SportsWrath

Can the Mets overcome the Odds?

xxi-xxv

Brilliant come back. Take you long to come up with that one?

If you take off the :furious: at my team glasses, you will notice that my post was not about bragging that we are going all the way, or that we will even continue at this pace.

I was merely pointing out that while our pitchers have been ripped apart for being mediocre at best, we seem to be doing pretty well...even to the surprise of many sports writers here in Philly.

I hate the Braves more than the Phillies actually.

None withstanding, you make the playoff against a decent pitching team,

you aren't winning a single game. Look no further than the Texas Rangers of

the late 90's...they could mash the ball, but when they played the Yankees all

those years they got whupped.

doesn't philly have the best bullpen era in the league? that doesnt sound like bad pitching. right now, phils look pretty strong.

Still not bragging...still not shouting out predictions...

Still not sure why you feel the need to constantly point this out. Keep it up though. It could make for a very interesting "revival" of a thread, come October.

doesn't philly have the best bullpen era in the league? that doesnt sound like bad pitching. right now, phils look pretty strong.

Forget it darlin'. He's a lost cause.

Still not bragging...still not shouting out predictions...

Still not sure why you feel the need to constantly point this out. Keep it up though. It could make for a very interesting "revival" of a thread, come October.

I point it out because I speak the truth, just like I do with the Mets. Just because the Mets

have a semi rivalry with the Phillies doesn't mean I can't critique them.

And no one is beating the Cubs in the playoffs, the curse of 1908 ends this year I believe.

On top of the best bullpen ERA, the Phils have the 4th or 5th best team ERA in the NL. The Phillies are known for their lineup, but their pitching has been pretty damn good so far itself.

:yikes: :o:TD:

I point it out because I speak the truth, just like I do with the Mets. Just because the Mets

have a semi rivalry with the Phillies doesn't mean I can't critique them.

And no one is beating the Cubs in the playoffs, the curse of 1908 ends this year I believe.

good teams dont get swept by the pads the way we just did. average teams don't get swept by the pads the way we just did

what about below average(under .500) teams? they get swept by the pads right? they're only 3.5 games ahead of the pads--this isn't like pads sweeping the red sox or cubs

what about below average(under .500) teams? they get swept by the pads right? they're only 3.5 games ahead of the pads--this isn't like pads sweeping the red sox or cubs

I think GATEB's point was that good teams(which the Mets clearly are not)do not get swept by incerdibly shitty teams 10 games under .500 like the Pads are. At this point who cares who is how many games behind whom, if the Mets fancy themselves a good team and a contender no way in hell they get swept by a shitty team like th pads. No offense AA, but that team of yours is putrid and is missing their best pitchers to boot. The Mets are equally as shitty and have no exuse, other than they suck and will suck until the stench of 2007 is rid of the franchise.

They're not 10 games under .500. i hope repeatedly calling my team shitty is alleviating any pain the mets have caused you this year. we'll see how shitty they are in four months--i refuse to panic 9 weeks into the season. they are 6.5 games out of first place, met fans of all fans should not be discounting how small of a lead that really is. now please do me a favor and beat the diamondbacks

I think GATEB's point was that good teams(which the Mets clearly are not)do not get swept by incerdibly shitty teams 10 games under .500 like the Pads are. At this point who cares who is how many games behind whom, if the Mets fancy themselves a good team and a contender no way in hell they get swept by a shitty team like th pads. No offense AA, but that team of yours is putrid and is missing their best pitchers to boot. The Mets are equally as shitty and have no exuse, other than they suck and will suck until the stench of 2007 is rid of the franchise.

take a look at rubin's column from the dailynews today. he basically capped on what you'd been preaching since march...

They're not 10 games under .500. i hope repeatedly calling my team shitty is alleviating any pain the mets have caused you this year. we'll see how shitty they are in four months--i refuse to panic 9 weeks into the season. they are 6.5 games out of first place, met fans of all fans should not be discounting how small of a lead that really is. now please do me a favor and beat the diamondbacks

its not that margin that has us discouraged. hell we were discouraged when we were one game up. it's the clear sense of complacency, poor timely hitting, and zero consistency that makes all of us pretty sure this is a very average team.

id love to eat crow in august but i dont see that happening.

i know what you're saying, but things can turn around quick--the didn't look like a superbowl contender till the last game of the season last yera and even then it was doubtful we'd get there.

i know what you're saying, but things can turn around quick--the didn't look like a superbowl contender till the last game of the season last yera and even then it was doubtful we'd get there.

a few buddies of mine told me that and i definitely saw some similarities for a while... but the giants were just such a different dynamic.

the only thing that has me bordering around optmism is that baseball has turned into a league of 30 .500s giving us a chance...

they are not 10 games under 500 now after dealing with the shitty Mets. Sorry, but your team is shitty too, just not as shiity as the Mets this past weekend. by the way before the pads won 5 straight, when the mets faced them they were 14 games under .500. SO yes you are correct, your team is not 10 games under .500 but when referencing how pathetic it was for the Mets to lose 1 let alone 4 straight to them they were 10 games(actually more under .500). Hey they lose today they are 10 games under, but you get the point.

Sorry you are offended. 9 weeks in or not both of those teams are as putrid as you can get. I can onl imagine the 5 straight wins to climb to 9 under .500 has you stoked, much like it does on a night to night basis with Met fans that actually think they have a chance.

I actually hope we lose to the Diamondbacks to just stop the up and down nonsense.(well not really but)

im no eternal optimist by any means. but there are 100 games left in the season and this is a team that won 89 games last season and is getting peavy back thursday. i'm not surprised in the least that the pads swept the mets OR that they won a bunch of close late inning ball games--they made their bread doing that for the past 3 years and there's no reason to believe that 8 bad weeks changes anything. guess the phillies were shitty too with a 7.5 game deficit and 17 to play if the pads are shitty with a 6.5 game deficit and 100 to play. just keep beating up on owings, you're off to a good start so far

You can talk about the Phils, Mets, Braves and giants, but don't knock the Rangers. :furious:

Sorry, just wanted to get in on the angry action of this thread.

But seriously, the Rangers of 10 years ago is the first team to come to mind? Wouldn't the Yankees of the past several years be a little more current and validate the point just as well?

Damn Yankee luvers. <_<

im no eternal optimist by any means. but there are 100 games left in the season and this is a team that won 89 games last season and is getting peavy back thursday. i'm not surprised in the least that the pads swept the mets OR that they won a bunch of close late inning ball games--they made their bread doing that for the past 3 years and there's no reason to believe that 8 bad weeks changes anything. guess the phillies were shitty too with a 7.5 game deficit and 17 to play if the pads are shitty with a 6.5 game deficit and 100 to play. just keep beating up on owings, you're off to a good start so far

Thats my Mets, pissing away a 5-1 lead. <_<

Anyway I am glad you this week have more optimism than last week when I believe you cited how the Met/Pads series was what some felt was a 2007 NLCS preview 12 months ago and how things have really changed for the worse.

I am also glad you can have hope based on the 89 wins the Pads had last year, last I checked they too like the 88 win Mets sat home last year. IMO none of it means shit this year.

As for the games out relevance, the Phils were 7.5 games out yet were 10 games over .500. I am sorry Midas, I can care less how many games out the Mets are at this point(I will use them in my relevance to being shitty arguement)being under .500 is what I look at. If you prorate the 7 games out the Mets are over thecourse of 162 they will finish 19 games out.

And in reference to the Phils, since something like that had not happened in 12 years that was more an anomoly than what teams can expect. IMO the Mets are done. If you are still holding out hope that the Pads will come back and win the west I am pulling for ya, as for the Mets it aint happening.

Yep they are done, 9-5. Fucking blowing this one is really getting me going. Nevermind Maine giving up three runs but this shit is uncalled for. I will still follow them but getting closer to the count down of the Willie era and hopefully Omar too. Fuck this fucking shit.

You can talk about the Phils, Mets, Braves and giants, but don't knock the Rangers. :furious:

But seriously, the Rangers of 10 years ago is the first team to come to mind? Wouldn't the Yankees of the past several years be a little more current and validate the point just as well?

:unsure:

Pointing out completely irrelevent statistics is the way he rolls. Go figure.

:unsure:

Pointing out completely irrelevent statistics is the way he rolls. Go figure.

There is nothing irrelevant about the overwhelming statistics how good pitching beats good hitting in the playoffs, especially when considering you root for a team who will most likely have to overcome these "irrelevant" stats.

Now like I said before if the Phils get Sabathia ...... well then IMO they should win the NL.

It's only irrelevant to you.

Relevent, like the strength of the statistics of your pitching staff, touted in the beginning of the year?

Okay.

I'll reiterate, I only made mention to the fact that the pitching we have, seems to be holding their own.

I never said anything else.

Relevent, like the strength of the statistics of your pitching staff, touted in the beginning of the year?

Okay.

I'll reiterate, I only made mention to the fact that the pitching we have, seems to be holding their own.

I never said anything else.

Pay attention, pitching has not been the Mets problem and I knew that this team was gonna suck and no one can argue I called this a while back.

Facts are facts, normally teams without an ace or more so nowadays 2 do not win in the postseason. Maybe the mets can like loan Santana to the Phils for half a year with a promise to let the mets have Ryan Howard for like 2 months in 2009 :mellow: