oklahoma State, Thompson has 71 tackles, two tackles for a loss, one sack, four passes broken up, one interception and three forced fumbles. As a tailback, he averaged 7.5 yards per carry for 456 yards and two touchdowns.

Thompson is a Will (weak side) linebacker for a 4-3 defense, but isn't as good of a prospect as Lavonte David, who was a second-round pick. After asking a few teams, they felt that Thompson was worthy of a top-100 selection. One scouting director said, "I agree with you, not in Lavonte David category, but will get drafted in the second or third based on athletic ability. Shaq is a 4-3 Will linebacker." We followed up with a general manager of a team that could use Thompson, and is interested in him. He also felt that Thompson was a second- or third-rounder.

Thompson is weighing his options on whether to declare for the draft. It only takes one team to feel that Thompson is a first-rounder and pull the trigger on him on Thursday night, but scouts and personnel men from multiple teams have Thompson as a second-day pick.

My Top Ten

1.Tampa Bay-Marcus Mariota QB Oregon

2.Tennessee-Jameis Winston QB FSU

3.Jacksonville-Randy Gregory EDGE

4.Oakland-Leonard Williams DT USC

5.Washington-Shane Ray EDGE

6.NY Jets-Amari Cooper WR Alabama

7.Chicago-Landon Collins SS Alabama

8.Atlanta-Vic Beasley EDGE Clemson

9.NY Giants-Brandon Scherff OT/OG Iowa

10.St. Louis-Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame

Multiple Teams Issue Second-Day Grade for Shaq Thompson

Updated Dec. 18, 2014

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Washington's Shaq Thompson was one of the players who received a lot of acclaim this season. The biggest reason for that was that the athletic linebacker took over duties as a running back for the Washington offense for a few weeks. With his contributions on offense and defense generating headlines, some draft pundits projected Thompson to go high in the first round. However, two teams we've spoken to say that they are grading Thompson as a day-two pick.

I've had Thompson listed as a day-two prospect because he hasn't had a season of big production. The 6-foot-1, 228-pound Thompson is fast and athletic, but he's never produced a big year. Entering his Bowl game against Oklahoma State, Thompson has 71 tackles, two tackles for a loss, one sack, four passes broken up, one interception and three forced fumbles. As a tailback, he averaged 7.5 yards per carry for 456 yards and two touchdowns.

Thompson is a Will (weak side) linebacker for a 4-3 defense, but isn't as good of a prospect as Lavonte David, who was a second-round pick. After asking a few teams, they felt that Thompson was worthy of a top-100 selection. One scouting director said, "I agree with you, not in Lavonte David category, but will get drafted in the second or third based on athletic ability. Shaq is a 4-3 Will linebacker." We followed up with a general manager of a team that could use Thompson, and is interested in him. He also felt that Thompson was a second- or third-rounder.

Thompson is weighing his options on whether to declare for the draft. It only takes one team to feel that Thompson is a first-rounder and pull the trigger on him on Thursday night, but scouts and personnel men from multiple teams have Thompson as a second-day pick.

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. Not sure why sites like CBS Sports and others have him ranked top 10.

I'm pretty sure its head-to-head matchups, unless they've changed something in the past few years.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING
  1. Clubs not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.
  2. The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.
  3. The losers of the Conference Championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  4. The losers of the Divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  5. The losers of the Wild Card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by strength-of-schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength-of-schedule, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. Not sure why sites like CBS Sports and others have him ranked top 10.

Tree posted about him awhile back and I said he was a day 2 pick for me. He has trouble shedding blocks and most of his tackles are drag down tackles. 6'1 228 is giving him a lot of credit

Tree posted about him awhile back and I said he was a day 2 pick for me. He has trouble shedding blocks and most of his tackles are drag down tackles. 6'1 228 is giving him a lot of credit

It should be noted that I know absolutely nothing about college athletes (though I did call ODB as my pick last year).

It should be noted that I know absolutely nothing about college athletes (though I did call ODB as my pick last year).

You can't trust sites like walter football either. They say in that article they talked to " scouts" from two teams...who are those two teams and what D scheme do they run and who do they have already at LB? Could be put out there for he does fall to them or if he does drop walter football can go look how smart we are

You can't trust sites like walter football either. They say in that article they talked to " scouts" from two teams...who are those two teams and what D scheme do they run and who do they have already at LB? Could be put out there for he does fall to them or if he does drop walter football can go look how smart we are

Frankly put you cant really read anything leading into the draft.

Experts, internet "experts", draft pundits, I don't know how many "sure fire" players are gone in under three years and how many undrafted players become the next big thing.

I just say who cares until your team picks the player then do as much research on the kid as you can.

I think top 10 is too high for a safety.

I'm really hoping now that Winston didn't play himself out of the top 8 picks. Said before I think he's being overrated. Having the 2 QBs go in the top 8 increase the chances shifts players down the board to us. Then again, if Winston is sitting there and Mariota is gone...our pick becomes awfully valuable I'd think...because as much of a dropoff as there is from Mariota to Winston...from Winston to the next guy is greater...or so it seems at this point.

I'm sticking to the following for now: 1. DE/WR -- 2. OG/C -- 3. DE/WR (whichever wasn't picked in the first) -- 4. LB

I think top 10 is too high for a safety.

I'm really hoping now that Winston didn't play himself out of the top 8 picks. Said before I think he's being overrated. Having the 2 QBs go in the top 8 increase the chances shifts players down the board to us. Then again, if Winston is sitting there and Mariota is gone...our pick becomes awfully valuable I'd think...because as much of a dropoff as there is from Mariota to Winston...from Winston to the next guy is greater...or so it seems at this point.

I'm sticking to the following for now: 1. DE/WR -- 2. OG/C -- 3. DE/WR (whichever wasn't picked in the first) -- 4. LB

Not that I'm big into college football since it's just pee-wee with more money but I thought I read Winston is going to focus on baseball and not football?

I thought Winston showed well yesterday. It's not like he's has a lot of experience in getting shellaced.

But his field presence was good. And he's definitely a pocket passer. I would take him on a team that needs a QB.