SportsWrath

Strategy: Signing or Trader for Eli's Replacement

NeMesiS

I know everyone is fixated on drafting a QB. But, has anyone here thought maybe our QB of the future is playing for another team.

Hey, why not see if we can sign Nick Foles? He had his best season under Pat Shurmur. And I think Fringe had a great Idea. Trading for Derrick Carr.

thoughts??

I don't know if the future QB of this team is in free agency this year, but my feeling on the draft is: If in evaluating these guys, i.e. Haskins, Jones, Finley, or Lock, the giants feel they have a potential franchise QB, you take them there in the draft this year. You can't assume you'll be in a position to draft a potential franchise QB next year, and you also can't assume any of these 2020 prospects like Tua, Herbert, Frohm will still be considered top prospects by that time. Even if you assume we'll have a bad year, so will other teams looking for a QB.

For instance, let's say we pass on a QB in the draft this year, go 5-11 drafting #6 again next year, and it turns out that Tua goes #1 to whatever other team is drafting there, turns out Herbert does not have a great year and is demoted to 2nd, Frohm doesn't work out as expected...we're left holding the bag with no-one.

I'd take Foles in a second. If he shows up big in the playoffs again though, I cant see how Philly can put him on the bench again.

I think Philly is on the hook for $20 million if he stays with them next year... so you have to assume he will be gone. But he might also be the top FA QB and demand a bigger payday than he is worth.... The Schumer connection is a good point though... the devil you know....

Nick Foles is a place holder not a franchise QB. Giants can't afford to go into free agency for a QB, few teams in the NFL can and succeed. We have to draft one if it is this year or the next and I would wait till the next year.

Nick Foles is a place holder not a franchise QB. Giants can't afford to go into free agency for a QB, few teams in the NFL can and succeed. We have to draft one if it is this year or the next and I would wait till the next year.

There are placed holders and then there are place holders... having a Nick Foles or a Bridgewater on the team solidifies your QB position for at least 6 years... it let's the FO focus on shoring up the bloody defense.

There are placed holders and then there are place holders... having a Nick Foles or a Bridgewater on the team solidifies your QB position for at least 6 years... it let's the FO focus on shoring up the bloody defense.

You'll be paying them upwards of $20 million a year for the privilege. The defense can be quickly turned around if we have another solid draft and keep the defensive core players intact.

Whether or not you think Eli has another year left in him to me is irrelevant because this team is more than just a few FA moves or draft picks away from being a valid contender. For instance, the entire OL is still garbage as a whole. I hate to say it, but this team will not be in contention for anything next year.

Blow it up and start the rebuild. I'd prefer a draft pick, but am open to Foles instead as part of that, though he'll have to be open to a transition year in 2019.

You'll be paying them upwards of $20 million a year for the privilege. The defense can be quickly turned around if we have another solid draft and keep the defensive core players intact.

LOL...this defense is trash. We currently have no CB depth behind Jenkins, and Jenkins is up and down. No pass rush. Terrible against the run. Awful Safeties other than Landon Collins. who is a box safety only. The only capable starters on the defense currently are Vernon, Tomlinson, Hill, Ogeltree, Jenkins (a likely cap cut), Collins (free agent who will demand big money).

So where are we finding 5-6 more starters on defense that can make an immediate impact, plus depth (on top of offensive issues we need to address)? Please don't say Sam Beal...please.

Options

Bite it on Eli one more year and hope the kid at Clemson comes out early in 20' or we get a shot at the Alabama QB with all the vowels in his name.

Give up a 3 for Mullins in San Fransisco. ..he looks like he has the shit.

Bring in Kapernick for a workout and if the Jersey State Police and the NYPD don't burn down Met Life....give it a go for a couple a years.

One word...TEBOW. Bout time we got some religion up in this bitch.

C. Wagon

Options

Bite it on Eli one more year and hope the kid at Clemson comes out early in 20' or we get a shot at the Alabama QB with all the vowels in his name.

Give up a 3 for Mullins in San Fransisco. ..he looks like he has the shit.

Bring in Kapernick for a workout and if the Jersey State Police and the NYPD don't burn down Met Life....give it a go for a couple a years.

One word...TEBOW. Bout time we got some religion up in this bitch.

C. Wagon

I believe Trevor Lawrence isn't eligible until the 2021 draft.

I'm not sure if you are joking about Mullins or not but I'd definitely be open to that sort of trade.

Forget Mullens- keep Eli and get Kittles.

I said he would be a steal when the 9'ers got him.

We have two new ones coming out this year...Fant and Hockenson....Fant is the one that will go in the first round...he is big and fast....but he is one trick pony seam and wheel routes.......average block and terrible route runner....but Hockenson (Maxwell winner) is the guy you want.....6'7" of Kittle.

C. Wagon

LOL...this defense is trash. We currently have no CB depth behind Jenkins, and Jenkins is up and down. No pass rush. Terrible against the run. Awful Safeties other than Landon Collins. who is a box safety only. The only capable starters on the defense currently are Vernon, Tomlinson, Hill, Ogeltree, Jenkins (a likely cap cut), Collins (free agent who will demand big money).

So where are we finding 5-6 more starters on defense that can make an immediate impact, plus depth (on top of offensive issues we need to address)? Please don't say Sam Beal...please.

There is the draft and free agency. Do you realize we found one offensive lineman during the season that had an immediate impact. Three games over 20 points in the first half of the season, Seven games over 20 points in the second half.

You don't need to find 5-6 guys to have an immediate impact.

There is the draft and free agency. Do you realize we found one offensive lineman during the season that had an immediate impact. Three games over 20 points in the first half of the season, Seven games over 20 points in the second half.

You don't need to find 5-6 guys to have an immediate impact.

Your logic works well in a universe with unlimited cap money and FAs.

Can't trade Eli, he has a no trade clause and loves, loves, loves where he's at.

Let him ride out '19 and concentrate on that oline. Trade Lauletta for picks and grab some journeyman in free agency. Damn near every pick should be spent on the oline. Of course, if you do that and leave the D hanging you'll get the same results as the Chiefs. Score 35 points a game and let the other team catch you in the 4th. Gonna have to figure '19 is a wasted season and wait for the '20 draft for the franchise QB and shore up the D.

Unfortunately this shit takes time to build, we should get our 5th ring in '22.

I don't think you can sign a replacement this year in FA, I'd rather draft a rookie and roll with him and Eli instead of wasting another 15+ million on a QB.

Eli can't be traded so you have to eat his cap hit regardless if he stays or is cut, so you might as well keep him on the team in 2019.

The question is;

1) Do Getty/Shurmur/Shula think they can find their QB in this draft or next years?

2) Do you risk the Giants having a good year ending up around pick 20 and have to trade a fuck ton of picks just to move up to #1/2 to get Herbert/Tua?

3)Think the next guy to get us to the playoffs is on another team? And trade some picks for them? (Very very rare and unlikely scenario)

Each has it's pros and cons.

I think they go with a QB this year, and try to find Oline help in FA and the later rounds.

Build the defence next years draft.

But honestly I'm fine with them skipping a QB and just rolling into next year with Eli and Lauletta and grabbing best player available at #6.

Giants are not going to trade or release Eli - and Eli does not want to retire yet. There are two options as I see it.

1: Draft a QB at 6 (Haskins) and let him sit behind Eli a year for his going out party.

2: Sephs idea of trading back this year to put a package of picks together to trade up for Hebert or Tua next year.

Either one of those is cool, but there is zero chance of the Giants brass letting Gettleman get rid of Eli. The only other thing that could happen is the Giants sit down with Eli again and say "Hey, we have the opportunity to trade for Carr, but we don't want to trade or release you and tarnish your legacy or our relationship. We need you to retire and come work for the Giants as a special assistant to the GM/coach, whatever".

Foles, Bridgwater - pass.

Can't trade Eli, he has a no trade clause and loves, loves, loves where he's at.

Let him ride out '19 and concentrate on that oline. Trade Lauletta for picks and grab some journeyman in free agency. Damn near every pick should be spent on the oline. Of course, if you do that and leave the D hanging you'll get the same results as the Chiefs. Score 35 points a game and let the other team catch you in the 4th. Gonna have to figure '19 is a wasted season and wait for the '20 draft for the franchise QB and shore up the D.

Unfortunately this shit takes time to build, we should get our 5th ring in '22.

Lulu isnt worth anything for anyone to trade for him.